Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Romulus Stoica wrote:
Quote:
... I have a daughter born just a month ago and she takes me almost all of my time and attention.

Congratulations! I know perfectly what you feel, I have a daughter too, 1 year and 9 months old. Her favourite book is a small illustrated encyclopedia of weapons and armor :) ...I would like to hear more about your bazubands. I want to make some too.

:wtf: :?: really? wow... thats a pleasent surprise, just goes to show what kids are capable of getting absorbed in, :cool:
Boris Petrov Bedrosov wrote:
Hi, all forum-mates!

I want to apologize for my silence, but I have a daughter born just a month ago and she takes me almost all of my time and attention.
Now, I consider to speed up with this project in order to finish it around the begging of November for our annual recreation of the Battle of Varna, 1444

Please let me add my late congratulations. Daughters are wonderful they make you look at the world in a different way. My grandson is going to be two in November and his favorite books are ones with horses, swords, and dragons. He loves my military history magazines and he makes up stories from the pictures.

Your armor is fantastic! It is a beautiful work of art and love. Do you ride a horse as Mehmet? Do you have any pictures if you do? I would love to see more of your gear and such. Does your wife take part as well? Do you have pictures from past events?

Sincerely,
Don Hoban
Forks, WA.
My best masterpiece ever

[ Linked Image ]

The Dad's princess just after her Presentation at the Temple (which, according to the Eastern Orthodox tradition is made forty days after the child's birth). This is also the time when traditionally, the newborn is first shown to the other people (different from parents and close relatives)

[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Boris Bedrosov on Fri 23 Sep, 2011 11:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Yes, your best work yet. :D :cool:

Congratulations and you must be very happy and proud as she looks like an angel. :)
Congratulations Boris... She looks beautiful! You shall have to fashion her some armor as well. :)
My best masterpiece ever

I love the level of detail. It looks so real! :lol:

Congrats though, I wish her all the best!
Congratulations! She's a masterpiece indeed!
Congratulations! And she's indeed a masterpiece!
Congratulations!

Good work there! ;)
The Bazubands - Continue
Thank you very much indeed, friends!

Recently, trying to maintain good pace on the project, I am working over the bazubands.
This picture here

[ Linked Image ]

shows the left one test-fitted with the glove, maile-gauntlet and the padding from the inside. Unfortunately, I can't provide a picture of the bazuband from the inside - I disassembled the test-fit to quickly. Really sorry :mad: - the baby occupies not only almost all of my time, but almost all of my mind also :lol: :D :lol:

As some sort of compensation - here is an image from the inside of "the real thing" - an original bazubands, once belonged to someone Karim-Khan Zand-Zandiyeh. Although, a later variant (about 16th C) with smaller plates, connected with maile, the view is really what it has to be - and what I want to achieve with mine.

[ Linked Image ]

And the following images show the bazuband put on my arm.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

The white straps are adhesive paper tape :lol: . Note also that the maile is not attached to the padding yet.
Beautiful! Both Your daughter and Your armour.
My son was born in January, so I understand when You have little time for armour making. ;)

Here is my little family:
http://nomadok.gportal.hu/picview.php?prt=953...p;index=21

What will You wear under the armour? Do You have some kind of gambeson? I had some difficulties with the bazubands. They tended to move on my wrist, making unable to rotate my hand, especially after quick, strong movements, like hitting with the saber's hilt or riding the horse fast. Then I started to use a "gambeson-like" cloth with long arms. It is better, when I fasten the bazubands around my arm and this long sleeve tightly, the sleeve keeps them in place, but not perfectly. What is Your experience?
The Bazubands - Continue
The buckles and straps for the bazubands

[ Linked Image ]
Very glad to see that this project is still coming along, Boris. The bazubands look gorgeous. Congratulations on your beautiful daughter! Very exciting news. I hope she is well. :)

-Gregory
Some unanswered questions:

To William P
I will use turban-style helmet, which was more typical for the period, compared with the zichagge style. Actually, at that time (the middle of 15th C.) the zichagge just have made its appearance and its forms were quite rudimentary, far away from the excellent 16th C examples. The helmet will look like that on the image, provided by Maurizio D'Angelo in the very begging of the topic.
Its blank is made right now by a friend of mine, who wants to practice with its forms. This of course, DOES NOT mean that I'm unable to do it, but he just makes me a favour, while practicing.

It is true about the armoured boots. There is a perfect example of such in The Royal Armouries, Leeds UK and it caught my eye as a potential item in the initial planning phase of the project. Unfortunately, this boot s from the 16th C (I'm not sure about exact period - first half or middle, but its definitely out of the period of my reconstruction).

To Don H.
All in all, I have ridden once a horse and once a camel. During the events I fight as infantry. You can see picture from different events here

http://www.snimka.bg/?profile,albums

just browse through the albums. Please, bear in mind, that I take pictures relatively rare during the events.

To Tibor
Under the armour I wear a padded kaftan. You can see it on the very first picture of the topic. Just bear in mind that this picture was taken in 2007, but the last year I re-worked it and now the kaftan is a little bit thicker.
About the bazubands - my experience shows that this tendency of slipping down exsists virtually for every type of arm protection and the bazubands are not exception.
Some unanswered questions:

To William P
I will use turban-style helmet, which was more typical for the period, compared with the zichagge style. Actually, at that time (the middle of 15th C.) the zichagge just have made its appearance and its forms were quite rudimentary, far away from the excellent 16th C examples. The helmet will look like that on the image, provided by Maurizio D'Angelo in the very begging of the topic.
Its blank is made right now by a friend of mine, who wants to practice with its forms. This of course, DOES NOT mean that I'm unable to do it, but he just makes me a favour, while practicing.

It is true about the armoured boots. There is a perfect example of such in The Royal Armouries, Leeds UK and it caught my eye as a potential item in the initial planning phase of the project. Unfortunately, this boot s from the 16th C (I'm not sure about exact period - first half or middle, but its definitely out of the period of my reconstruction).

To Don H.
All in all, I have ridden once a horse and once a camel. During the events I fight as infantry. You can see picture from different events here

http://www.snimka.bg/?profile,albums

just browse through the albums. Please, bear in mind, that I take pictures relatively rare during the events.

To Tibor
Under the armour I wear a padded kaftan. You can see it on the very first picture of the topic. Just bear in mind that this picture was taken in 2007, but the last year I re-worked it and now the kaftan is a little bit thicker.
About the bazubands - my experience shows that this tendency of slipping down exsists virtually for every type of arm protection and the bazubands are not exception.

I Just looked up the turban helmet... ..need i speculate that your going to be as scary as hell in that thing. though my 10th C rus helm isnt too far from the mark especially when i extend the ventail so that it covers pretty much everything but the eyes
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=
The Bazubands - Continue
The buckles

[ Linked Image ]

and the straps

[ Linked Image ]

are riveted to the plates of the bazuband.
Another three shots

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

I know, it's possible a question - if this is the correct disposition of the buckles and straps, to arise. I also had these doubts, but this historical piece

[ Linked Image ]

gives the answer - buckles inside and straps outside.
Another closer (and more cropped) image, showing the buckles and straps:

[ Linked Image ]

Finally, two images of the padding with already sewn on it maile-gaunlet
* front
[ Linked Image ]

** and back
[ Linked Image ]
Re: The Bazubands - Continue
The buckles

[ Linked Image ]

and the straps

[ Linked Image ]

are riveted to the plates of the bazuband.
Another three shots

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

I know, it's possible a question - if this is the correct disposition of the buckles and straps, to arise. I also had these doubts, but this historical piece

[ Linked Image ]

gives the answer - buckles inside and straps outside.
Another closer (and more cropped) image, showing the buckles and straps:

[ Linked Image ]

Finally, two images of the padding with already sewn on it maile-gaunlet
* front
[ Linked Image ]

** and back
[ Linked Image ]

image of that bauzeband with 3 pieces integrated with the gauntlet reminds me ALOT of the samurai kote, funnily enough..
again. masterful. though ill be honest even a lesser job would have left me amazed so im not the BEST judge of whether what you do is super excellent or not. i just like the look of it.
To me, the maile-gauntlet is very similar in shape to kotte (the samurai gauntlet).

But it's normal, I think.
You probably know the same problem often brings similar solutions.
To me, the maile-gauntlet is very similar in shape to kotte (the samurai gauntlet).

But it's normal, I think.
You probably know the same problem often brings similar solutions.

in biology its called convergent evolution..

someone has i think asked this question but what sword will you have?
congradulations Boris! As a new father of a beautiful baby girl I can understand how that takes precedence over projects like this. I have been following this thread for a long time and I am thuroughly impressed! thank you for adding so much to this site!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Page 11 of 26

Jump to: