Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Naked Truth About Cutting - A Few Bare Facts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry J. Fletcher wrote:
My hypothesis is that with a straight blade in combat (1) a formidable blow is important for its percussive effect. (2) Any cutting done with a straight blade will be like that of a cleaver, and (3) if a drawing action is used while it may inhance the the cut is not really that necessary because (1) and (2) are the most important elements of the cut with a straight blade of a medieval sword.

Harry J. Fletcher wrote:
These medieval warriors were not conserned with fencing but with bludgeoning their opponent with the sharp edge providing an even more lethal cleaving effect. Granted the blows were "slashing" but they were not thrusting as befits a weapon designed for bludgeoning or cleaving. This is why the tips on these early swords were rounded.

Hello Harry,

The problem with your assumptions is that they are based on limited knowledge and understanding, and I say this with no disrespect intended. It can be very temping to want to understand how swords really worked and due to the lack of general knowledge readily available on the subject one is often left with little more than speculation. I do not blame you for this. However, to make these comparisons, you would need to have some pretty solid training under your belt, both eastern and western, as well as a lot of historically accurate swords to experiment with, and even then, your conclusions would be considered speculative at best.

Western swords can cut just fine, and while your “average” western sword does not cut as well as your “average” katana, there are some western swords with cutting ability that is close enough that most people would not notice the difference.

Here is one of our cutting vids that shows you just how well western swords can cut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2ahRiSHi0E

David Teague wrote:
Many of the western swords lack that ability IMO, but today's modern cutting fans add modern "devices" (forms, movements and power generators) to make the sword perform closer to the katana, but in period use those same devices would get you killed in earnest swordplay.

Hello David,

You too are making assumptions here. How do you what you claim to know?

Yes, some people add “devices” to make effective cuts, but we have no idea if these “devices” were used in the 14th and 15th centuries, and earlier, because we don’t have a source that tells us how people cut back then.

Can you show me a single period source that says a sword was not supposed to be able to cut someone’s head off or lop off an arm or a leg? No? Well I can show you sources that say the exact opposite. The best, but not only example of this is the Talhoffer plate that shows a longsword cutting off someone’s head as seen in the opening of my cutting vid linked above, which I know you have seen many times. This is significantly harder to do than cutting a single tatami mat and if the “device free” technique someone uses in their cutting mechanics cannot cleanly sever a mat (and therefore a head, arm or leg), then clearly, according to the above mentioned evidence, it is historically inaccurate and needs to be modified.

Felix R. wrote:
Even though this is a German TV show it is quite interesting and fun to watch. Especially the comparison, starting at 5:30, is enlightening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hy_A9vjp_s

Very nice video, and better than mine. Happy

My only concern when I watch videos like this are who made the swords involved and how, and are the producers biased against one type of sword or another. It is very easy to choose both sword and test to show exactly what you want to show, though this video does seem to be fairly impartial.

Also, you cannot feel what the cutter feels. When I cut with a Talhoffer it looks the same as when I cut with a Brescia Spadona or a katana, but it feels very different to me.

A katana is generally a better cutter than even the best Western swords (and yes, this is speculation based on my experience...I clearly have not cut with every katana and every Western sword, though I have cut with many of each, both repros and antiques). However, it is a question of degrees, and in the case of some Western swords, minute degrees.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
There is something I find slightly odd. Aparently traditional katana are the optimal thing for cutting, but I have seen nihonto enthusiasts wailing and gnashing their teeth about folks who alter the blade geometries of nihonto for the purposes of cutting. If it is already perfect, why would someone change the geometry to improve it?

Because it´s fanboy mentality. You can´t reason with it.
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
Nat Lamb wrote:
There is something I find slightly odd. Aparently traditional katana are the optimal thing for cutting, but I have seen nihonto enthusiasts wailing and gnashing their teeth about folks who alter the blade geometries of nihonto for the purposes of cutting. If it is already perfect, why would someone change the geometry to improve it?

Real katana were made for cutting people in duels, war and self defense. People today are altering the blade geometry to cut tatami so they can do better in competitions.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix, thank you, the TV show is very enlightening. I have to admit that it really bothers me to see swords, knives, wood chisels, anything like that tested to destruction. I probably understood about one word in fifty, not enough in other words, but the actions largely speak for themselves.

I know some or all of this could be faked or biased. It could have been a very low quality Japanese sword used in the destruction demo and it could have been trick photography showing the swords slicing the tomatoes but absent any motivation to fake things I'm prepared to accept what I saw as fairly, if not completely, accurate.

I have to say that I think this discussion topic, as it has been put forward here, is deeply flawed. It must be very difficult to compare the cutting ability of a one handed sword with that of a two handed sword in a meaningful way. It has to something like comparing the force generated by a tennis racket with the force of a baseball bat.

However the mental image of a battle hardened Viking warrior being beset by a pack of enraged pool noodles is one that will stay with me for a while! LOL!!
David Teague

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:

David Teague wrote:
Many of the western swords lack that ability IMO, but today's modern cutting fans add modern "devices" (forms, movements and power generators) to make the sword perform closer to the katana, but in period use those same devices would get you killed in earnest swordplay.

Hello David,

You too are making assumptions here. How do you what you claim to know?

Yes, some people add “devices” to make effective cuts, but we have no idea if these “devices” were used in the 14th and 15th centuries, and earlier, because we don’t have a source that tells us how people cut back then.

Can you show me a single period source that says a sword was not supposed to be able to cut someone’s head off or lop off an arm or a leg? No? Well I can show you sources that say the exact opposite. The best, but not only example of this is the Talhoffer plate that shows a longsword cutting off someone’s head as seen in the opening of my cutting vid linked above, which I know you have seen many times. This is significantly harder to do than cutting a single tatami mat and if the “device free” technique someone uses in their cutting mechanics cannot cleanly sever a mat (and therefore a head, arm or leg), then clearly, according to the above mentioned evidence, it is historically inaccurate and needs to be modified.

Hi Michael,

What do I know? I do know that if you sense anyone anywhere on the internet questions "cutting", you seek them out and "cut them down" with the same stale circular logic.

I can apply the same logic back...

You too are making assumptions here. How do you what you claim to know? All of your cutting has been with modern CNC manufactured swords with modern targets. At no time have you cut a living human with a real period sword. I know of no European period source that talks of how to cut a tatami mat, or how many mats a longsword must cut to pass proofing. If you can find me one, please feel free to share that info with me.

Now that I'm done writing "like Mike" I think I'll go back to my own style of communication.

Hello Michael,

I thought we worked this out over a phone call awhile back. It's your turn to call me.

I don't question a sharp sword won't decapitate a human being, beyond that Talhoffer print we know they were used to behead people as a form of execution. There's plenty of proof though out history right there. Period sword can cut off heads. Pop! There it goes! Behold the head of a traitor! Yada yada yada. Put on a pike for all to see as a warning.

I never said they couldn't.

All I said is "Many of the western swords lack that ability IMO, but today's modern cutting fans add modern "devices" (forms, movements and power generators) to make the sword perform closer to the katana, but in period use those same devices would get you killed in earnest swordplay. "

You, yourself did a series of cutting tests against a common foot solder's multi-layer Jack with a cross sample of swords (including the big "K") and the katana cut the jack better that the other sword (as I remember) Please correct me if I'm wrong on this point.

What I keep bring up is the cutting power of the sword in the fight. "How do you what you claim to know?" Easy, I work from period text, text filled with counters that start from the opponent's swordblade being on my body. Why would they even bother to write such "assumptions" if with every stoke of your sword one of my body parts wold fly off. Oh... I know why! Unlike a cutting target, I can impede your incoming blade with mine and counterattack.

Quote:
If you want to behold the art,
See that you go on the left and strike with the right.
And left to right,
is how you strongly want to fight.
He who goes striking afterwards,
should rejoice little in his art.
Strike close whatever you will,
no Changer will come into your shield.
To the head, to the body
do not shun the Tag-Hits.
To fight with the entire body,
is what you powerfully want to do.

I know you've read the passage above... we both work from the sames texts and translations "do not shun the Tag-Hits". A" light strike" that can give you a following opening for the killing blow. Hmm, no limb chopping, head flying strike there.

Where you and I can't communicate well with is this issue.

We've been down this road before.

I don't mind cutting, I've done so in the past and plan to introduce test cutting again with my current students. I currently teach them 2 ways to hew with the longsword, small frame percussive strike, large frame slicing strike and I teach them the tactics on when to apply each one in the fight.

My problem with cutting by most folks is they don't move and cut as if in earnest play.

When you first responded to my post you never asked what I meant by " modern "devices" (forms, movements and power generators) to make the sword perform closer to the katana, but in period use those same devices would get you killed in earnest swordplay." but just launched into your counter to my claim. I think if I showed you which devices I refer to, you would agree as we are told not to do those things within the texts we study from.

See You in July!

Cheers,

David

P.S. " we don’t have a source that tells us how people cut back then." Your right BTW, I've just assumed we used the sharp side instead of the big flat side. Razz

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
P. Cha wrote:
Nat Lamb wrote:

Real katana were made for cutting people in duels, war and self defense. People today are altering the blade geometry to cut tatami so they can do better in competitions.

Well I know that...but I believe nat was refering to people who believe that the katana is ¨perfect¨ in every way...in which case, why would you have to improve it for tatami cutting? There are people who absolutely believe that that katana can´t be improved in anyway for anything.
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello David,

Yes, I do defend cutting whenever I see someone, usually someone who cannot cut well, unfairly generalize and denigrate test cutting. No period source tells us we should cut tatami, but they tell us we should cut people, which tatami is used to simulate. If you have a better simulator, do share, I've used them all and find tatami works best.

Let's see these devices you claim were not used in period. I'd like to see some examples.

You seem to make the assumption that people like me, who like to cut, only advocate one type of cut all the time. I do not shun the tag hits the way some people seem to shun the full cuts. Too bad Liechtenauer didn't see fit to put that in the text as well, but that tells us he probably didn't have to.

It helps, when looking at cutting videos, to understand what you're looking at. Cutting videos show a specific type of cut, a full cut designed to cleave, sever or otherwise inflict massive damage. Most such videos do not show "tag hits" or other smaller cuts designed to do different things.

This does not mean that people who make cutting videos do not use such cuts.

Yes, as I have said many many times, including this thread, the katana is generally a better cutter than a longsword or single hand European sword. This does not mean that such European swords cannot cut well, or that some artificial "get you killed" devices need to be added. I add no such devices. I drill and fight like I cut, and I teach my students to do the same. Drills, free play and cutting, these are the core of our curriculum, and I feel removing any one of the three weakens the whole. You are free to disagree.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:
P. Cha wrote:
Nat Lamb wrote:

Well I know that...but I believe nat was refering to people who believe that the katana is ¨perfect¨ in every way...in which case, why would you have to improve it for tatami cutting? There are people who absolutely believe that that katana can´t be improved in anyway for anything.

Fair enough, I misunderstood and I apologize.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Devices? What devices? What kind of devices are you guys talking about? I truly don't know.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Folks, let's not get grouchy in this thread. It's not worth it.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
David Teague

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Michael,

A-ha! Just as I thought.

I'm not talking about you, or your test cutting vids. It's not about yooooou

Also, please get it out of your head that I think a western sword won't cut. It does and can.

My viewpointis from movement within play where every cut can not be a show stopper as the fact is, your opponent is trying their best to counter your sword in defense.

I'm not sure why I can't make this point with you. WTF?!

I'm going to try one last time.

Yes, I think it's great to be able to cut though mats cleanly, it show proper edge alignment and slicing movement. All students of a sword style should learn how to do just that as PART of their training. They should be able to do it without adding risky power generator such as cocking the sword back (in measure) or bring the sword around in a 360 deg arc (in measure) if their opponent's sword is not suppressed. Otherwise they are setting themselves up for a surprise.

Now, in period play (since we don't fight with sharps anymore) the opportunity would come in play (sometimes) for that show stopper cut (such as with "traveling after") where you could lop off body parts with glee. My viewpoint is the effects of the "other" cuts that could happen, the deep hack to a bicep, the slice to the temple et al, things that are part of the system and show up far more in plates than that Talhoffer plate you always pony up in your defense.

So, maybe, just maybe you get "it' this time. I don't disagree with you at al. I'm not complaining about your vids when I post about modern artifacts. I just have a viewpoint that looks at what the wounding cuts do, and how in our system, it's kill them, and kill them again, and keep killing them til they fall down. That how I teach my students, we don't stop at the first cut.

David

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Concerning that German TV show clip, would I be right in believing that the katana's harder edge was "cut" through and then the softer backside simply bent? I assume so, but you know what they say about assuming...

About the improving of a katana's edge for cutting, I understood that they were making the whole thing thinner and giving the edge a gentler slope. This works great for slicing through soft objects, since it's like a giant razor blade, but hitting something hard can seriously trash the edge. "Normal" katanas, on the other hand, have a certain blend between durability and cutting ability. However, this is merely my interpetation and I have been known to be wrong before, so take this with a pound of salt. Regardless, I think the point was supposed to be that a katana isn't perfect, and that it can be modified to better fit certain conditions.

Edit: I take too long writing my posts apparently, since several other people just posted before I finished writing...
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David,

I get all your points, I really do. Here are mine: we disagree on the mechanics of an entry cut. I think most cuts should be done with the intent to cut through. If you stop me, we are in a bind and I am in langen ort and then all the other plays come in. If you don't, you're either dead, or you voided and I am in wechselhut and you try to nachreisen and then all those plays come in. You seem to think that you should aim for langen ort...correct me if I'm wrong. It's fine to disagree on this point and it has nothing to do with cutting.

We do not disagree that the sword should not be cocked back in measure. However, I am a firm believer that the sword can and often should be cocked backing during the approach while still out of measure, the closer to "just out of measure" the better. I am far from the only one that feels this way (e.g. the MEMAG guys like to pull back to zornhut while just out of measure...and their cuts are strong and true and there is no tempo to exploit). This disagreement is fine, and not really a factor in this disucssion.

I believe STRONGLY that every HEMA practicioner must cut, or their art is missing a crucial component. This is why I defend cutting, both good and even mediocre cutting, vehemently. When someone is first learning to cut, their cutting will stink or be mediocre at best. Discouraging people during this phase of their training is very bad, in my opinion, for the art as a whole. Whether you mean to do this or not, this is what I think yours posts do.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colt Reeves wrote:
Concerning that German TV show clip, would I be right in believing that the katana's harder edge was "cut" through and then the softer backside simply bent? I assume so, but you know what they say about assuming...

Edit: I take too long writing my posts apparently, since several other people just posted before I finished writing...

It´s perhaps not "cut through" the hard edge, but the contact did a deep nick, as it did in the longsword. But in contrast to the nick not compromising the integrity of the longsword (at least not so obvious), the katana blade bend.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David and Michael,

It seems as if you two are diving off into an entirely different tangent than the original "curved v. straight" issue of this thread. Since that original argument is specious enough in itself, might I suggest you create another thread to house the point you're discussing. If you can stay civil I think it might have some actual educational benefit.

Just a thought. Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
David and Michael,

It seems as if you two are diving off into an entirely different tangent than the original "curved v. straight" issue of this thread. Since that original argument is specious enough in itself, might I suggest you create another thread to house the point you're discussing. If you can stay civil I think it might have some actual educational benefit.

Just a thought. Big Grin

Patrick,

To me, this thread is about mistaken assumptions about the cutting ability and purpose of Western swords, and in this regard I feel I have not strayed.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:

Patrick,

To me, this thread is about mistaken assumptions about the cutting ability and purpose of Western swords, and in this regard I feel I have not strayed.

I agree there are many mistaken assumptions present in this thread as well as its brother regarding the katana, although I don't think that was the original purpose of the threads creation. However, looking at the issue from that perspective I see your point, and concede to it. Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:

Patrick,

I agree there are many mistaken assumptions present in this thread as well as its brother regarding the katana, although I don't think that was the original purpose of the threads creation. However, looking at the issue from that perspective I see your point, and concede to it. Big Grin

Thank you, Patrick.

I do confess that I butt into all these types of threads that I run accross because I think it is very important to promote test cutting in HEMA, partly to eliminate the need for people like Harry to make assumptions in the absence of proper data. If cutting were more prevalent, such data would be readily available to those who are curious about such things.

I have been cutting since the early 90s and have invested a lot of time and money to further my own understanding of the cuttting ability and intended design of Western swords and I want to share that information with the community. However, the generally dismissive attitude towards cutting among many HEMA practitioners makes that challenging at times.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
J. Scott Moore

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:
P. Cha wrote:
Nat Lamb wrote:

I can attest to that, as one of my friends is absolutely confounded by the fact that I choose to study such an "inferior" art form as the Longsword according to Liechtenauer's tradition. I think, at this point that we have all pretty much agreed that a curved blade has the ability to cut better than a straight sword. this is because the curved edge is always presented at an angle. with that in mind, the angle of the edges on many longswords also allows the edge to be presented at an angle to the target. very few swords were ever made with edges that were perfectly parallel, except in hollywierd. now, I could be just misinterpreting the objective of this topic, but IMHO it is a pointless one. those that wish to practice eastern martial arts will, just as many of us will continue to practice western martial arts no matter which sword can cut better. the only thing that matters is that the techniques worked in the times, and places they were applied.

"Whoever desires peace, let him prepare for war."
-Vegetius
J. Scott Moore

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I should have added, that I cannot disagree that cutting exercises are beneficial to any blade oriented art form. comparing which blade cuts better is like deciding what style to use. for instance, one pistol might be more accurate than another, but is substantially weaker in firepower. choose the right tool for the job. if you want to learn WMA, then learn WMA, if you want to learn EMA, then learn EMA. Like I said, I could be misunderstanding the purpose of this topic, and I could have totally just made a total jerk of myself, but be that as it may.
"Whoever desires peace, let him prepare for war."
-Vegetius

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Naked Truth About Cutting - A Few Bare Facts
Page 2 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: