Schermus Pictus, funny Slovakian fencing video
A 10 minute presentation of Slovakian fencing group. Turn on HD (720p), and subtitles (last tab on movie window, "Captions). Subtitles sometimes work only if you open the YouTube video in new window (upper right icon above the movie window).

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-82cajZi70s

I'm not a member of this group (Slovenia is quite another country than Slovakia), but I met and trained with Martin Fabian last year. These people are really training hard!
Re: Schermus Pictus, funny Slovakian fencing video
Blaz Berlec wrote:
A 10 minute presentation of Slovakian fencing group. Turn on HD (720p), and subtitles (last tab on movie window, "Captions). Subtitles sometimes work only if you open the YouTube video in new window (upper right icon above the movie window).

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-82cajZi70s

I'm not a member of this group (Slovenia is quite another country than Slovakia), but I met and trained with Martin Fabian last year. These people are really training hard!

Impressive production quality very very professionally done. :) :cool:

Maybe not for me as far as my being a pudgy, older type just marginally in aerobic shape and I wouldn't want my Director to start making our warmups anything near this " frenetic ": Cardiac arrest is almost a guaranty :eek: :lol:
Yeah, I know, I was totally bruised and aching after a two day seminar last year, and we only did some introduction to wrestling, dagger and longsword. But Fabian and other instructors (David M. Cvet, Igor Sancin, Petr Matousek, Roman Vucajnk) nicely toned it down for us "barely in aerobic shape". :D

I really don't have enough hand to eye coordination and other motoric skill necessary for a good swordsman. Or so I have been telling myself. Or maybe I'm just to lazy to train hard. :confused:
Blaz Berlec wrote:
Yeah, I know, I was totally bruised and aching after a two day seminar last year, and we only did some introduction to wrestling, dagger and longsword. But Fabian and other instructors (David M. Cvet, Igor Sancin, Petr Matousek, Roman Vucajnk) nicely toned it down for us "barely in aerobic shape". :D

I really don't have enough hand to eye coordination and other motoric skill necessary for a good swordsman. Or so I have been telling myself. Or maybe I'm just to lazy to train hard. :confused:

I think a lot depends on one's goals: If one is trying for true effectiveness and competence, as close as we can get, to a period warrior then being at this level of physical conditioning plus the mental toughness to go through some rather gruelling exercise then I agree we are not really up to it unless in Olympic athlete shape as well as dedicate to study and " talented " in having superior reflexes and coordination.

If more as a way to understand how it was done one can train at a much low level of intensity and mostly learn how to move, tactics, timing, distance and measure etc ...... but even if our performance might be doubtful in a real fight or as a real warrior we can still satisfy our intellectual curiosity and still progress but more at a simulated level than trying to train for the real thing as if our lives depended on our skills.

All still worth doing and satisfying if not as " tiring " or ultimately at a high level of performance. ;) :D
Fantastic video! I must say I am jealous of your acrobatic abilities. My short Achilles tendons leave me without the ability to spring like that.

M.
Interesting video. I live not far from Slovakia- maybe I should visit them :D
Wow.

I don't know if I should be glad we don't do this at our fencing club, or wish we did.
T shirts and no rubber blunts on the points. That must take an impressive level of control to not jab your training partner.
Jim,

Unarmoured fencing isn't a bash and smash session. Swinging four feet of steel, properly constructed and balanced, takes remarkably little effort. Since its a whole body motion, your movements can flow and ebb with remarkable ease. The hardest part is learning not to use too much energy. Just enough is more important.

BTW Blaz, thanks for putting this up. It was nicely done and deserves to be widely shared. :cool:

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: