Imagine finding gold sword parts....
I ran across an article discussing the "Staffordshire Hoard" and did a bit more internet research. Amazing! There have been a couple of posts refering to it in the past but I thought it would be worth it to post some details again for those who are not aware.

Earlier this year an amateur metal detectorist found the largest Byzantine hoard of gold sword and armour components (1500 pieces !!) in an english field. It contains mostly gold pieces, some with gorgeous garnet inlay work. It is hailed as one of the most important and astonishing finds from that period. I have not seen such beatiful sword work before, especially from so long ago. Too bad an entire sword was not part of the find, but there likely is a reason for it...

Here's a good site with explanation and many high quality photos (in the "artefacts" section):

http://www.staffordshirehoard.org.uk/about/

The whole hoard has been evaluated at more the 3.5 million British pounds. Ant the finder will likely get half. Here are some pommel and hilt examples:

Attachment: 73.07 KB
StaffordshireHoard1.jpg

Attachment: 84.53 KB
StaffordshireHoard2.jpg

Isn't that flat-topped pyramid supposedly used to secure scabbard/peace-ties? I've never seen a pommel shaped like that anyway.

Johan Schubert Moen
Imagine
Hi Jan

The finds would be better described as Anglian or even Anglo-Saxon rather then Byzantine.

The upper photo is more likely a pommel component and the bottom pyramid are as much as Johan explains.

best
Dave
Thanks Johan and David.

In the description titles on the web site they describe the pyramid-looking pieces as "Sword pyramid mounts" and "sword pyramid fittings", as opposed to "Scabbard boss" and "Milefiori Stud" which have a protrusion on the bottom. So I assumed the pyramid objects are parts of the actual sword, not a scabbard. Here's a photo of a pommel that looks more like what one would expect from that time. I am nto sure what the pyramid pieces are if they truly come from a sword and not a scabbard, as you say.

Attachment: 85.63 KB
StaffordshireHoard3.jpg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: