Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Unetice culture (1800 - 1600 BC) dagger Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jan, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roman Bachnak wrote:
Jeroen / Stephane - I can imagine that in the bronze age definition of the material was rather broad; some casts had more copper / less tin then others. Local source of copper as the primary metal determined content of alloying additives. In his regard, I can say that each bronze age item I have is different in material appearance. I have one which looks like silver. Another has a polished hard look of a stone.

I speculate that each shop used just one type of bronze for all purposes - hilt, blade, anything. Differences were from shop to shop.

I know hoards where the items all have different alloys, even including the rivets. And this was the case for a weapons hoard that clearly belonged to a metalworker (including a halberd that was unfinished and some pieces of bronze scrap). A lot of bronze was recycled, and bronze was traded from many directions. So you get a lot of different bronzes in one location.

Quote:
Regarding the decoration on the blade was it cast as such or cut in after casting?
This is hammered in using punches.
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
- Bronze age living history in the Netherlands
- Barbarian metalworking
- Museum photos
- Zip-file with information about saxes
Roman Bachnak

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jan, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeroen -

If a single metalworker produces a weapon whose elements are in different metal - all bronze but differing from batch to batch due to differing origin of the raw material - it could mean that the metalworker stocks the individual elements of the weapon: produces several hilts from one batch then several blades from another batch and several rivets from yet another batch. This would assume he has use of several hilt / blade / rivet moulds which he can use in parallel. By doing so he would avoid re-melting the metal. Or were perhaps rivets the only items stocked and each dagger made to order (which would avoid the need for multiple moulds but would require re-melting for each order)?

It would be helpful to know how the weapons were traded: Did the producer took his stock to a "market"? The "market" perhaps took the form of the metalworker travelling from a settlement to settlement with his stock (which would imply having some security detail with him to avoid robbery but that's a different topic...). Is there any evidence about the issue of how the weapons were traded in early bronze age?

Roman
Vaclav Homan

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jan, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To swords hilts. I have experience with bronz swords from excavation. Fine swords we can holden in hand, dagger too. There is kind of small elementary bronze swords from middle bronze age. Every people who handled with it say this swords are for child.
Hilt of this small sword is obnoxious you can not handled as sabre foil or rapier with it.

There is only one art of fence yet many ways to reach it

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Unetice culture (1800 - 1600 BC) dagger
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: