saxon sword by Tod
Hi All,

I have just finished a Saxon sword for a customer and thought you may like to have a look.

The brief requested brass hilt furniture and was quite specific on the blade geometry, but otherwise I had a free hand and this is the result.

The blade is 25" and is by Owen Bush, the hilt is brass with a rivetted two part pommel and horn spacers. The scabbard is fleece lined, wood cored and has a horn bridge.

I hope you like it.

Tod

Attachment: 137.3 KB
sax handle 2 small.jpg

Attachment: 142.63 KB
sax handle small.jpg

Attachment: 130.83 KB
sword 2 small.jpg

Attachment: 117.01 KB
sword small.jpg

Great work as always Tod! I love the spiral pattern on the grip, is it form a historical example or is it your own doing?
I have to add my agreement to what Tim has already said. While this is earlier then my main area of interest I find myself more and more wanting a sword from the era just to have one in the collection. Which brings me to the one thing that I dislike about this hobby. Once you get on the slope it is very slippery indeed! :D

Scott
WOW! That's nice. I'm not sure how historically based the spirally-looking handle is, but it is extremely appealing. Nice piece!!! :lol:
Thanks for the compliments.

With the handle I was trying to do something a little bit 'bling' without going completely off the wall as far as authenticity goes. I could have made it a fairly even tapering grip in wood, but I did want to do something a little different.

We know they made swords with straight grips from horn and wood and we know that they loved writhen forms, so I don't think it is a massive leap to think they may have made grips with writhen forms from horn.

My reasoning is that this handle form was quite possible and there are few if any handles existing so there can only be a very small sample from the thousands of swords made to reference to. We can be pretty sure of what some of the swords were like, but have no idea of what the other tens of thousands of swords made at the time were like. This was my interpretation of what I felt was possible.

Tod
Leo Todeschini wrote:
Thanks for the compliments.

With the handle I was trying to do something a little bit 'bling' without going completely off the wall as far as authenticity goes. I could have made it a fairly even tapering grip in wood, but I did want to do something a little different.

We know they made swords with straight grips from horn and wood and we know that they loved writhen forms, so I don't think it is a massive leap to think they may have made grips with writhen forms from horn.

My reasoning is that this handle form was quite possible and there are few if any handles existing so there can only be a very small sample from the thousands of swords made to reference to. We can be pretty sure of what some of the swords were like, but have no idea of what the other tens of thousands of swords made at the time were like. This was my interpretation of what I felt was possible.

Tod
I think it's beautiful! As you said, there are few historical examples and that's what I meant in my previous comment, that I've never seen an example like it. Personally, I'd love to own a sword as great looking and interesting :) I can see this sword fighting off Viking invaders!
Wow Tod, great work as usual. That's one nice broad blade. :)

I have mixed feelings about the grip design, but I admire the craftsmanship.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: