does anyone have any info on the use of sword pyramids?
i have seen a few pictures in the past of utilising sword pyramids, but am still not certain as to pthe practicallity of their use, there is one seemigly impractical useage on a templ sword on here somewhere and a picture from a book which seems more reasonable to me, but does anyone else have anything?
p.s. heres the pic from the book

Attachment: 103.17 KB
[ Download ]
Well those seem to be mainly decorative to me, to make the attachment part nicer?
There appears to be something similar in use on some smaller late medieval German scabbards. The suspension appears to be a single, continuous strap just below a riser at the mouth of the scabbard. It would be logical and simple to pass the strap through one of the long, bar-like buckles shown in those drawings, place the scabbard through the resulting loop and slide the buckle down tight against the back of the scabbard. A piece of leather in the same shape would work at least as well, if not better, so few would survive. I'm not sure what use the pyramids would be--hard to tell from the diagram.
i've had no luck in finding any more on the subjuect but i have found a sword which looks like it is well due the shining adornments that are those pyramids, anyone interested in the pyramids should love this!
http://www.die-bajuwaren.de/Spatha09.htm

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: