Go to page Previous  1, 2

Randall,
Congrats. :) I'm sure it feels good to have it done.

I have a while left to go on my own doctorate and I'm looking forward to having it behind me. :)
Dr :D Moffett congratulations! I expect it feels good to get the dissertation complete and accepted! Your posts here are always so informative and on the level and clearly show your love and dedication to your subject matter. thanks and good luck! tr
Congrats, I'm two years from a BA in history, and I would like to have a PhD, sigh, don't forget to post your paper when you can!!
Randall Moffett wrote:
My section on maritime military activity- piracy etc. had to go due to space limitations.

How much work would it be to write it up as a separate essay?
Dan,

It actually is not in need of much work but would likely need be split up into two or more articles as it is about 70 pages. One part will be on ships used for war, refitting trade ships for military action and the type of equipment it would need for active and supporting service. I found several very interesting accounts detailing naval equipment both arms and armour and items used for transport of men, horses and other things. The other part is on how piracy was used for personal and political purposes against and by Southampton.... the town leadership often seem to be directly involved in or related to piracy which makes me wonder if they just saw it their part in over all 'national' maritime activity or if kings like Edward and Henry had covert piracy in use. Piracy is often part of open war but it seems it also is fairly common even when it is not, another manner of pressure.

Thanks again for the congratulations everyone! I try to share anything I find of interest, especially if the topic is already in discussion.

RPM
70 pages on that alone? How long is the whole thesis?

M.
Randall...

Let me add my kudos... and well wishes in a wide open future.

take care

ks
Randall,

Has your PhD Thesis "The Military Organisation of Southampton in the Late Medieval Period, 1300-1500" been published as of yet?

If not, maybe you could tease us with the "Maritime Military Activity - Piracy" section you were forced to remove due to space limitations.

I'm looking forward to some great reading, Dr. Moffett! ;)
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: