Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help With N. European Sword (Swedish?)DIY Project Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jan, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Hejdström wrote:
Sean, I'm sorry I don't have abetter photo of the sword with the C-shaped quillon. I'll remember it next time! I have a few nice photos from Fornsalen here in Visby but due to legal issues I'm not allowed to publish them online in any form. I'll dig into it the the museum staff next time I talk to them, I think you'll find some more interesting stuff there.

You might be able to make a drawing from the photograph and be able to show that without any ethical issues as the " artwork/drawing " would be your own work ? But I would understand if you felt that this was going against the spirit of the law as opposed to the letter of the law.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The revised silhouette:

Attachment: 38.42 KB
finalidea.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Eric Hejdström

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Eric Hejdström wrote:
Sean, I'm sorry I don't have abetter photo of the sword with the C-shaped quillon. I'll remember it next time! I have a few nice photos from Fornsalen here in Visby but due to legal issues I'm not allowed to publish them online in any form. I'll dig into it the the museum staff next time I talk to them, I think you'll find some more interesting stuff there.

You might be able to make a drawing from the photograph and be able to show that without any ethical issues as the " artwork/drawing " would be your own work ? But I would understand if you felt that this was going against the spirit of the law as opposed to the letter of the law.

That is certainly posible, but I don't know if I have the time. However I will try to get hold of the museum tomorrow and ask if I can post the picture here. Otherwise I'll try to get a drawing done during the weekend.

I'm really thrilled to see more people interested in my favourite type of sword!
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is interesting. Swabian(?) ca. 1465. More of these very long grips, and in the same period. Worn with the pommel at the level of the upper chest! Applying these proportions to my own body would yield a weapon of approximately 50" overall.

Attachment: 200.09 KB
1465.JPG

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Eric Hejdström

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most examples I've seen are somwhere between 50" to 55" long so your asumption seems very accurate Sean!

I called the museum today and they gave me permision to post the pictures here! As you can see the grips are maybe not as long as on some of the swords earlier in the thread but they are still a lot longer than usual hand and a half swords. I don't know anything about them at all since I accidentally found the box they were in while looking for other things. They are still ying in the same order as I found them. One of the swords hava a more "normal" grip. Next time I'm at the archives I'll dig further into their swords and see if I can find more...

What do you think about age of the swords below? My guess is from late 13th century to mid/late 14th century.

Anyways, premission to post these images comes from Gotlands Museum, Fornsalen here in Visby, Sweden.

Bigger picture here: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2778/4295198358_a7a89ca52f_o.jpg

Bigger picture here: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/4294454447_1c20eaac12_o.jpg

Bigger picture here: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2679/4294454475_fd74f4a070_o.jpg

Bigger picture here: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2763/4294454507_b0819b6fce_o.jpg

Bigger picture here: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4295198454_f7eb03f569_o.jpg
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very interesting swords, Eric! My guess would be more towards 14th century - after all, there seems to be increase in longr blades in 14th century, compared to 13th. Then again, Gotland had been a rather prominent trading place at that period so would not be surprising to find the most "advanced" equipment avaliable at this time frame to be found there, earlier than most other places in the area.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I remember seeing these swords during a study visit to Visby many years ago.
I would also agree they are of 14th C date. The one with latten/bronze pommel could be very early 14th C (or late 13th C?).

It is interesting to note that the reference for very long grips is an early trend in scandinavia.
There certainly seems to be more long gripped swords preserved here than in other regions.

I would suspect there are international influences and parallels. Looking at altar pieces that were exported from northern germany to sweden, there are plenty of long gripped swords depicted there.
The type XVIIIe that is so famously present in the danish (and swedish) material does seem to have some popularity in Italy as well at the same time. Possibly also in other regions.
I attach an image (not sure of origin, but it seems to be dated to mid/late 15th C).

Attachment: 189.26 KB
15thC long ricasso Painting.jpg
Apart from more "fancy" work on the hilt this painting shows a sword that is very close to the type common in Denmark

Last edited by Peter Johnsson on Fri 22 Jan, 2010 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Artis Aboltins wrote:
Very interesting swords, Eric! My guess would be more towards 14th century - after all, there seems to be increase in longr blades in 14th century, compared to 13th. Then again, Gotland had been a rather prominent trading place at that period so would not be surprising to find the most "advanced" equipment avaliable at this time frame to be found there, earlier than most other places in the area.

That is a reasonable thought.
... but I have found long gripped swords in museums in other parts of Sweden that are also of an early date. It seems this kind of sword was popular not only on Gotland, but in other regions of Sweden at the same time.
They do not have the extreme grip length as those later examples, but still longer than is normally the case with swords of this type.

Below are three examples (late 13th/early 14th C?) from two different museums, mainland Sweden:

Attachment: 76.6 KB
Fäste.jpg

Attachment: 97.24 KB
Fäste XIIIa 1.jpg

Attachment: 102.13 KB
Fäste XIIIa 2.jpg

Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Intriguing, Peter! What is the aproximate length of the blades of the swords on the pictures you posted?
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm rich! Thanks for the ongoing flood of information and images!
-Sean

Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

-Artis: the length varies just like on other swords of this type. They can be from 85 to 95 cm long. Or longer in some cases.
It is the same kind of variation you find elsewhere with these blade types: XIIa, XIIIa and XVII. Some are really big, others are of a length that can be seen on long single hand swords.

-Sean: Only glad to add to the mix! It will be interesting to see what you make of your project.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want to "officially" open this thread for discussion of all modern projects related to this family of swords.

Eric, you mentioned a project of your own. Please share as much of that here as you wish. I'd love to see it. Happy

-Sean

Eric Hejdström

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

I remember seeing these swords during a study visit to Visby many years ago.
I would also agree they are of 14th C date. The one with latten/bronze pommel could be very early 14th C (or late 13th C?).

Peter, have you seen the other pommels in the archive that are similar to that one? I found a few and noticed that several of them are hollow.. Now, bronze is a tad bit heavier than iron but not to the extent that this should be reason enough to make them hollow. They are quite small too.

Sean, I promise to post some pictures here as soon as I get the project going! Its a Del Tin 2158 that's going to get a new look. I want to make the blade narrower and more agressive point. I also intend to move the quillon a bit to even further increase the griplength. The ricasso is also a goner. Hopefully I will be done before the summer. I still haven't decided on grip construction. Any suggestions?
Eric Hejdström

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How could I forget theese from Göteborgs Stadsmuseum, Sweden? The first two are about the same type as most before. The third however have the quite unusual "pretzel" shaped quillon.

More info here: http://carlotta.gotlib.goteborg.se/pls/carlot...idn=101077

Length: 129 cm, blade 97 cm, grip 32 cm
More info here: http://carlotta.gotlib.goteborg.se/pls/carlot...idn=430994

More info: http://carlotta.gotlib.goteborg.se/pls/carlot...sidn=38291
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Hejdström wrote:

Peter, have you seen the other pommels in the archive that are similar to that one? I found a few and noticed that several of them are hollow.. Now, bronze is a tad bit heavier than iron but not to the extent that this should be reason enough to make them hollow. They are quite small too.

Bronze pommels of this type are as a rule hollow (or should I say are often hollow?). Wall thickness is a few millimeters, so their weight will not do much for the balance of the sword. This may be the intention, or they could have been filled with lead resulting in a pommel much heavier than its size suggest. I cannot say.
This kind of pommel was pretty common in the 13th and 14th C. They often go together with type XII, XIIIa, or type XIIIa/b blades.
Loose pommels of this kind are often found on storage shelves in local museums all over Sweden. I do not think they were Swedish per se. I have just come across them a lot while looking for other things.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This topic has been promoted into a Spotlight Topic.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric, those are nice ones from Göteborg Museum!

They are representative in that the have some of the common features you see again and again with these late 15th and early 16th C swords:

Pommel is a small scent stopper of very distinctive shape (most are very much the same: a bit drawn out and small in size) or a flattened sphere (sometimes just round or else with octagonal section when seen from the rivet).

The guard is downward curving, pretzel shaped or C shaped (sometimes both downward curving and C shaped: I think I know at least four swords with this type of cross)

One those from mid 15th to early 16th C date, the blade is often broad at the base, but has a distinctive taper to a sharp point. They can be of diamond section, hexagonal section or lenticular section (although these were probably type XXII to begin with but has had all distinctive features rusted away). Blade types are often broad based and pointy versions of XVIa, XIIa or XXII.

Those with long blades of 90 cm or more seldom have grips that are a third of total length, instead close to a quarter of total length or there about.

Grips are of sturdy section. Often bound with iron wire in repeated sections. This wire is sometimes the only part of the grip that survives.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think this cross is very beautiful and elegant. It'd be harder for me to make, but I prefer it to the more robust forms with dragon-head terminals. I have a pommel that might work for this, too, but if the "mandarin" pommel is appropriate with this cross, I think that would be a very attractive combination.

Eric, it sounds like our projects will be similar. My plan is to make a grip like those in my draft designs--slightly barreled in the lower half. I think a relatively straight taper would look nice, too. The robustness will depend to a great degree on the thickness of the cross.

Attachment: 36.22 KB
GM_28815_133_detalj2.jpg

-Sean

Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Semi off topic, but Sean, what are you doing the draft designs on? some sort of cad program, or creative photshoping?
Love the project by the way, looks like a very interesting/attractive sword will come out of it.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
Semi off topic, but Sean, what are you doing the draft designs on? some sort of cad program, or creative photshoping?
Love the project by the way, looks like a very interesting/attractive sword will come out of it.

Not-so-creative Photoshopping. Big Grin Just borrowing bits of various swords, slapping them together quickly to get some idea of proportions, etc. Just sketching. It's a pretty good way to tell whether something is worth pursuing.

-Sean

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help With N. European Sword (Swedish?)DIY Project
Page 2 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: