Stuff happens
On Saturday I was sparring. Whenever I use a grill visor during sparring (well usually :!:) I also use safety glasses. well after saturday I can tell you I will be making a point to always use safety glasses in addition to my visor. at one point I felt a tiny sting on the bridge of my nose but did not think much of it. we reset. kept at it. reset again, then my partner said something to the effect of "your nose is bleeding dude". so i took off my gaunts, removed my helm and felt my nostrils, nothing but then i felt my nose again and realized my nose was covered in blood. after going to the side view mirror of the car, i realized that something, still not sure what, i suspect a tiny sub 1mm splinter off our fechterspiel swords or maybe even off the armour, had somehow come buzzing through my grill from my left (probably when I blocked) and nicked me in the nose. no big deal really, but it is amazing how a tiny cut on your nose can bleed when your heartrate is up, but my cautionary point and the reason I decided to post this is this - what if it had been 1 inch to my left or right and I had not had my safety glasses on. :eek: metal sliver in eyeball - don't want to contemplate. anyway i thought it worth it to post as a cautionary tale. use your safety equipment when sparring or bouting because as they say........... stuff happens!! this one is definitely in the freaky weird category.......
tr
Ouchies

What is often interesting to attendants at emergency rooms is trying to explain a sword accident. Baseball bats as well can illicit some not so odd inquiries :D

Good save

GC
Glad it wasn't more serious but it is a good warning to be careful about fluke accidents. :eek:

I do like my Coldsteel polypropylene waster since splinters are a non-issue and after more than 6 months of use it does show any damage. ;) :cool:

They could be better by having a handle and blade at least an inch or two longer but they work well used in pairs and against wooden wasters ...... so I guess my training partners don't have to worry too much about getting splinters from my waster but a splinter might fly off in any direction so either party might be in danger of a splinter in theory although someone being hit by a waster might have higher odds of getting splintered !

A bit off Topic but the polypropylene wasters handle well and flex sideways a bit like a steel training sword unlike a wooden wasters.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: