Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your first sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword was a "replica" of Peter the Great's sword, which I bought in York, England, in 2000: http://www.a2armory.com/images/peter-great-large.jpg . I banged up the edges fairly badly, and have since sold it. My second sword was a $300 (CAD) Sword of Valen from House of Knives. It's still a wall hanger, but it looks more "medieval" than the Peter the Great sword, and it had one of the less "fantasy" hilt furnitures of many swords offered by House of Knives at that time: http://www.trickstraps.com/Weapons/Large/Valen.JPG. I still keep it around, mostly so as a juxtaposition piece to contrast with my Albions.

My first real sword was the Albion Squireline Late 15th C Bastard Sword.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
as i don't have the complete sword and it is a mix i cannot say the darksword-armory squire sword nor the saxon sword but it is a mix of the two (squire blade with saxon pommel and crossguard) the handle is of the spartha from the same company quite a frankenstein sword but works ok Laughing Out Loud

Sounds interesting. Could you post some pictures?
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An antique American Civil War medical officers sword. My neighbor found it in an umbrella stand for $2 and bought it for me, I think I was around ten or eleven, I played with it all the time as a young child. In many ways it helped fuel my interest in the past. I miss the days when you could find antique swords for two dollars; with the internet everyone that has a sword can find its value and sell it, before the internet people not interested in swords just looked at them as "old things" and sold them for next to nothing. It still hangs on my wall, and is still my favorite sword...because of my history playing with it.
Cheers,
Hadrian

Historia magistra vitae est
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

here it is my frankenstein sword Laughing Out Loud tough i don't know how it looks to all of you and i don't tthink if it can count as a custom but anyway it is my first fonctional sword Laughing Out Loud

Attachment: 123.16 KB
100_1605.JPG

Attachment: 103.39 KB
100_1609.JPG

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks very nice Etienne. I think that all the pieces look good together. COngratulations on putting that together.

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thank you scott i apreciate it Big Grin
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the fun thread.

Here is a pic of my first 'sword'. I built it from a hockey stick more than 30 years ago. I can no longer read the Elven ruins. It actually has a nice balance.

A friend and I both made them, as well as shields, and with the addition of hockey masks we attempted to beat the heck out of each other in the backyard, until we were caught by my parents and moved our bouts to the local woods.

Attachment: 31.93 KB
[ Download ]
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword was this Hanwei Practical Knightly. I bought it in Conway back in 2002. I had spent a great day looking round the castle and then had a look around The Knight Shop which is located just across the road. It was pretty much an impulse buy. After seeing the selection of swords on display and with daydreams of the castle and knights swirling around my head I was not leaving Conway without a sword! I think I made a fairly good choice given all the gaudy wall hangers they had, I didn't know much about swords then but this one appealed to me as it looked more like the ones I had seen illustrated in books or in museums. Plus the chap there said it was 'Battle Ready'! Last year I cleaned it up and re-wrapped the grip with chamois leather.

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Martin Murd

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first is "Practical Single-Hand Hanwei Sword"

Has seen quite an abuse and training against different swords and trainers. For some reason it has served me over 2 years now and i am thinking of replacing my trainer and wallhanging this one.

Merlon
Viktor Johansson

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jan, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Albion Talhoffer sword came today! It was quite the thing to hold one properly balanced sword for the first time. It felt more heavy then I expected, I would probably have a hard time using it with only one hand. This type of sword is probably hard to cut with. As far as i estimate the CoP, or secondary node, is quite low on the edge so you have trouble cutting with the tip. But the tip is wickedly stiff and sharp, you could probably impale anything fleshy really easy. Anyway, I know pretty much nothing about sword characteristics or about handling swords so I won't say anything more.

The sword to my eye looks perfect, almost too perfect, everything is fitted and finished very well!

My proper camera has no batteries atm so I used crappy cell phone cam, sorry for the horribly high contrast images and poor lightning!

My kitchen table is really old and has these cool hand smithed nails!

Once again sorry for the crappy photos, but I couldn't wait to post them.
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well its finally time for me to join the ranks of the rest of you guys as my first sword is being made as we speak.
About 18 months ago I got on the waiting list of Rob Miller over at www.castlekeep.co.uk for a custom Oakeshott
type Xa and a scabbard to go with it. I've been interested in arms and armour for years but I'm a bit of a
perfectionist so I wanted to design my own sword, so of course I had to go the custom route. Its been a long
wait and it not over yet, Rob has just started my piece so stay tuned for some pictures when it arrives.

Éirinn go Brách
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Some days (okay, most days) I really envy people whose first swords were Albions or A&A swords or a nice custom piece. But occasionally, I prefer the experience of learning the hard and expensive way about what makes a good sword. Happy

I'm in the same boat. I bought my first sword when I was 13 at a very nice sidewalk sale in an old part of Clovis, CA. An elderly man had five or six cheap swords on display and I bought a clumsy, wall-hanger version of a mid-15th century Spanish broadsword, about 45" in length. I still have the thing, and it's still pretty cool. I've always meant to polish the blade, remove and clean the hardware and then bring it inside, but as of late it's been out in our garage hanging on a wall.

I went through a few extremely inexpensive wall hangers and nearly a dozen Deepeeka swords and a couple of Hanwai pieces, almost all of which are gone now. I have yet to take the plunge for an Albion or a custom blade, but I will eventually. College may have to pass me by, first! I'm glad I learned about value the hard way, because there is no replacing experience. I was able to buy inexpensive swords and enjoy them for what they were worth, and then sell them to others without regret and have only looked forward to seeing what better there is to get!

-Gregory

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
Ian. M

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New to the forum, so hope I do this right! My first (and only so far) Is a budget Ewart Park bronze sword from Neil Burridge. Built the handle and scabbard, but after reading the forum realised the handle's the wrong shape Worried
Saving up for a Limehouse one now!

Noticed many bronze swords show a dark varnish on the handles. Would this have been available in bronze age Britain?
Toke Krebs Niclasen

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

10 years ago I ordered a a set of Japanese wall hangers while ashore there.
When they arrived I held them and realised they were for decorative use only.

Last week I brought Albion's Viceroy and Vassal, respectively a 1½ hander and a falcion.
They are wonderful, I just have to figure out how to get scabbards for them.
I will start by trying to make them myself, what could go wrong? Wink

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Toke Krebs Niclasen wrote:
Last week I brought Albion's Viceroy and Vassal

Thank you for sharing your photos. Lovely choices.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword was a wallhanger, the Anduril. My first real sword was the Windlass Castillon.
Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Toke Krebs Niclasen

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had a rather unusual opportunity to handle a lot of Albion Sword before deciding.
A good thing as I found out that my hands are too wide for the viking swords. (or maybe my handling of them?)

The Vassal looks rather cleavery, but the outer 1/3 of the blade is pretty thin and it is remarkable light to handle.

Attachment: 86.7 KB
My Albion swords and two old hangers [ Download ]
Viktor Johansson

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Toke Krebs Niclasen wrote:

Last week I brought Albion's Viceroy and Vassal

Damn, nice taste! I was also eyeballing these before I got the Talhoffer. Absolutely superb. Can you post some more pics?

I'm currently saving for a nice bronze sword so it will be some time before I buy a new Albion. (Anyone knows where I can get good bronze weapons? I don't mind paying.)
Jared L.

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first wallhanger was some katana that probably looks like a hacksaw now I got it when I was 10. My first sword was the Paul Chen Practical Viking. It's stood up to everything.

Attachment: 73.21 KB
dfdfddfddf.jpg

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Viktor Johansson wrote:

I'm currently saving for a nice bronze sword so it will be some time before I buy a new Albion. (Anyone knows where I can get good bronze weapons? I don't mind paying.)

http://www.bronze-age-swords.com/index.htm - Neil Burridge in the UK - probably the best place in the world to get a bronze sword

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your first sword.
Page 3 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: