Needed info on early armet
Hello,

I am currently working on upgrading my kit from not-very-historically-correct-mid-14-century-like to more-historically-correct-early-15-century-like. The reason is to increase protection in order to allow me to fight with two-handed weapons and at the same time to reduce the weight of the full kit. I currently aim at year 1410. I would like to make myself an armet (the reason is simple: I already have made a bascinet and making a new one is not very interesting :) ). Therefore I am looking for images and descriptions of early armets. I have pictures of the two Churburg helmets. Armets also seem to be depicted in Floss Duellatorum, though the pictures are not very detailed. Are there any other surviving arments or their depictions from before let's say year 1430?

Aleksei.
I found myself in nearly this exact same position not five months ago. Aiming at a and early 15th century kit with the desire to wear an armet. Much to my dismay, I never could find an armet aside from the S-18 that had been labeled suitable for this time period. Of course it's lacking the visor though, a gentleman here named David E. Farrell owns a very cool reproduction of this helmet with a speculative visor. I suppose you could start with something like this if you're dead set on an armet. I eventually settled on having an interesting bascinet created that's visor was heavily influenced by later helms, including the armet. I was also influenced by the artwork in Fiore's book, and it does appear that there are indeed armets present.

You can find David's S-18 armet in this thread:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=18254&start=0

I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with, having found myself in your position recently. Best of luck.
Ther are a couple of armets from that period. The Churburg 18 has already been mentioned, and certainly some of the pictures in Fiore show early armets. Then there's the Churburg 57, and the Armet of Benedetto da Molteno from c. 1435.

Attachment: 14.5 KB
202.jpg
Fiore

Attachment: 167.55 KB
Armet of Benedetto da Molteno [ Download ]

Attachment: 86.66 KB
Churburg #57 [ Download ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: