Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > King Arthur Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jul, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you look really close at the picture you can almost see him thinking, "fear my rubbery might!" Wink
John Gruber

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New guy here... Hi everybody Big Grin Did you notice Arthur's horse had nicely fluted steel chamfron??? My two favorite scenes: 1. guinevere taking a bath in a snow storm with space aged insulated gauze sheets for curtains.
2. Before the last battle when Arthur is talking to the head Saxon... Arthur's head and upper body are off screen so the dialogue between them seems to be between the horse and the Saxon WTF?! Laughing Out Loud
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got around to seeing it finally. I have to say the plot and all the historical inaccuracies disappointed me greatly. But after sitting on it for about a week and a half I think I have decided that I do like this movie. I found Lancelot's swords to be very interesting, I liked them, except for the grips, I found them kind of weird. Just me though. I will say that disappointment in the story has caused me, as an amateur author, to strongly consider writing my version of the "true story of king Arthur" Big Grin
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry to bring this year old topic back from the dead but I just watched the Directors Cut version of the DVD and its much better than what I saw in the theater. It much darker and more violent...just has more umph to it. I actually apprectiated the differences in the armor that the knights wore (based on where they were from) in the final battle. The dialog is still cheesy at times but its still an improvement over what Disney originally put out.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And " Hollywood " wonders why fewer people go out to movie when only waiting for the directors cuts will show you what the director intended. ( Or a better version of the story. )

Also stupid to not stick to the actual history with these kind of films especially if there are abundant original sources: When they don't stick to history they usually put into the script all the tired clichés we have seen so many times that usually just seeing the trailer for the film will give the whole story away. (Example of bad decisions: The stupid and impossible bedding of the princess in Brave Heart leading us to think that a future king of England would be the bastard child of William Wallace WTF?! )

And the real history would just make better films.

Marcos;

Thanks for the tip will now consider buying the Arthur DVD.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The alternate ending is also much better than the fluffy, feel good ending of the theatrical version.

The 'making of' documentary is also quite good. It explains the research and design decisions that went into the arms, armor and story. It gave me a whole new appreciation for what the director was trying to do.
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've only seen the Director's Edition, however this movie really did not impresse me.

I was hoping, after everything I heard and read that it would be atleast entertaining as a fantasy film a la Conan. And although the movie has some moments, terrible dialoge and bad acting really didn't do the movie any good. The Saksen Commander (sorry, forgot his name) really had no dimensions what so ever. The entire Saksen force was portraided as this evil force.

I can't comment to much on Saksen and Roman military strategy, however I agree with David Stokes' earlier comments that all the big battle scenes in historic movies these days are generally the same.

The Making Off... that was on the Director's Edition disc didn't really explain anything to me. According to the crew, they were trying to make this movies gritty and realistic, and although they may have succeeded to some extend in the gritty part, I couldn't really say that things were realistic. The CGI-crew themselves commented that they had to create matte-paintings and CGI envirements to create the scenery for over 300 shots, because they couldn't find the kind of scenery they wanted anywere.

I will say that the idea of creating such a big part of Hadrians (spelling??) Wall was a great idea, better then a complete CGI wall.
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was thinking about what the Historical and Weapon Consulants said. Training the extras to use tactics that the Saxons would have; the design considerations for Arthurs sword and the fighting styles used by the knights.

I would love to see a movie where there were non-penetrating hits to the armor. With the way Hollywood portrays armor, you'd think it was just for decoration. I'm still trying to figure out how Maximus got his shoulder slashed under his armor in Gladiator.
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marcos Cantu wrote:
I was thinking about what the Historical and Weapon Consulants said. Training the extras to use tactics that the Saxons would have; the design considerations for Arthurs sword and the fighting styles used by the knights.

I would love to see a movie where there were non-penetrating hits to the armor. With the way Hollywood portrays armor, you'd think it was just for decoration. I'm still trying to figure out how Maximus got his shoulder slashed under his armor in Gladiator.

The thing is, there is nothing historical about the sword-design for Excalibur or the fighting styles of the Knights. Lancelot wields what looks like two gladius-like blades with kinda Viking-like hilts. Styles envolving two swords didn't excists during those days, as far as I know. Bors uses two blades, each attached to some sort of knuckle-guard. Equilaly odd.

Tristan fights with what appears to be a Chinese saber. I'm not an expert in Chinese weapons, but I understand that it's of 17th century design.

Exaclibur itself is very inconsistent with swords of that period. IMO, it seems something that would appear in Conan.
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mad Hey now, lets not drag Conan into this Wink

I think the fact is that this was a fantasy movie anyways... Gladiator and alexander were attempts at historical accuracy, but sometimes a movie is just a movie.

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Oster wrote:
Mad Hey now, lets not drag Conan into this Wink

I think the fact is that this was a fantasy movie anyways... Gladiator and alexander were attempts at historical accuracy, but sometimes a movie is just a movie.

Sorry Alex, didn't want to sound to negative about Conan. Still one of my favorite fantasy films.
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No problem, I was really just kidding. Interesting though, tghey did try to mix a lot of historicaly acurate stuff into the designs of the conan designs. I've been meaning to look up more stuff that Ron Cobb designed. The conglomeration really appeals to me.
The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > King Arthur
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: