Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > XIIIb in progress by Michael Pikula. Finished! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sat 26 Dec, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:

I blame you for wanting something like this. It is in part inspired by your RavenWolf and in Part by Patrick Kelly's Big Johnsson. I wanted to be able to add my own extreme sword to the pantheon here and there is just something about cutters that speak to a certain primal side of my nature. This word definitely answers this need for me. I will probably not go with something this extreme again even though I am looking at designs for a Type XIII based on Records XIIIa.14.

Scott

Well, thanks, glad to take half the credit, or blame, for it Razz Or maybe it should be a third for me, a third for Patrick and a third for you. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Scott ( and everyone else also ).

Cheers.
Jean

Jean,

Not a problem at all. I have the measurements you asked for and have a question in turn of you. I do not remember seeing the width of RavenWolf's blade at the guard and also close to the tip. Would it be possible to post these again even if they have not already been posted?

Overall length: 38-7/8"
Blade width 2" from tip: 2-1/16"
blade width 1" from tip: 1-3/4"

Looking at it edge on though it looks like a steak knife it is so thin with just ever so much of a lenticular cross section to it. You have to run you figure over it to feel it because it is so subtle.

Regards,
Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 26 Dec, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott: The RavenWolf is 3" wide at the guard and 1 1/2" wide 5" from the point.

The distal taper is quite extreme as the blade is 3/8" at the guard and less than 1/8" near the point ( would need calipers to be more precise about this: The forte of the blade is very stiff but the foible has a great deal of flexibility.

I could say that near the point the blade is close to the Tritonia in thickness.

The RavenWolf feels like a blade half of what the scales say it is and in spite of the weight feels nimble.

Hard to say what Oakeshott type it might correspond to ? With the taper one could call it a Type XII rather than a Type X, because of the very wide blade at the guard I also sort of think of it as a giant Type XIV.

I haven't really cut with it but just hitting a piece of thick plywood with light wrist powered cut it feels like two different swords if I use the blade near the last few inches of tip or closer to mid blade or even closer to the guard: Close to the guard( 12" to 24 " ) it hits/feels like an axe, near the tip is fast and more like a scalpel. So fast precision cuts with the tip but heavy crushing blows with the forte. I expect that the forte would be difficult to displace while the tip's flexibility could be used to slip out of the bind. ( I find that flexibility in the foible permits subtle disengagements as the bending blade becomes an advantage if one knows and has the skill to make use of it.

Oh, don't know if this makes any difference quality wise but this sword " SINGS " when taken out of the scabbard and on impacts almost like a " Hollywood " cliché of a singling sword when the hero's sword rings at every blow falling faster and faster as the bad guy gets overwhelmed at the end of a dramatic sword fighting scene. Wink Sort of Errol Flynn in " The Adventures of Robin Hood ". Happy Laughing Out Loud

Link to the maker for those who haven't seen this sword: http://www.ollinsworddesign.com/osd-custom-RW.html

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 27 Dec, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the information Jean. I would really like to arrange a get together someday to see some of your pieces. Especially RavenWolf! I have to agree with your assessment about blade typology for it. It definitely does not fit neatly into anyone but looks to me like either a XII or a XIV on steroids!

Scott

Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michaels work is top notch! Anyone would be proud to call that sword their own. I got to play with a bunch of his work at my Hammer-In last year. Can't wait to see more of his stuff up close. Not only does his stuff look pretty, but they are made to be work-horses. He took a multibar pattern welded viking sword and chopped 2x4's and buckets like they weren't even there. Even the most seasoned of makers were impressed!
Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Stagmer wrote:
Michaels work is top notch! Anyone would be proud to call that sword their own. I got to play with a bunch of his work at my Hammer-In last year. Can't wait to see more of his stuff up close. Not only does his stuff look pretty, but they are made to be work-horses. He took a multibar pattern welded viking sword and chopped 2x4's and buckets like they weren't even there. Even the most seasoned of makers were impressed!

I agree 100% and have to say that this is the center piece of my collection without a doubt. At least until I get something else from Michael that is! I know when I first saw the blade after heat treating Michael told me that he had hit a piece of metal edge on before putting the final edge on it. He said that it cut nicely into it. The funny thing, he had a hard time showing me where the blade hit and at that you could hardly see any clue what he had done with it. I know I am looking forward to cutting with this beauty once the weather clears up here some.

Scott

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For some reason my Photobucket account is starting to lose pictures. Might be time to look into a new hosting site. Here are a couple of pictures of my XIIIb so people have an idea of what I am talking about.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > XIIIb in progress by Michael Pikula. Finished!
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: