Lamellar suspension question
I have a lamellar cuirass that I really love, but the weight rests entirely on my shoulders.

The cuirass opens on the left side with buckles. I'm wondering if I could add interior belt loops and belt, which I could cinch down at the side opening. I think this interior belt will transfer the weight to my hips. Has anyone here tried any similar method to take the weight off of the shoulders?

I'm pretty confident that there's no evidence for or against this, so this is not a historical question, just a practical use question.
Gavin, the coat of plates I have has an interior belt just as you describe, don't know if it is period or not but it does help a bit. the key is to have it cinched tight around the side of your hips. extra padding on the shoulders also helps. would love to see a photo of your lammelar cuirass! tr
Gavin,
My leather lamellar has two interior belts, one above the "buddha belly" and one on my hips. It will stay in place with the shoulders unbuckled (it's a Greek linothorax pattern). I have seen some lamellar cuirass with a belt for each row of lamellae, mostly in the Byzantine pattern.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: