Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

XIIIb in progress by Michael Pikula. Finished!
After seeing Tim's great dagger and receiving new pictures of my sword blade I asked Michael if it was ok to start this thread. As some will remember a while ago I asked you your feelings on what sword to have made next http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ight=xiiib.

Michael has the blade pretty much finished and I will be posting those pictures as soon as I am a little more prepared. :cry: Michael will also be posting some in progress pictures as he works on the hilt components for the blade.

Scott

Last edited by Scott Kowalski on Fri 25 Dec, 2009 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Ok, now that I am better prepared here are the first pictures.

Michael's drawing of the sword:

The blade after heat treat and before any other work:

The blade being aged:

The blade after aging:
This one should be a beast when it's done. The type W pommel is a nice type, along with a XIIIb it should be really cool! Can't wait to see some finished pics!!!!
Tim Lison wrote:
This one should be a beast when it's done. The type W pommel is a nice type, along with a XIIIb it should be really cool! Can't wait to see some finished pics!!!!

Neither can I Tim. Michael says this thing should be a wicked cutter which is what I wanted with this sword. The blade felt pretty lively when I held just the bare blade and I can only imagine what it will be like when completed.

I really think we should try and organize a Chicago area get together for next year. I would really like to get a look at some of your blades. Maybe something we can try and put together in Off Topic. I know we have a few people in the greater Chicago area here on myArmoury.
Really nice to see a XIIIb coming together. That was one of my preferred types. The type W pommel you is a favourite of you three (Scott, Tim, Michael), eh?
:eek: :eek: :eek:

After you get that thing, you're all set for your new career as an executioner.
Scott (or anyone),

Do you know what Michael put on the blade to age it? I like how it turned out.

A fuller slightly longer and wider? For a XIIIb it is earned in weight.
It would be still in the type. The XIII are authoritarian swords much, my preferred ones.
Just my two cents.
Ciao
Maurizio
Keith,
I was thinking more like a PBI buster myself. Though I am sure this sword would work pretty well as an executioner's sword! :cool:

Stephen,
I think I will let Michael weigh in on this one. I am unsure if it is a process that he came up with and is unique. I would rather not give away something. Though I can say that this is the first time that Michael has tried this process and he pretty much nailed what I was looking for with this sword. A well used blade carried by an experienced campaigner. What he is trying to make it look like was a sword that has seen some hard fought battles and that was not always cared for properly after the battle due to various circumstances.

Scott
It looks really good, Scott -

We need more XIIIb's in circulation - more XIII's as well

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Thu 17 Dec, 2009 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:
A fuller slightly longer and wider? For a XIIIb it is earned in weight.
It would be still in the type. The XIII are authoritarian swords much, my preferred ones.
Just my two cents.
Ciao
Maurizio

You are correct Maurizio. In most XIIIb's the fuller is longer and wider. The one that this is based on though has a narrow and short fuller.

Michael bumped up the overall width and over a 1/4"(6mm roughly) as well as a little longer. Another XIIIa that I really like has a fuller that is similar in proportion to the blade.

I cannot agree with you more about Type XIII's of all three types.

Regards,
Scott
the photo appears on the hexagonal fort. Lenticular rest. Right?
looking forward to the end of work. Excellent choice. :)
Ciao
Maurizio
Roger Hooper wrote:
It looks really good, Scott -

We need more XIIIb's in circulation - more XIII's as well

I agree whole heartedly with you Roger. There are just not enough of either type available. Down the road I hope to rectify this at least in my collection by adding a XIII which would then give me on of all three of the type since I already have a XIIIa in my collection. I guess I just really love the brutal aspect of the type.
Thanks for all the interest in the progress in this project!

My aging process is similar to the process in the aging article here on myArmoury, but I used a strong acid, lemon water, and salt as my tools. I feel it created a more subtle effect and eats away at the surface a bit more, and makes it really hard to get a good picture of, but when moved around in the light it really highlights the texture and "used" feel that Scott and I were shooting for.
Scott Kowalski wrote:
Tim Lison wrote:

Neither can I Tim. Michael says this thing should be a wicked cutter which is what I wanted with this sword. The blade felt pretty lively when I held just the bare blade and I can only imagine what it will be like when completed.

I really think we should try and organize a Chicago area get together for next year. I would really like to get a look at some of your blades. Maybe something we can try and put together in Off Topic. I know we have a few people in the greater Chicago area here on myArmoury.

I'd love to do some kind of get together here in Chicago. Maybe when it's a bit warmer...? You'll have to bring this XIIIb!
Michael Pikula wrote:

My aging process is similar to the process in the aging article here on myArmoury, but I used a strong acid, lemon water, and salt as my tools. I feel it created a more subtle effect and eats away at the surface a bit more, and makes it really hard to get a good picture of, but when moved around in the light it really highlights the texture and "used" feel that Scott and I were shooting for.

Michael,

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind giving me a PM with more details, such as what kind of acid, and how much of each ingredient, please? I have a few knives and a spearhead which I would love to age the same way your sword did.

If you'd rather not divulge a trade secret, then I understand and won't pester you about it.

Thanks.
Tim Lison wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:
Tim Lison wrote:

I'd love to do some kind of get together here in Chicago. Maybe when it's a bit warmer...? You'll have to bring this XIIIb!

Definitely when it gets warmer around here. I will be bringing the XIIIb as long as you bring the sword Michael made you among others.
Stephen Renico wrote:
Michael Pikula wrote:

Michael,

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind giving me a PM with more details, such as what kind of acid, and how much of each ingredient, please? I have a few knives and a spearhead which I would love to age the same way your sword did.

If you'd rather not divulge a trade secret, then I understand and won't pester you about it.

Thanks.

An ancient method of falsification involves burying in manure for some time (manure and animal urine), maybe you could derive some indications on the best acids to imitate such natural pickle ..
Truth be told I don't have a "set" way of doing aging, it is mostly doing it by feel and using more of an loose artist touch then anything else.

I don't have any secrets to keep. I used Ferric Chloride mixed with water 50/50, salt from the kitchen, and well water which has a pH of about 8.6 so I added about half a lemon to drop the pH. Then I wet the blade with the lemon water to try breaking the surface tension, added salt, then with some bundled string soak in FeCl I stamped the blade with random blotches of acid smeared it around, and reapplied some salt, and let it sit for random lengths of time from 3 hours to 30 minutes. I scrubbed the surface with a scotch-brite pad to see the progress, and repeat as needed until I got the effect that I liked.

Different steels age different ways, so your effect may very well be different. Read through this article (http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_antique.html) as a guide line and play with it. Chances are you will end up with something that looks good.
Michael,
I am guessing that because of the beautiful weather we have been experiencing in the area that you have not been able to get anymore pictures of the blade. That and the fact that it sounds as if it is hard to get any pictures that will do it justice. I am looking forwards to seeing what you do with the fittings for the sword.

I would also like to add this. If anyone is thinking of having a sword, dagger, or polearm made I cannot recommend Michael enough. He is very easy to work with and understands not only what he is doing but does his best to understand what the customer wants. I know that this will not be the only project that I have Michael make for me. I already have a couple in mind that I will be speaking with him about. I also know that I am not the only one that is either planning on having him make them another piece or have already either contacted him about one or already received their second.

Scott
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: