Hi Folks,

A mark I come across quite frequently on American sale swords is a walking bear, with no ears showing. One suggestion was a Bezdek German Makers list mentioning Abraham Kuller of Wald. However, all those drawn marks show ears and some of those actually look like the ancient Puma marks. There is real difficulty in associating the Bezdek/Kuller with the listed timeline of 1847-1880. That because of the Made In Germany marks and a retailer's (M.C.Lilley) marks over the years. Add, that it is not just a Lilley trait and I have found late 19th century swords without a Lilley etch. I'll post some photos below and hope someone here may be familiar with this mark from Germany.

A Macabees fraternal sword with a rather muddy looking etch but 1882-1825 timeline. This one not marked to Germany but the same bear.
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Note: This possibly an earlier version that has more facial definition but still not the toes, upright ears and raised tails as with the Bezdek reference.
[ Linked Image ]

A quite crisp Lilley mark on a post 1872 type 1860 staff and field sword. I neglected to archive the whole sword for this one, as it is as common as dirt type. Again, an 1882-1825 marking timeline for Lilley.
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Finally, a made in Germany mark with the same bear on a musician type sword in an iron/steel scabbard. Both the hilt and scabbard fittings show to have been lightly gold gilt or plated (much worn but lots of traces left. It was in aquiring this last that the mark came to mind again, as I do bump into it quite often.
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Here is the Bezdek notation with marks and why I am puzzled by someone refering this example for the mark. Not very similar at all, from my stance.
[ Linked Image ]

Right off the top, the Bezdek bear is headed the wrong direction (in more ways than one methinks).

Thoughts? I'd love to find a definitive source and maker name for these bruins, sans ears and eyes. It may be though that ears and eyes from others reading may have some information.

Thanks in advance.

GC