Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Beyond impressive work and incredible dedication and perseverance if one good back to the first post on this whole project and one takes in all the work that must have been involved getting here.

Also, the amount of research into the regional and period aesthetics and learning the skills to do it all. :D :cool:
Boris, could you please post pictures of cavalry greaves on your legs?

Needless to say but it is a marvelous job! And a great inspiration for people like me who make their own armor.
Jean
When I go back to the very beginning of this project, I see a lot of differences between my initial idea and what it is now. During my work I didn't stopped to make this project more and more complicated, but I don't regret.
Also, I'm very happy with the presentation of something which is relatively unknown to the West. This really makes myArmoury inexhaustible resource of knowledge.

Also, I'm very happy with your kind and positive feedbacks, friends!
Thank you very much for your patience to see it finished.

Aleksei
I haven't forgotten to do this.
My original intention is to show pictures of both infantry and cavalry greaves on my legs simultaneously in one post - I think this would be good for comparison. I also have an idea for a weird picture, in which I wear one greave of both on my legs.

But it's not a problem to show the cavalry greaves on my legs before finishing the infantry ones.
On Aleksei's request - here is a series of pictures, showing the greaves on:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
And four more:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Looks good, I think.
The Greaves - Continue
This weekend I made some tests for the future sabatons of the infantry greaves. Finally, I've stopped my choice on two different options.

First was this:

[ Linked Image ]

what I called of integral construction - the whole section is one piece. This section was not completed - I've made it just to the point where I was able clearly to imagine the future whole one.
The rings were slightly different - 1.6 mm wire with inner diameter of 7 mm. That's why both sections look not quite good.

The second:

[ Linked Image ]

consists of two separate pieces, connected together with third, triangular one. As the first, this section was also made just to the half.
Comparing both, I decided to use the first one - the second seems to me too complicated and somewhat unnatural.
Here - two pictures with greave on my leg. These help well in comparing of the sections:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
The Greaves - Continue
Hi everyone!

We are closing the installation I serve in, moving all weaponry, equipment and all kinds of stock, so for the several weeks I have been (and will be for the next ones) quite busy.
That's why recently I made almost no progress with this project, but managed to finish the maille sections of the sabatons.

[ Linked Image ]

The left greave is almost completed, what remains is to finish it and to connect the right section to its corresponding one.
Wow, this is an amazing project! I can't wait to see what the full set looks like :D
The Greaves - Continue
The infantry greaves are ready:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

and some more detailed pictures of the left one:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Boris, i have saidit before, and ill say it again, this project is breathtaking,

i cannot wait to see the whole lot together,

aside from the helmet, what is left of the project to finish?
Beside the helmet, I have to finish only few refinements - leather lacing of the collar of the cuirass and some additional stitches of the maille sections of the gauntlets.
Strictly speaking, this is a work for no more but several hours.

Additionally, I plan to make some other items - silver-laced belt, classical kilij-type sabre (my choice is Sultan's Mehmet II Fatih one) and a dagger - but all these are parts of the whole kit, not parts of the armour itself.
It's been really awesome and inspiring to watch you create this awesome kit - I always grin when I see this thread pop up with new posts. Thank you so much for sharing, and congratulations on your impressive work!
The Greaves - Continue
And as with cavalry greaves - here is a series of pictures, showing the infantry ones on:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
And four more:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
as with all of the kit, these greaves look great,
cannot wait to see the sword your planning. that looks very interesting to see replicated.
This looks incredibly beautiful and you've been very inspirational. Little cogs are turning in my head that... maybe... just maybe... I SHOULD make my own scabbard, my own shoes etc.

I will most definately be watching this thread.
The Greaves - Ready
As an end for "The Greaves" chapter, these are several combined photos of both pieces. The differences in construction and coverage are clearly visible:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Some more to go:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
so the cavalry greaves are MEANT to be worn with the 'greave ' fastned on the side of the leg, i thought you just were waeing it that way because part of it wasnt ready.. interesting.. though i can see the benefit since its for a horseman so his legs will be against the flanks of the horse,
maybe the sides are more vulnerable to attacks..

i still keep thinking the greave needs the main plate facing forward, not outwards..
Quote:
... though i can see the benefit since its for a horseman so his legs will be against the flanks of the horse ...

Not only that! If you are a horsearcher, as most of the turkish cavalry were, you will need your legs to guide the horse and you need to "feel" the response of the horse with your legs. Wearing full greaves will hurt the horse and you will have no control over him with your legs.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Page 15 of 26

Jump to: