Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Yushman Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24, 25, 26  Next 
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First, in the beginning of my re-enactor carrier, I used this sabre

but it was until the time, I realized it was not Ottoman, neither period at all.

Now I use a pallash, which I made in 2008 - robust and reliable "event"-weapon. This summer I even re-worked its hilt, adding finger-rings on the guard.
Here is a picture from this-year event, where I used mixture of styles - my Second Bulgarian Empire's clothes and armour and Ottoman weaponry, in order to represent the mid 15th C. voynuk (In the early Ottoman Empire, the voynuk was a local man-at-arms of non-Muslim descend, serving on garrison and militia duties in exchange for some profits - lower taxes, private land-ownership, etc.). So, my pallash is well visible here

As a side arm, I usually use this mace

A period weapon which caught my eye, is Sultan Mehmed's Fatih kilij

this link: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...api082.jpg here

and I plan to make its replica (may be next year) of course, without the gold inlay.

"Everyone who has the right to wear a long sword, has to remember that his sword is his soul,
and he has to separate from it when he separates from his life"
Tokugawa Ieyasu

Find my works on Facebook:
Boris Bedrosov's Armoury

Last edited by Boris Bedrosov on Thu 06 Oct, 2011 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: The Bazubands - Continue         Reply with quote

The padding was riveted on the plates of the bazuband

* inside

** inside back

*** inside front

and **** outside

What was left is to trim the maile section and to sew it to the padding.

"Everyone who has the right to wear a long sword, has to remember that his sword is his soul,
Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: The Greaves - Continue         Reply with quote

Meanwhile, the greaves were sanded and polished

Now, I am trying to figure out how to decorate them, i.e. what technique to apply.
My mind is drifting between repousse (almost completely discounted), engraving and etching; or some combination of engraving and etching.

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: The New Combat Shield         Reply with quote

As you perhaps remember, after seeing the result of the 'Zulfiquar'-shield, I decided to use it as a parade one, while making another dedicated especially for combat.

This

is my new combat shield, decorated in relatively simple (and easy to repair) pattern with traditional eight- and six-pointed stars. Here, I kept already known shapes, just the dimension are a little bit smaller.
The shield is still without its rawhide edging, but using already shown procedure this will be done soon.

An important feature of the new shield is its increased curvature. I managed to achieve this by using another form while the glue was drying - in this case this was a drum, almost three feet in diameter.
Here

you can compare by yourself two shields and clearly see the difference between them.

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: The Greaves - Continue         Reply with quote

Meanwhile, the infantry greaves were marked for engraving (actually, on the picture only the left one is completely ready, while the other one is still in the process)

And more detailed one

I took this 'flower'-design from original 16th C Ottoman gold-plated copper chamfron, which could be seen in Askeri Muze in Istanbul, Turkey.
The design on the smaller plates was taken from another Ottoman greave in possession of Royal Armouries, Leeds.

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Lukas Schramm

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This really looks like great progress!

I'm looking forward to seeing this kit finished. I'd love to have the material, time and skill to produce something just slightly similar to this!

Greetings
Lukas
Dave Carter

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New member to this site and mostly because of this thread. This is amazing work. I am in the SCA and am trying to improve on my Ottoman Kit.
This is what my dream kit would look like with the yushman.
Thank you so much for sharing this with us Boris.
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unbelievable!
In the beginning I just couldn't imagine that this topic would be visited more than 50,000 times.

Thanks a lot, guys! It's a great honour for me to be a part of this community.
Thank you very much indeed!

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The internet is a marvelous tool, Boris, but it's only as good as the contributions made by people in the real world. Your project has been very inspirational and extremely well-executed. Keep it up. Cheers!

-Gregory
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: The Greaves - Continue         Reply with quote

The infantry greaves after engraving, but before blackening

Note that the blueish spot on the left one is from test-heating - I wanted to check how the grooves will look like after the heating.
And the greaves after blackening

Closer

and even more closer image

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
William P

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i am going to SO enjoy looking ast you wearing the finished product.. im just a tiny bit bummed that those armoured boots arnt part of your time period but oh well if they were you would be as well armoured as any europea knight of the same period.

the blueing adds a very nice effect to the blackened surface... i have no criticcisms of the piece, im sure someone who knows a ton more mght be able to point out a flaw SOMEWHERE but from me, nothing but praise for an absolutely beautiful kit.

btw, what did the ottomans use as heavy weapons, large axes like the tabar, halberds? or even long handled maces?
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

BTW, William, blue on the blackened surface is by itself a flaw, or at least in heat-blackening technology that I used. The blueish spots mean that I didn't manage to heat the surface evenly, but it doesn't matter - I think this looks very, very cool.

Regarding your other question, my humble opinion is that the Ottoman strongly relied on, and respectively used, such heavy weapons, especially when dealing with heavily armoured European counterparts.
Here some of their weapons, which I managed to shot in different museums:

* Some tabars (or teber in modern Turkish) and battle-axes:

Note the dimensions of the tabars - they are typical "armour-crushers"

** Another tabar (in the middle) surrounded with a bunch of battle-axes:

*** Three bardiche-like weapons - also with enormous sizes (the blade of the left one is longer than a meter):

I have no evidence of usage of long handled maces (I have not seen such), but freely quoting Ewart Oakeshott - a lack of an artifact is not proof for non-existence.

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: The Greaves - Continue         Reply with quote

This autumn I started studying for my second master degree and during the last two weeks I did little progress on the project.

In the hours "stolen" from the lessons I was preparing the cavalry greaves for etching.
Everything starts with pattern - in this case the pattern for the contour. The motif is the same as the one on the bazubands:

The pattern was stuck over the central plate

and I started carefully to apply tar in the holes.
Over the smaller plates the tar was applied by hand (without a pattern) and this is the result of the work before the end:

When the tar dried off, the pattern was removed, leaving a surface with a lot of unwanted tar

which should be removed with a painstaking process

working only with sharpened wooden sticks.

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
William P

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Boris Petrov Bedrosov wrote:
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

BTW, William, blue on the blackened surface is by itself a flaw, or at least in heat-blackening technology that I used. The blueish spots mean that I didn't manage to heat the surface evenly, but it doesn't matter - I think this looks very, very cool.

Regarding your other question, my humble opinion is that the Ottoman strongly relied on, and respectively used, such heavy weapons, especially when dealing with heavily armoured European counterparts.
Here some of their weapons, which I managed to shot in different museums:

* Some tabars (or teber in modern Turkish) and battle-axes:

Note the dimensions of the tabars - they are typical "armour-crushers"

** Another tabar (in the middle) surrounded with a bunch of battle-axes:

*** Three bardiche-like weapons - also with enormous sizes (the blade of the left one is longer than a meter):

I have no evidence of usage of long handled maces (I have not seen such), but freely quoting Ewart Oakeshott - a lack of an artifact is not proof for non-existence.

how big are those tabars, particularly the double bitted ones, they indeed look enormous, and im wondering if they were actually meant to be used in battle? they look highly impractical due to the huge size of the blades and the massive thickness of the hafts.

and which museum are these items housed in?
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First picture is from Slovakian State Historical Museum in Bratislava; the last is from Askeri Muze in Istanbul, Turkey; the second one - I'm not quite sure where I took it - it's more likely from Askeri (again), but it might be from Topkapi Palace (again in Istanbul).

Regarding the size of the tabars in Slovakian Museum - on the picture they appear bigger than in the reality - I think this effect is due to the strange angle of the picture. Yes - they are big indeed, but not so big that it might look.
From the other hand, I also think that upper two are more likely parade/ceremonial ones; but the last, which appears to be extremely heavy and clumsy, actually was relatively crude made, which is more typical for combat weapons, not for parade or ceremonial ones.

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Greaves - Continue         Reply with quote

Boris Petrov Bedrosov wrote:
This autumn I started studying for my second master degree

What the heck. I don't know how you manage it Boris with a masters degree ongoing, a newborn baby, and a job on the side maybe? I too have a todler, a job and my projects are moving at snail pace because of that while yours are crusing at amazing speed!

Like many I have followed your progress on your works here and I am in awe with what you have achieved. Are you professionally trained in the craft? Are you improvising as you go? Anyway this thread is epic and I'm looking forward to see more Happy

Btw what happened to that longsword you hilted a while ago (a side project!) Would you have any pics of the finished sword?

All the best,

Julien
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
......I don't know how you manage it Boris with a masters degree ongoing, a newborn baby, and a job on the side maybe? .......

I don't know also Big Grin that's why I just try to keep on Big Grin Big Grin

On this picture

the longsword I hilted is seventh from the right (the last of the longswords, closer to the tip of the blue heater). All these are property of the members of one (if not the best) of our fencing clubs.

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: The New Combat Shield - Continue         Reply with quote

The edges of the new combat shield were trimmed with rawhide and padding added.

*front

and ** back

What is left to be done is only the adding of the carrying straps.

Meanwhile, the shield was successfully tasted in battle during one of ours annual events

http://bbedrosov.snimka.bg/hobby/varna-05-11-2011.632647

where it got nice and real ''combat'' appearance.

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Impressive in every way Boris but just out of curiosity, how many hours of work do you estimate you put into this project ?

Just thinking how much this would have cost if you had it made by a custom armour maker ? Although I don't think such a project can be valued using just what the costs of having it made would have been, I tend to think that one could have easily spent $30,000 or even more to have it made.

But it's value is much greater for you in experience and pride of workmanship i.e. priceless. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have never made such estimate, but I think it's not less than 1200-1300 working hours so far; in this is not included the time for research and initial planning.
Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Yushman Project
Page 12 of 26 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24, 25, 26  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: