Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > EBE Hand and a Half hilt, 2009 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Sam N.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 05 Aug, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps this belongs more in the thread about the function of that funny "gas-pedal" bit, but looking at it you can see that though it doesn't protect the hand during a normal zornhau-style true edge cut that much, were you to perform a right-to-left zwerchau with your thumb placed properly it would actually help catch any cut coming in from above. Huh, neat :P, perhaps it shows how often the zwerchau was used Wink.
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Thu 05 Aug, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that is a true work of art! Not really the type of swords I am most interested, but looks beautiful nevertheless. Coupled with a good blade it should be really, really wonderful sword.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I received an email from the guys at OlliN Sword Design that the blade is just about completed and mounted. They said the project should be completed any day now. I'm excited to see this one back in my hands and see what it's all about.

I really want to cut something...

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't wait to see this thing. Someday you should set up a shot with just your German collection. Big Grin
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Nathan and I were just talking, once again, about the organic look of German complex hilt swords--terminals like berries or nuts, bars like vines or twigs. It's sometimes quite literal, sometimes subtle. Although we might look at this pommel and think it's a cutler's fantasy, consider this seed pod from outside my office. Maybe Eljay's eye/mind for biology predisposes him to brilliance with these forms.

I think it would make sense for a background in biology to have this sort of effect. At school we have a project called "Natural Replication", where we are supposed to make a metal replica in exact detail (including weight) of natural object, without any casting. For obvious reasons, this is a very difficult and dreaded project (and don't ask to see mine Laughing Out Loud), but it really does teach you to pay attention to details, as well as to appreciate the brilliant "design solutions" in nature. So many transitions, connections, and lines in nature are beautiful and just seem *right*. It also makes sense given the aesthetic sensibilities of the period, which I believe were focused around referencing the natural world, thereby referencing "the work of God".

Also, this is a beautiful sword; I missed this thread the first time and I'm glad it resurfaced. Thanks for sharing!

www.addisondelisle.com
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I can't wait to see this thing. Someday you should set up a shot with just your German collection. Big Grin

That sounds good. I'm often looking for ideas for "groupings" and would be happy to entertain any ideas if you want to make a list. Happy

Without linking to the items or giving it too much thought, given that I'm working right now, I'm thinking that the group might be: A&A Custom "Swiss Saber", A&A Custom German Bastard Sword, EB Erickson Bavarian Longsword, this EBE 1525 Compound-hilted Longsword... and possibly my Phoenix Metal Creations Hand-and-a-Half Sword

That's the longer ones. I could also throw down the EBE Landsknecht Sword and the Albion Soldat grossemesser... and maybe the German daggers like the Llandknecht daggers from Tod's Stuff and A&A, Tod's Hauswehr, and Tod's Stag Bauernwehr and By-knives.

Hey, you got me thinking.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy to hear that this one will be done soon! Congrats, Nathan! I'm sure you'll post great photos when you get it. I would love to see your German collection too!
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In recent years I've tended to be attracted to the arms and armor of a specific culture and period rather than collect, say, all of one sword type, so that sort of photo group is especially appealing to me. You're one the few people I know who can do this because your German collection is so large, diverse and chronologically constrained.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can't wait to see this one finnished, love these compound hilted longswords. I'm sure the guys and Ollin will do a great job, as they always do.
Éirinn go Brách
Julien M

PostPosted: Fri 06 Dec, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Was browsing for E.B. Erickson past works as I do from time to time (these complex long sword hilts are among the best replica ever made to my opinion, this one being one of the most spectacular of all) and was wondering if any progress had been made on this one Nathan.

Is E.B. Erickson taking on commissions again by any chance (doesn't hurt to ask!) ? Happy

J
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 07 Dec, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nope. No new commissions taken at this time. Maybe in about a year or two I'll be ready to take on more work.

--ElJay
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 07 Dec, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
Was browsing for E.B. Erickson past works as I do from time to time (these complex long sword hilts are among the best replica ever made to my opinion, this one being one of the most spectacular of all) and was wondering if any progress had been made on this one Nathan.

Is E.B. Erickson taking on commissions again by any chance (doesn't hurt to ask!) ? Happy

J

As always, this project with EB Erickson was smooth sailing. ElJay is a true professional.

But once it hit my hands, the quest to get a blade made and mounted was full of true challenges requiring patience and other traits that I don't find are my strong suits.

It took two makers and one epicly failed attempt from the first maker, but about six months ago I received a truly excellent completed sword from Arms & Armor!

I hadn't remembered to take photos of the piece but will endeavour to do so soon! It's one of my favorite pieces now.

A&A made such a great completed piece that I just recently sent them another EBE hilt in need of a blade.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 23 Sep, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The completed sword can be seen here:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=32510

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > EBE Hand and a Half hilt, 2009
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: