not my usual interest but I like this one
36%
 36%  [ 44 ]
Total Votes : 121

Started on the pommel today:
[ Linked Image ]
Very nice work: I really like all the engraving work on the shell guard. :cool:
cutlass work in progress
Ben, This is going to be a fantastic piece. You are just getting better all the time and I'm glad I have booked a seax with you.
I believe Jake Powning has some competition now.
Am looking forward to seeing this piece finished and will seriously have to think about the sabre.
Peter.
Finished polishing the pommel today, and started on the grip.
[ Linked Image ]
Outstanding so far! I am getting excited.
Ben thats stunning. your work on the guard is amazing! I am looking forward to seeing this sword all finnished up!
Here is the Grip after carving most of the day, not quite finished but getting there:
[ Linked Image ]
I love the grip.

Can't wait to see it all together!
It takes a lot to impress me with "fantasy" work, even--or especially--when it's historically inspired. But your design and execution here is so restrained and harmonious that I can't help but admire it. Can't wait to see the finished piece!
To clarify, I don't intend to use the term "fantasy" in a condescending or dismissive manner. For me it just means a piece with significant original (modern) design without a documented historical counterpart. There are tons of hangers with this overall design, but many of the details are unique to this piece--the decoration, especially, but possibly also the shape of the pommel. So, it's an original inspired by historical pieces without slavish copying. That it offers a modern interpretation that is true to the historical weapons is what is so impressive about it, but also is what causes me to think of it as "fantasy". It's hard to do well, but this piece seems to have "it". Peter Johnsson does it well in some of his work and I feel the same way about those projects.
Finished.

Here is a sneak peek, Lord willing I will be taking better quality pictures and measuring it tomorrow.
Until then enjoy:
[ Linked Image ]

This piece is for sale on a first come first served basis PM me if you are interested the price will be $3000 USD
Ben, you are cruel, cruel man! Only letting us see this picture and leaving yearning for more! Truth to be told what we see is splendid, but we want more!
I am siting around with a worm on my tongue!
(waiting with baited breath, that is to say)
That is a beautiful sword.

I can't wait to see more!
Wow! Brass nailheads in the handle!! I love how you tied that together with the shell guard. Amazing work Mr.Potter, thanks very much for documenting the process. I've really enjoyed this thread.
By the way, would you mind posting a photo of it in hand? To get an idea of the size.
[ Linked Image ]

Click on the image to go to the gallery page.

I'll try to get a picture of it in hand tomorrow, and post the weight as well.
I just can't see a flaw... I'm really impressed! Extremely nice work, Ben, congratulations !

Cheers,

David
A fantastic, precise, carefully and masterful done work!
I think it very soon will find a new proud owner.
Thank you for showing the progress of it´s birth!
I can see only one flaw with this sword
Namely, I don't own it (and cant afford it, so two flaws really ;) )
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Page 3 of 4

Jump to: