Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > XIIIb in progress by Michael Pikula. Finished! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 20 Dec, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Michael,
I am guessing that because of the beautiful weather we have been experiencing in the area that you have not been able to get anymore pictures of the blade. That and the fact that it sounds as if it is hard to get any pictures that will do it justice. I am looking forwards to seeing what you do with the fittings for the sword.

I would also like to add this. If anyone is thinking of having a sword, dagger, or polearm made I cannot recommend Michael enough. He is very easy to work with and understands not only what he is doing but does his best to understand what the customer wants. I know that this will not be the only project that I have Michael make for me. I already have a couple in mind that I will be speaking with him about. I also know that I am not the only one that is either planning on having him make them another piece or have already either contacted him about one or already received their second.

Scott

Yes I second this enthusiastically. Big Grin

Superior quality, reasonable ( so far ) turn around times that I'm guessing will get longer as more and more people discover his talent. Very good at understanding what the client is looking for, and what is very important to me when having a " using " capable weapon made, is that his design talent is not just with the aesthetics but in the functional " engineering " sense of making things sturdy: Every detail is thought out to avoid weak stress points or stress risers.

A tang will be as strong as it needs to be in all it's dimensions and not be the weakest point in a blade i.e with my Cinquedea project the very pronounced central rib on the blade is going to cross over into the tang and even if the tang ends up being narrow it with have as much or more thickness as the blade at the cross over point of tang and blade shoulders. The tang will probably distal taper towards the pommel as needed to balance the dagger.

Now I discussed this with Michael but he already had this in mind for the tang almost as if he had read my mind: In other words we are very much on the same page when it comes to what I think is good structural design.

Oh, it doesn't hurt that his work is impeccable in execution and finish perfection.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 20 Dec, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
am guessing that because of the beautiful weather we have been experiencing in the area that you have not been able to get anymore pictures of the blade.
Scott

that sounds all to familliar... with lovely wintery weather billowing over the countryside here, I wanted to try to get some nice artistic, moody photographs of swords done, lying in crisp bright snow - only to be foiled by the fact it's getting dark by half past 2 in the afternoon, pitch dark by 4pm, and the sun's a dismal lightening of the grey, flat sky low in the south, even at midday...

bah.

that said, the ageing technique is fascinating to watch - I'll look forward to the finished article, and to see how it comes out. that fuller is beautifully done, too.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 20 Dec, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JG Elmslie wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:
am guessing that because of the beautiful weather we have been experiencing in the area that you have not been able to get anymore pictures of the blade.
Scott

that sounds all to familiar... with lovely wintery weather billowing over the countryside here, I wanted to try to get some nice artistic, moody photographs of swords done, lying in crisp bright snow - only to be foiled by the fact it's getting dark by half past 2 in the afternoon, pitch dark by 4pm, and the sun's a dismal lightening of the grey, flat sky low in the south, even at midday...

bah.

that said, the ageing technique is fascinating to watch - I'll look forward to the finished article, and to see how it comes out. that fuller is beautifully done, too.

Tell me about it. Michael is a few hours north of me and they tend to get more snow then we do. At this time of the year we rarely have many sunny days and trying to take pictures out of doors is very hit or miss, more miss then hit mind you.

I agree that the fuller looks really nice. I hope to be able to make a trip to Michael's forge possibly next year and take a look around and see what he has in the works. I cannot wait to see what he does with the fittings and the grip to bring this all together.

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 20 Dec, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just thought I would post one of the pictures that Michael sent me tonight of the beginning of the fittings. This is not going to be the final pommel as Michael would like to go a little heavier and bring the balance back to make the sword livelier.

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is the latest picture from Michael.

The fittings have been aged and look really good to me. I also like the new pommel with the more pronounced flat. The only real change from this picture is that the distance between the pommel and guard is going to get a little bit larger. Though I do not have a final answer on that yet.

Scott

Attachment: 80.05 KB
PC230074.jpg

Attachment: 58.59 KB
PC230075.jpg

Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

wow it looks absolutely gorgeous and flawless i hope you'll do us a little review when it's finished Big Grin
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That guard and pommel together look great! I like the new pommel much better and I have to say I think it looks better with a bit more distance between the guard and pommel too. Will probably help the balance with such a large blade as well. Either way, it's looking awfully nice!
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
wow it looks absolutely gorgeous and flawless i hope you'll do us a little review when it's finished Big Grin

I certainly will post a mini review to the best of my abilities Etienne. I will not be able to say how it cuts until it thaws out aroud here though!

Tim Lison wrote:
That guard and pommel together look great! I like the new pommel much better and I have to say I think it looks better with a bit more distance between the guard and pommel too. Will probably help the balance with such a large blade as well. Either way, it's looking awfully nice!

I was hoping people would like the look. I really wanted to go with something different for the fittings with this sword and I am very happy with the results. Michael is bumping the distance from 3-1/4" to 4" which will give me a little breathing room on the grip. Michael has said that this is a lively blade especially with the new pommel and I believe him after having held the bare blade. It seemed light as a feather to me.

Thank you for the compliment Tim and thank you Michael for crafting such an awesome sword.

Scott

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is my honor to introduce dheirfiúr mór to everyone. Everyone, dheirfiúr mór! Big Grin

Brian Boll

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hey Scott, nice sword and nice name for it...

but just a little friendly advice :

"deirfiúr mhór" would be "big sister" in the nominative singular (you are going for Modern Irish are you not ?)

just sayin Wink
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No matter how it should be called, the sword's tip looks downright brutal Eek!

Looks great, probably feels even better in hand.
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

you said it was light as a feather but it looks like a monster power cutter Eek!
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian Boll wrote:
hey Scott, nice sword and nice name for it...

but just a little friendly advice :

"deirfiúr mhór" would be "big sister" in the nominative singular (you are going for Modern Irish are you not ?)

just sayin Wink

I am going for modern Irish Brian. The name comes from the fact that this was the big sister of the blade I wanted it based on. When I looked for an English to Irish translation of big sister this is what I got. So there it is.

Bartek Strojek wrote:
No matter how it should be called, the sword's tip looks downright brutal

Looks great, probably feels even better in hand.

The tip is brutal looking Bartek. As for how it feels in hand. I have only had it for 3 hours so give me some time. Though I do have to say this, I love it!

Etienne Hamel wrote:
you said it was light as a feather but it looks like a monster power cutter

The balance feels even better. It is hard to believe that the sword weighs 3.2 lbs. It does not feel like it does I can tell you that. I cannot wait to cut with it once the weather clears up enough to do so around here.

Here are the stats as provided by Michael:
Blade length 31.5"
Blade width at guard 2.25"
Weight 3lb. 2 oz.
Balancing point 5.5"
Point of rotation 24.5"
Point of percussion 23.5"

I will get the overall length when I have a chance.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Scott

Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks really nice! I like the spiral grip. It seems to really suit the pommel and guard combo. I'm sure this sword will cut like a beast! Great stuff, congrats on a new beauty!!!!!!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sword turned out very well. It has the typical medieval austerity with just a few touches added to it. I bet it cuts with a lot of authority.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Scott, very unique look and it reminds me of the Tritonia pushed to an even more cutting specialized blade.

There seems to be little or no profile taper but this might in part be the angle it was photographed: How wide is the blade just before it turns into a " point " ( An inch or two from the point, just curious ).

I assume a fair bit of distal taper otherwise the balance wouldn't be as good as it has.

These very broad spatulate points may not be the greatest for a thrust but the last two inches of blade should give brutal tip cuts as the point would be describing a long draw cut.

What attracted you to this extreme kind of type XIIIb ? Well I like extreme designs myself as you probably know. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud Cool

The aesthetics of the blade are so different that it takes some getting used to but this isn't a criticism just an observation. Big Grin Cool

Michael sure did a great job and I guess made a special effort to get it to you before Christmas. Cool

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 25 Dec, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Looks really nice! I like the spiral grip. It seems to really suit the pommel and guard combo. I'm sure this sword will cut like a beast! Great stuff, congrats on a new beauty!!!!!!

Thank you Tim. As someone else who owns Michael work all I can say is that I am really impressed by this sword. I was flip flopping around on the grip and I like the feel of it on my Albion Vigil so I decided to go with it for this one just to be a little different. I think Michael did a great job of putting this together. The proportions just go together so well and it feels great in the hand. It definitely has a blade presence to it! I know I cannot wait to be able to get outside and cut with her. I will definitely be bringing it to any get together we can arrange for the upcoming year.

Roger Hooper wrote:
That sword turned out very well. It has the typical medieval austerity with just a few touches added to it. I bet it cuts with a lot of authority.

I agree with you about how well it turned out Roger. Michael is a really good smith who is just at the beginning of what I am going to say is going to be a truly great career. I would get on his list fast, before Tim, Jean, and I monopolize it! Laughing Out Loud No really, talking with Michael yesterday when I picked it up from him he was not sure how many projects Tim has in mind and I know that Jean has number 2 already in the works.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Congratulations Scott, very unique look and it reminds me of the Tritonia pushed to an even more cutting specialized blade.

There seems to be little or no profile taper but this might in part be the angle it was photographed: How wide is the blade just before it turns into a " point " ( An inch or two from the point, just curious ).

I assume a fair bit of distal taper otherwise the balance wouldn't be as good as it has.

These very broad spatulate points may not be the greatest for a thrust but the last two inches of blade should give brutal tip cuts as the point would be describing a long draw cut.

What attracted you to this extreme kind of type XIIIb ? Well I like extreme designs myself as you probably know.

The aesthetics of the blade are so different that it takes some getting used to but this isn't a criticism just an observation.

Michael sure did a great job and I guess made a special effort to get it to you before Christmas.

Thank you to you as well Jean. That is exactly what I was looking for in the sword, a cutting machine as I told Michael.

You are correct about the lack of profile taper and it is in fact made up for with distal taper. Which Michael carried out very well. I do not have the measurement but I will get that as well as an overall length hopefully later today. We have little kidds coming over so I have it put away for now so no one gets hurt. This thing is wicked sharp! Eek!

I cannot wait to test how well this cuts especially at the tip. Holding it I can only say that I would guess that only the most screwed attempt at a cut will fail.

I blame you for wanting something like this. It is in part inspired by your RavenWolf and in Part by Patrick Kelly's Big Johnsson. I wanted to be able to add my own extreme sword to the pantheon here and there is just something about cutters that speak to a certain primal side of my nature. This word definitely answers this need for me. I will probably not go with something this extreme again even though I am looking at designs for a Type XIII based on Records XIIIa.14.

As for the design. I wanted something truly unique that is not offered anywhere on the market today. Michael without a doubt created that with this piece. As the design came together I kept looking at it and thinking to myself how will this look? The pieces just fall together so nicely and as I michael and I talked about on a narrower blade the guard and pommel would just not look right.

I would like to thank Michael for getting this together for me in time for Christmas. He had done the blad much earlier so it was done. The main thing he worked on in the last wekk and a half was the aging of the blade and the hilting. The nice thing for myself is that while Michael's shop is a four hour drive from my house his parents only live an hour away and since he was going to be there for Christmas it just worked out.

Merry Christmas to all,
Scott

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 25 Dec, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott, that's a very unique looking piece. You said you wanted something not commonly available and I think you're going to get it. Looks like a big honkin' man sword. Wink

Love the hilt!
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 25 Dec, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Scott, that's a very unique looking piece. You said you wanted something not commonly available and I think you're going to get it. Looks like a big honkin' man sword. Wink

Love the hilt!

Indeed it is Patrick. I definitely is not something common and the best part is that I already have it. It was a very nice Christmas present indeed. Thank you for the compliment Patrick. It is definitely a big honkin' man sword. Which I know you like!

Merry Christmas,
Scott

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 25 Dec, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:

I blame you for wanting something like this. It is in part inspired by your RavenWolf and in Part by Patrick Kelly's Big Johnsson. I wanted to be able to add my own extreme sword to the pantheon here and there is just something about cutters that speak to a certain primal side of my nature. This word definitely answers this need for me. I will probably not go with something this extreme again even though I am looking at designs for a Type XIII based on Records XIIIa.14.

Scott

Well, thanks, glad to take half the credit, or blame, for it Razz Or maybe it should be a third for me, a third for Patrick and a third for you. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Scott ( and everyone else also ).

Cheers.
Jean

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > XIIIb in progress by Michael Pikula. Finished!
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: