Things to do in Philly?
I am going on a University related field trip to Philadelphia this coming weekend, and was wondering where to go to see some arms and armor? I will have about three or four hours of free time. I will be taking picture and sharing with anyone that is interested. So... where can I go in Philly? Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!
this is totally off-topic to arms and armor, but I always try to make it to the Magic Gardens art installation on South street...totally unique place and worth seeing. More on topic might be the Philadelphia museum of art; I haven't been in years but I think they have a nice arms collection on the second floor.
A case could be made for the Philadelphia Museum of Art having the second most important collection of armour and arms in the country. Absolutely not to be missed!

www.philamuseum.org
Can't believed I lived in Philly for 10+ years and then only discovered this hobby after I left a few years ago... :cry:
Only 3 or 4 hours? Rats, that's ALMOST enough time to do the Etruscan room in the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archeology and Anthropology! Starring one of my favorites:

[ Linked Image ]

Granted, that's kind of a narrow focus, and maybe not exactly what you're looking for! Must be some later stuff in that museum, too, I just didn't have time to browse last time I was there.

Have fun!

Matthew
I ended up going to the Phila. Museum of Art. It was awesome. this was the first time I have viewed such a collection after having discovered my love for this subject. As I was in there i noticed myself cringing at the things people said. One man trying to tell his son about crossbows and it was pretty amusing. Well I wouldn't know the little that I do without this community! Either way I got a lot of photos and I will be posting some up to give others an idea of the collection. I was a little upset that they didn't have any really old stuff (roman or earlier), but all in all it was a great collection.

I don't have any specific information, as I only had one hour after arrival till the museum closed.

Check out the size of the one breast plate. the one next to it looked like it might fit me at 6'2". It was huge.

The inlay on the stock of that one fire arm!!!! WOW!!!!

Enjoy... and go if you ever have the chance!

Attachment: 38.89 KB
Awesome Inlay.jpg

Attachment: 33.43 KB
Huge Plate.jpg

Attachment: 45.03 KB
Helmets.jpg

Attachment: 50.99 KB
Swords.jpg

Attachment: 33.88 KB
War Hammer.jpg

Attachment: 50.71 KB
Armor.jpg