triple lobe bollock dagger repro
Hi All,

One of the privilages I have is that I get to make items I am interested in myself so there is a real blend of hobby/interest with work. I love that; my wife hates it.

A triple bollock dagger has been on my 'to do' list for years so this was a really interesting one for me and largely a pleasure to make and in small way one of those privialges.

It is based off one in the Met, but as I only really had some fuzzy images and I wasn't going to go to the States for this one I had to interpret a little of what was going on and had some helpful nudges from the client that also helped.

The fittings are all solid silver and the handle is box wood.

It is a very substantial feeling knife, the fittings are solid so there is some weight up in the hilt, but the blade is triangular and so carries weight all the way down and although it looks quite thin and elegant it has a purposeful feel about it.

I hope you like it.

Regards

Tod

Attachment: 104.23 KB
triple 1 small.jpg

Attachment: 126.24 KB
triple 2 small.jpg

Attachment: 144.97 KB
triple 3 small.jpg

Attachment: 147.91 KB
triple 4 small.jpg

Quite elegant.
Out of curiosity, what timeframe would this fall into (i.e., you said it si based on a knife at the Met, when is that knife dated to?)
... the surviving examples of these kind of triple-ballock-daggers - known to me - are all from the second half of the 15th century.

Below you can see another example of this type.

Regards

Martin

Attachment: 113.31 KB
Enthauptung des Hl. Kilian 1465 ; 1475 ; Wartberg an der Krems ; Österreich.jpg

... and another original from the Musee de l'Armee in Paris, France:

Attachment: 99.92 KB
Paris Armeemuseum.jpg

Your client has great taste. I've always wanted a tri-lobed ballock dagger. If he or she doesn't buy it, let me know!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: