Question about short sword
hello to everyone! ..

I just want to know , what kind of sword is carried by this knight ? ... it's a Kasten-brust breastplate, but am not sure if is some kind of messer, sword , dagger, or...

well.... any idea ? :\

Attachment: 38.81 KB
witz-abraham.jpg

Hmm I am sure there are more knowledgable people than I am on this subject, but looks like some variation of falchion to me.
Yeap Artis... am a little bit confused too ... seems like a short falchion .. but am not sure , because if you see the picture there's no cross-guard and sadly is the only decent picture I could get to show you
I'd guess it's nothing in particular. If the "exotic" clothing on the left-hand figure is anything to go by, the right-hand figure is supposed to represent something foreign.

M.
My guess is it is in the same family of German knives as the messer, but perhaps not a messer. Where does the picture come from? Somewhere online? I'm always interested in finding more sources for historical artwork.
As mentioned earlier the origin and dating of the piece could prove useful; my bet is that it represents a local (European) take on the oriental-Turkish sabre. We have a quantum of such examples back here in Slovakia. I am assuming that since the author wasn't extremely familiar with sabre designs he just drew an oriental looking messer/falchion (called tesák/tasak in Slavic regions btw).
Hi Greg ... this picture comes from Konrad Witz , german /swiss painter

http://www.abcgallery.com/W/witz/witz.html

This picture was a representation of a biblical chapter ... because the name of the picture is " Abraham in front of Melchisedek" and there are many others like this..
Julian Arellano wrote:
This picture was a representation of a biblical chapter ... because the name of the picture is " Abraham in front of Melchisedek" and there are many others like this..

Hi,
so I also think the weapon is just supposed to be "something oriental" as often seen in biblical scenes.
It appears to be a late medieval hunting knife, though of larger scale. Note the absent of guard, the bird's head pommel and (maybe) smaller knife/tool in front.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: