Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > info wanted on dark ages archer's quiver Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: info wanted on dark ages archer's quiver         Reply with quote

from the few sources that i have been able to find, mainly the baieux tapestry for original source and some photos of viking and norman reenactor found on google for modern source, looks like if it was common for archer to suspend quiver from a waist belt, the quiver looks also mainly of leather construction as opposed to textile arrow bag style that was common starting from the XIVth century. i was wondering if someone can provide me a good picture of a quiver suited for a period spanning from 900-1200 A.D, original pictorial source would be great but also reproduction are welcome, i'm interested also in learning an historical metod for attaching the quiver to the belt .

thanks for help
K J Seago

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

on quivers, regia anglorum seems to go against the bayeux tapestry and has banned back quivers, but they do allow tubular quivers of most types i've seen mostly leather but have heard of wood like the needham bog one and birch bark sounds good i have seen willow ones woven and cloth ones as well, most just have a loop or slit and seem just to go straight onto a belt from that, i suggest something individual like a wickerwork one- but that all depends on taste!
good luck!

just another student of an interesting subject, Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > info wanted on dark ages archer's quiver
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic