Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scottish Portraits with Arms Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
David Teague

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:
Thom R. wrote:
Alastair Grant with his claidheam crom

That is a very interesting looking blade. It looks like some kind of falchion or even messer mated to a baskethilt. That or I could not be totally awake as of yet.

Scott

It is a saber blade. There are a couple of examples of basket hilts with saber blades, so this is not just artistic license.

Hello All,

Those of us who study historic swordplay can offer a very logical reason for Alastair Grant and his claidheam crom.

When facing a curved blade with a straight blade, the curved blade can cut you from the opening bind by just tuning the hand palm down as the riposte. It also can strike around the straight blade in the same fashion if the straight blade fencer attempts to take the others side via the traversing step. A curved blade forces a straight blade fencer to fight a linear fight and parry all blows by slipping back and using his forte.

If a period fencer had never faced a curved blade and tried to fence his standard fight he'd be cut in the first exchange before he knew what happened. Confused

Cheers,

David

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott....

Here is how I went about mking a Turkisch (basket-hilted Scottish saber) for my collection. I started out with a Hanwei baskethilt and added fluting and grooves to make it less plain. Then I bought a Cold Steel 1796 saber, disassembled it and discarded everything but the blade (the hilt is olny pot metal and the scabbard is fiberglass with a leather covering so no great loss!) I then ground the saber blade down but left a reinforced tip which seems to be common in the illustrations and added extra fullers to reduce weight. The blade got mated with the hilt and - volia - a very nice "Turkish" style saber.

One of the interesting things I have shared on this project in the past is that this is the only sword in my collection that - when held - says "Let's reach out and TOUCH someone." It is definitly a sword that means business and looks as if it means business!

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In case you don't have it - here is a link to the online catalog of the Nat'l Gallery of Scotland, which houses a bunch of the paintings we all have posted here

http://www.nationalgalleries.org/collection/online_subject/4:323/
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In doing a search for the portrait of Kenneth Sutherland I ran across this link: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/historic_p...ml?t=51487 It is full of paintings I have not seen before.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to thank everyone for the responses and answers. It is some great information on an area of history I know little about..

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Goerner wrote:
In doing a search for the portrait of Kenneth Sutherland I ran across this link: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/historic_p...ml?t=51487 It is full of paintings I have not seen before.

Chris

I believe I posted it in a response yesterday.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
Chris Goerner wrote:

Chris

Lin,

I assume you are referring to having posted the portrait and not the link. Yes, it was your having posted the portrait that started me searching for more information about Sutherland and finding the link I posted above. The link has several portraits already posted here, but there are several others that were new for me.

Thanks for posting that portrait of Sutherland wearing the kilt with pistol as his waist. The painting of James Moray shown on this link shows the same thing, though it is possible his pistol may be clipped to his sword baldrick.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Goerner wrote:
Lin Robinson wrote:
Chris Goerner wrote:

Chris

Lin,

I assume you are referring to having posted the portrait and not the link. Yes, it was your having posted the portrait that started me searching for more information about Sutherland and finding the link I posted above. The link has several portraits already posted here, but there are several others that were new for me.

Thanks for posting that portrait of Sutherland wearing the kilt with pistol as his waist. The painting of James Moray shown on this link shows the same thing, though it is possible his pistol may be clipped to his sword baldrick.

Chris

That's right. Sorry about that. It was late and I was bleary eyed. I just joined that forum, running across it by accident. It doesn't have a lot of historical stuff on it, but the people are friendly and one of the moderators teaches with my daughter-in-law in Asheville, NC.

I am still looking for a portrait which shows a gentleman wearing two pistols, one on his waist and the other on a strap, under his arm. It will turn up eventually.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Perry L. Goss

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Scottish Portraits with Arms         Reply with quote

Chris Goerner wrote:
For a couple of years now I have been keeping my eye out for period art work of Scottish men and boys depicting their swords, dirks, pistols and targes. I have learned quite a bit about variations in these weapons and how they were worn. I am posting a few of my favorites, and would invite others interested in the topic to do the same. I'd love to see what's out there that I haven't come across already.

Chris

Great thread. One thing that I find very interesting is the powder horn on this kid in the very first picture. Not your atypical Scottish flat horn!

Chris, who is this guy, any clues?

And there is another portrait of Campbell of Bredalbane when he is older that I have seen. Mungo Murray died in Panama in 1700 or such and the folks in Darien, Ga have some info on him.

At any rate, thank you for this link even if it is an older one! Cool Always makes me wonder what is in private collections. I browse the US of A and know there are goodies here, but the owners for obvious reasons will not allow pictures or publication of any kind

Scottish: Ballentine, Black, Cameron, Chisholm, Cunningham, Crawford, Grant, Jaffray, MacFarlane, MacGillivray, MacKay-Reay/Strathnaver, Munro, Robertson, Sinclair, Wallace

Irish/Welsh: Bodkin, Mendenhall, Hackworth

Swiss: Goss von Rothenfluh, Naff von Zurich und Solland von Appenzel
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perry,

The tag I have on that photo of the boy with the powder horn is "Thomas Osborne". I do not know who that is -- may be the artist and not the subject. Maybe others on myArmoury will recognize the name and chime in.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Osborne,_4th_Duke_of_Leeds

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Thomas Osborne         Reply with quote

We Osborne's are an old family who got to Britiain farily early by way of the Norsemen. In Scottish heraldry, we are of the Galley, not the Lion. The name means "Sacred Bear", by the way. I have never seen a single piece of tartan cloth vaguely associated with "Osborne" so very interesting if true,
"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scottish Portraits with Arms
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: