reliable source
Hi all,
Talking with my friend about maille against arrows or swords, asked me to explain this picture. I obviously read the article by Dan, I wanted to ask if the Maciejowski Bible is considered a reliable source.

Attachment: 144.83 KB
otm35ra.jpg

Well, it's reliable in regards to what gear people wore, and what stuff they used. But in reagrds to the wounds and what not, I think it was the artist intention to show a bit of blood and gore rather than actual wounds that may have bee sustained.
Then again, some of the weapons you see might've been able to bust through a few links. :confused:
Quote:
Then again, some of the weapons you see might've been able to bust through a few links.

The man in the bottom right portion of the picture is missing an arm.... The rest of his arm appears to be in the near bottom center left of the picture. With depictions of sword thrusts and arrows being present... one can see that the depictions of wounds were alot worse in art than real life. By any act at all... the mans arm would be crushed, not cut in two; while being clad in mail.
good question which comes up from time to time. not trying to kill the thread but this has been discussed many times before here at mA, SFI and Armour Archive. if you use the search function you'll find threads with many opinions, both laymen and academic, as to the accuracy of the images in question. i think its safe to say that as Christopher and Sam have stated, the general consensus is that the helm splittings, mail breakage, cleavages, and wounds are a bit of an artistical exaggeration for the most part. if the armour was poorly made it is certainly possible but very unlikely to be a general state of affairs. it is confusing because other than that, the Maciejowski bible has some very accurate renditions of arms and armour. tr
Thom R. wrote:
if the armour was poorly made it is certainly possible but very unlikely to be a general state of affairs. it is confusing because other than that, the Maciejowski bible has some very accurate renditions of arms and armour. tr

Ok.
Greatly exaggerated.
Maybe a little truth there. I read a work by Dr. Alan Williams,
Not all coats of mail of the X-XI century were made with good material. Not like those of 1500.
At least, I understood that.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: