Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ideas for re-working a wallhanger Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
T. Hamilton

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jan, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Ideas for re-working a wallhanger         Reply with quote

I was given a VERY low end wallhanger recently (zinc furniture, hollow zinc grip, rat-tail tang) and felt this was the perfect piece to do a little experimenting on. I'd like to re-hilt it, cut a proper tang, and maybe re-shape the blade. The blade is 1.5 inches wide, double-edged and 31.5 inches long (not counting the rat tail). There is very little distal taper. Any ideas on what kind of sword I could get out of this thing, or should I just say the heck with it and cut it down into a dagger? I know it'll never be much of a collection piece, I just wanted to try out some of the techniques I've seen discussed on the forums.
Luke Zechman

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jan, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It would be easier if you posted a picture so we could see what you are working with. Either way you will need to cut a new tang from part of the blade... not really any way you could add to it easily. I would cut the tang off, establish a new tang from material from the base of the blade. You have 31.5 inches of blade so you should be able to get a short sword out out it. You might not be able to get any particular type of sword out of it, so just use your imagination and create something unique. You could do a wooden pommel and cross like those found on roman sword. That would be easier then doing them in metal unless the metal ones are very simple. Above all I would resist the urge to use this blade in any way. If you discover that you like doing this kind of thing... do a little research, find a candidate for a project and purchase a real blade to modify. Museum Replicas is a good place to get project pieces, and you can usually find them under a hundred dollars. Above all be safe, and have fun.
James Head

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jan, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If the blade is stainless steel then I wouldn't even mess with it. :-(

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ideas for re-working a wallhanger
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic