Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Rocks and Michael B's Analysis of Their Proper Use Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Harry J. Fletcher

Reading list: 44 books

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jan, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Blaz Makes a Point         Reply with quote

Thank you Blaz for the new perspective on rocks although we had only considered them for throwing, dropping and static defense, the cheisled rock (i.e. knapped rock) does have a place in this discussion. It is ironic to think that stone age warriors used rocks in a more sophisticated fashion than iron age warriors who used rocks in a more primitive mode. This appears to be a case of all us missing the point as Blaz has pointed out with his beautiful pictures.

The two stone axes though are used in the same fashion as rocks as their percussive smashing effectiveness is the same as that of a thrown rock. We have certainly been caught napping (or not knapping as this case demonstrates) when it comes to stone arrowheads. I think this calls for a distinct Craig Peter's Typology category perhaps XXVIII. Blaz's point is well taken. As for the last item pictured while appearing to be of stone this is for purely decorative purposes and simply does not qualify as a weapon.

Now we come the heart of Michael B.'s argument of the rock as a weapon. Does the flint axe and knapped arrowheads qualify for the definition of Michael B.'s analysis of rocks as a weapon? No, I think not because Michael B. was referring to simple unrefined rocks as weapons rather than sophisticated works of art as presented by Blaz.

Sorry Blaz but these objects simply do not fit Michael B.'s analysis; however, in all fairness we should let Michael B. be the final arbitor as to the final conclusion of this argument since it is his definitive analysis.

Regards,

Harry

To Study The Edge of History
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jan, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are beautiful samples Blaz, however, I believe that they fit better in this thread http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=18629, dealing with stone weaponry, opposed to using stones as weapons. Unrefined. I think as soon as a rock is shaped, it becomes a designated weapon, otherwise it's a weapon of opportunity, the cheapest, and most readily available object to turn into a weapon, but not it's sole purpose.

I can't believe I was just sucked into this.

www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jan, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Example using a rock.

www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jan, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Blaz         Reply with quote

I do believe Blaz caught the lot of us knapping...I'm surprised the standing stones of Brittany, Pictland and Stonehedge haven't been added to the thread as yet.
And then there is that Stone of the Oliver variety,who makes weapons from celluloid and imaginary conspiracies. Some find them defensive, others offensive, but never more than a stone's throw away from hard rock contraversies.

Bon coeur et bon bras

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Rocks and Michael B's Analysis of Their Proper Use
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: