Maximillian sword pictures
Hello everyone,

I've been looking for pictures of this particular longsword, which, based on the information I've come across in other topics belonged to Maximilian I. I have searched the forums and the photo albums, but so far this is the only picture I've been able to find.
A few years ago I received a postcard from a friend with a full shot of the messer pictured below. Are there any full images of the longsword available, either online or in books? I'd really appreciate any help, this is a beautiful sword and I'd like to learn more about it.

Attachment: 52.01 KB
ornate_swords06_s.jpg

Details
Hi Richard

I may have an article that describes these pieces somewhere. I will look and see if I can find it. Seems to me it was pictured disassembled if I remember right.

Best
Craig
I love that sword set... its beautiful..... I would like to know this information also...
Re: Details
Craig Johnson wrote:
Hi Richard

I may have an article that describes these pieces somewhere. I will look and see if I can find it. Seems to me it was pictured disassembled if I remember right.

Best
Craig

That would be great, thank you for your help!
Are the fullers on the Longsword made up from a serries of elongaed hexagonal indentations, or is that an artifact of the photo? Either way, beautiful and interesting.
Nat Lamb wrote:
Are the fullers on the Longsword made up from a serries of elongaed hexagonal indentations, or is that an artifact of the photo? Either way, beautiful and interesting.

It's possible. I remember on the full length picture of the messer I had (that I unfortunately can't find) there were indentations like that down the length of the blade. On the messer, the decorative imagery stops about halfway down the blade, so the indentations become very visible. I remember that specifically because I had never seen anything like it on a sword before.
Here's one with scabbard and by-knives. Source unknown.

Attachment: 34.92 KB
Messer-ca.1496-of-Maximilian-I-Germ.-.jpg

Hi there,

do you have any pictures, where the whole blade is shown? I am interested in especially the messer. Thanks :)
I drooled over this sword in last summer. Unfortunately, the Imperial Treasury (Schatzkammer) in Vienna is very poorly lit, so the photos are not that good.

Blade is really a complex geometry, with hexagonal "fullers", and strong "secondary bevel" edge. But it's very uniformly made, and straight. It's an amazing piece, photos don't do it justice.

Click on the thumbnails for larger images:

O.k., that is awesome. The 1hander of this set is the sword that sparked my interest in swords when I saw it in a book (image Michael posted) that my uncle gave me. But that longsword, wow. As a matter of interest, how would others clasify the blade Oakshott typology wise? from images I can see arguments for XVIa or XVII (hexagonal cross section) or XX because of the ullers. Opinion of people who actually know what they are talking about?
Blaz, thank you for sharing your pictures! With all the minute attention to detail, I can't imagine how long it must have taken to complete that sword.
Here are some black and white pics of the longsword.

From an article by Bruno Thomas published in a Met Museum Bulletin.

Attachment: 17.66 KB
Max Longsword.jpg

Attachment: 82.97 KB
Max Longsword Hilt.jpg

Attachment: 50.53 KB
Max Longsword detail.jpg
Blade detail
WOW !

A very inspiring and irresistibly tempting project !

Pure jewelry "a la" Faberge par excellence just the handle alone !

WOW !
"Last knight's" messer pictures, due to popular demand. :D

Imperial Armoury (Hofjagd und Rüstkammer) in Vienna was almost as dark as Treasury at this particular spot, and glass was highly reflective, so sorry for the bad images again.

Made by Hans Sumersperger of Hall in Tyrol for Maximilian I in 1496,

Thx Blaz, it certainly looks like a wicked piece of a knife :) . Anyone else noticed the lack of nagel ?
Found it finally
Finally found the publication with the pics of the breakdowns.

They are from Bruno Thomas's Kejser Maximilian I's tre Pragtsvaerd i Wien og Københaven in the Vaabenhistoriske Aarbøger, 1950-51.

They are quite interesting and show the complex pieces breaking down into their component pieces. I often find these kinds of illustrations help those who do not make pieces understand the way a craftsman must approach a highly detailed project.

Hope they are informative.

Best
Craig

Attachment: 86 KB
Mmes01.jpg
Messer grip components. Notice how simple elements go together to create an ornate design in depth.

Attachment: 86.53 KB
Msw02.jpg
Filets and panels for longsword grip with the cross and plates.

Attachment: 46.97 KB
Longsword grip core and parts. [ Download ]
Wow! Thanks for sharing those pics, the hilt is so much more complicated than I originally thought. They really do give the layman (like me) a better idea of what it takes to make something like that.
Craig-

That's truly awesome. Thank you for sharing those photos and also giving me yet another title I need to add to my library.
hello,
does anybody have detailed pictures from the scabbard of this Messer?
Or from other carved leather scabbards from the end of the15th century?
Thanks

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: