Faux 14th century home
Hello All,

Unlike our European cousins across the sea, we don't have lots of cool historic buildings for our events. None, matter of fact. :cry:

Last winter a very talented couple ( with the help of most of the rest of the group) built a full sized model home for events so the American general public have get a clue what these houses looked like. I know it's not 100 % correct, but for the wilds of Alaska it will do.

Here is a vid that hints at it's construction and shows it's use via tours at our event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXih8SOGS8U

You can see it over my shoulder in this picture.

Cheers,

David
That's awesome...

I wish I could do something like that!
Agreed. It is awesome!

I have two questions:

1) What are the mat looking things on the roof?

2) Does it in fact lean or is that an artifact of the picture?

Cheers,
Steven
That's pretty darn cool, Dave - seeing as it is *portable* makes it cooler.
Given ramifications nice trial :)
Guess that "mats" on roof are "thatching" ? For northern Europe roof slope is bit shallow, should have 50-60 deg slope, at least that's common for Poland .Something to have in mind in next project.
Dark wood/white walls seem to be XIX-c idea, originals were often coloured and otherwise decorated. Most of that was sanitized in XIX c to look more "haute couture" (thank you, Viollet-le-Duc :evil: ). To give the idea- place mental image of white-ish Notre dame side by side with this :

Attachment: 24.03 KB
KoscMariackiKrakow.jpg
St. Mary's Church, Krakow, Main Altar, Photo by Bart Van den Bosch
The white/black thing is a 19th century thing. There are a few buildings here in the UK that have the whole exterior lime washed, sometimes with colour added.
Lavenham Guildhall
[ Linked Image ]

That aside, I think a portable medieval house is a great idea for events and the like.
Phil
Dave,

Very cool! I have thought about doing this in the US as well. After living in England for much of the last decade I really miss the cool visible history around town.

I want to build somethinf like Barley Hall in York! http://www.barleyhall.org.uk/

RPM

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: