An odd request (schiavona info)
Hi all. Happy New Year!

I have a strange request... It may not seem strange to most here, but I'm really out of my comfort zone with this one!

Recently the opportunity arose to have a sword created for me by a well-known and very gifted Maker.

Now, most people know me as a Chinese sword guy, although I have owned a small number of European swords and Bronze Age replicas as well. The Maker in question does not want to change his focus, which is European Swords. And so I have decided upon a Schiavona, a sword I like very much.

I prefer the Type 2a hilt pattern, but have trouble finding a variety of photos and Illustrations of this specific hilt type. So I humbly ask if anyone in possession of photos or illustrations of this type please show them, so I have something to present as examples. I need as many as possible, for comparative purposes. I hope there are some around here somewhere, what with this being the number one place I have ever seen with information relating to Schiavone... I have already looked through the search functions here and found some, but hope for more if possible.

Thanks in advance,

BENNISON N
I'm not at home right now so please excuse my quick response. There are many samples in our Photo Albums of schiavone including a nice example of a Type 2a hilt. My Schiavona article shows some, too.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall the percentage of Type 2a hilts but as far as I can tell, the type is the least common.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

As I'm a fan of the schiavona, I'd be curious to know who you have chosen for the task. I am eager to see it completed!
Attached is a sample of a schiavona with a Type 2a hilt.

A schiavona with scabbard

Venetian around 1650
Double edged blade, with three fullers on each side and a S-shaped stamp on the ricasso. Typical basket hilt with two "ladders" and thumb ring. Brass pommel with center embossed in the shape of a stylized cat's head. Original leather gasket with geometric openwork patterns, and fishskin grip cover over cord grip wrapping. Leather covered (minor damage on the reverse side) wooden scabbard with a long iron chape held on with six clasps. Length: 107.5 cm.
An edged weapon preserved intact in original condition.

Attachment: 42.55 KB
schiavona_type2a_001.jpg
Schiavona, Venetian, circa 1650
© Hermann Historica

And another schiavona with a Type 2a hilt:

A Venetian schiavona,

17th/18th centuries. Double-edged blade of flattened hexagonal cross-section (18th century) with a short fuller at the root of the blade on each side. There is a smith's mark on the reverse side ricasso. Forged iron (somewhat pitted) lattice/basket hilt with a thumb ring. Brass pommel in the shape of a stylized cat's head. Leather grip cover restored. Length 106 cm.

Attachment: 43.96 KB
schiavona_type2a_002.jpg
Schiavona
© Hermann Historica

Thanks Nathan! I knew you'd be the guy to ask.

I actually thought that the 2a was the least common type.

I've asked a few makers for quotes, but had a place in one prticular waiting list that I was hoping would be the one to do it.

I'm just waiting now, and will tell you who it is when they get back to me.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: