Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ridley does Robinhood or "Maximus meets the Sheriff" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 17 Dec, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Eagle of the Ninth sounds promising:

Macdonald [dir., The Last King of Scotland] intends the film to be historically authentic, but as little is certain about the tribes that the Romans encountered—they were probably Celts, but some may have been Picts—he has made concessions. For example, the tribespeople will speak Gaelic, even though the language probably did not enter widespread use in the region until the fifth century AD;[4] Pictish is the more likely language to have been spoken at the time.[2] "It's the best we can do," Macdonald said, "All you can do is build on a few clues and trust your own instincts. That way, no one can tell you you were wrong."[4] Only 1% of Scots speak Gaelic, limiting the talent pool to just 60,000 people; by August 2009, several Gaelic-speaking boys had been auditioned without success[2] for the role of "the young tribal hero of the movie",[4] so Macdonald held open auditions in Glasgow for the role. The character is between nine and twelve years old and known as "seal boy",[2]. The role of Seal Boy was eventually won by a boy from Belfast who had been educated in Irish Gaelic, not unlike Scottish Gaelic. The boy from Newbarnsley, Belfast is Thomas Henry in his first film role, aged 9, and he plays a member of a tribe that the novel calls the "seal people"; Macdonald "has his own [interpretation]" of the tribe:[4]

"They were a more indigenous folk than the Celts, who were from further south ... They were probably small and dark, like the Inuit, living off seals and dressed in sealskins. We are going to create a culture about which no one knows much, but which we will make as convincing as possible. We are basing it on clues gained from places like Skara Brae and the Tomb of the Eagles in Orkney, so that we will have them worshipping pagan symbols, like the seal and the eagle.

The reason they have seized the emblem of the Roman eagle from the legion is because to them it as [sic] a sacred symbol."

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Eric Hejdström

PostPosted: Thu 17 Dec, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
Off tack a little, but talking of Ridley Scott and authentic films, check out his first? film 'The Duelists' Small sword fights 2 seconds long - not very Hollywood but totally believable.

Tod

An amazing movie and from experience with sabre sparring it feels very real. Very seldom our bouts were more then a few seconds long. Though we didn't fight to the death wich sharp swords... But in general swordfights are much quicker than movies make belive.

JE Sarge wrote:
I see that they changed the name from 'Nottingham' to 'Robin Hood'...oh well...

Ridley Scott makes decent films; I've became a fan of his over the years - ever since 'Bladerunner'.

Historically-accurate? Of course not. Films very seldome are, so I never expect it. It's sure to be entertaining at the least.

Is there even a "historically accurate" movie? I've never heard of one. That does not mean I can't enjoy a good movie. History is history, and movies are entertainment...
Doug Lester

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jan, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad, "The Kingdom of God" is a great movie, especially the director's cut, but historically it's non-sense. The character of Godfrey was 100% ficticious. Balian's father was named Baldwin and Liam Nelson should have portrayed him (Balian, not his father). Balian was Baldwin IV's (Baldwin the Leper) step-father. He was no one's illigitamate son. He supported Baldwin the IV and V (the boy) but he supported his step-daughter, Isabella, against Sybilla as queen of Jerulalem who, by the way, did love her husband, Guy. (Nope, no riding off into the sunset, Sybilla died shortly after the fall of Jersulem)

There were several other things historically wrong too but there was also a lot accurate. Like Balian threating to burn Jerusalem if Saladin entered the city by force. Evidently the real Guy was a bit of a twit and they got the flavor of the character Reynald pretty much right as they did the charcter of Saladin. If anything the real Reynald was probably worse than portayed.

There were some half trueths too, like Saladin letting the Christians go. They were allowed to go, or remain unmolested, only after their ransom was paid. If the ransom wasn't paid the person was sold into slavery.

Remember, the purpose of the film was to entertain, not to educate.
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What, no tights?

...But seriously, it will probaby be a decent movie, though Russel Crowe wouldn't have been my first choice to play Robin Hood. He's not a terrible actor or anything but... well, he doesn't really have that whole "light-hearted trickster" demeanor I associate with the character.

In fact, the trailer looks kinda dark over-all. Does anyone else remember a time when Robin Hood and his merry men were, you know, merry? I know medieaval times weren't all roses and strawberries, but I don't think a bit of sunlight on occcasion and perhaps a few colors more vibrant then "mud" would be too much to ask.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Doug Lester wrote:
Chad, "The Kingdom of God" is a great movie, especially the director's cut, but historically it's non-sense.
Remember, the purpose of the film was to entertain, not to educate.

Not sure why this post is addressed to me as my only involvement int he thread to this point has been advice to use the Search function. Happy

This thread isn't about Kingdom of Heaven (hence my advice to use the Search function). If you want to discuss that film, please use an old thread for that. Thanks!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anders Backlund wrote:
What, no tights?

...But seriously, it will probaby be a decent movie, though Russel Crowe wouldn't have been my first choice to play Robin Hood. He's not a terrible actor or anything but... well, he doesn't really have that whole "light-hearted trickster" demeanor I associate with the character.

In fact, the trailer looks kinda dark over-all. Does anyone else remember a time when Robin Hood and his merry men were, you know, merry? I know medieaval times weren't all roses and strawberries, but I don't think a bit of sunlight on occcasion and perhaps a few colors more vibrant then "mud" would be too much to ask.

As with all historical works, the film says far more about the early 21st Century than it does about the middle ages.
Keith L. Rogers

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

The Adventures of Robin Hood with Richard Greene - I loved that show when I was a kid.

Remember the title song?

Robin Hood, Robin Hood
Riding through the glen.
Robin Hood, Robin Hood
With his band of men.

Arrrrgh - now I have the 'Dennis Moore' song stuck in my head!
'Stand and deliver!'
'Hand over all your lupins'

I also liked Robin and Marian. His line for admitting infidelity was a corker:
'They all looked like you.'

-klr
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I apologize, I wasn't aware that there was already a topic on here about this film. Thanks Michael! You guys are quick!

It's my guess that Ridley Scott will concentrate more on the LEGEND behind Robin Hood as opposed to being historically accurate to the place and period - this may fall upon the screenwriter(s). The trailer felt very "Kingdom of Heaven-ish" to me which brought to mind a very serious story - that's funny because I too have also associated Robin Hood as being merry as someone pointed out earlier. With that in mind, I wonder if this will be an R-rated film?

I think casting Russell Crowe as Robin Hood is like casting Gary Oldman as Sirius Black: I love the actor, but he doesn't fit the character (heck, I could say the same about Kevin Costner as Robin Hood!). Then again, Russell Crowe is Ridley Scott's right-hand man, like Johnny Depp and Tim Burton. So who would I pick to play a "serious" Robin Hood? I'm sorta thinking Clive Owen. Or how about Christian Bale?

I trust that Sir Ridley won't let this film fall into the trap that Prince of Thieves did - of audiences being far more entertained by the antagonist than the hero. "That's it! Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans. No more merciful beheadings. And call off Christmas!!" Still one of my all-time favorite movie lines!

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: crowe         Reply with quote

I'm with Anders on this one. I just can't imagine Russell Crowe with his hands on his hips, ā la Errol Flynn, grinning ear to ear from the battlements, before leaping into the moat, or a convenient wagon filled with hay. So it follows that if this is to be a dark Robin, then the Sheriff will need to be fascist-evil, so there go the funny one-liners....and Richard the Lion Heart won't speak a word of english, will have a distinct dislike for even being there, and will be hankering to get back to Aquitaine as fast as possible. Who knows, it might be more historical than expected from a Hollywood production??
I enjoyed Crowe's work in Gladiator, and even more so in Master&Commander, but Robin the Hooded man ? I think Sir Ridley has got his work cut out for him this time around. Crowe's tortured demeanor might suit a shell shocked Robin with post traumatic stress disorder, but that sure ain't gonn be merry !!!

Bon coeur et bon bras
Ed T.

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jan, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: crowe         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
I'm with Anders on this one. I just can't imagine Russell Crowe with his hands on his hips, ā la Errol Flynn, grinning ear to ear from the battlements, before leaping into the moat, or a convenient wagon filled with hay...
I disagree. Crowe captured the impish side of Captain Aubrey quite well, I thought. Who can forget the "the lesser of two weevils" scene? Laughing Out Loud
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jan, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

I'm actually looking forward to this film. It stars two of my favorite actors, Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett. Eleanor of Aquitaine and William Marshall will show up. I wonder how Richard I will be handled? He usually is shown as a nice guy and a great king, which doesn't reflect the historical record. It would be fun if he is portrayed as a villain.

This is badly off topic, but I'm curious whether you've read any of John Gillingham's monographs of Richard.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jan, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

I'm actually looking forward to this film. It stars two of my favorite actors, Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett. Eleanor of Aquitaine and William Marshall will show up. I wonder how Richard I will be handled? He usually is shown as a nice guy and a great king, which doesn't reflect the historical record. It would be fun if he is portrayed as a villain.

This is badly off topic, but I'm curious whether you've read any of John Gillingham's monographs of Richard.

No I haven't read Gillingham. I was basing my evaluation of Richard I on Thomas B. Costain's, The Conquering Family. Costain's view of Richard - good knight, bad king.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jan, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The reason I ask is that the dominant theme in 20th century historiography on Richard was to portray him in an unflattering light. Often, though not always, this was coupled with revisionist historiography that sought to rehabilitate the reputation of John, typically by pointing to the increase in administrative documents in his reign as evidence for his capacity as a king. Gillingham is unabashedly pro-Ricardian, but he also demonstrates that much of the criticism of Richard's kingship comes from modern perceptions and expectations of what "good kingship" entails, which were often divorced from the medieval reality of what attributes made for a good king. He also takes the novel approach of bringing in Muslim sources to comment on Richard's character, since they were not embroiled in Western European politics and thus can provide a less-biased source of information in some respects.

More recent scholarship in general tends to emphasize the fact that too much credence and importance has been placed upon John as an administrator, which is not well-founded, and ignores elements of his personal character and how untrustworthy he was as a king. By contrast, Richard's administration, while certainly not outstanding, does not appear to be significantly worse than John's, and his capacity as a king was heightened by the fact that he was a good knight. In fact, I'd argue that a significant aspect of medieval kingship, at least in the 12th century, is that, to a degree, being a good knight meant that you were a good king.
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jan, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agreed with Craig - you really need to read Gillingham's work on Richard I. Part of the problem in evaluating Richard as a bad king has been to view him as "King of England", rather than lord of the Angevin "empire": England, Ireland, Normandy, Anjou, Poitou, Aquitaine, etc., wherein the cultural and political center of his realm was really in France; England simply provided the greatest title. There is a great deal more to it, and I highly recommend you look into it - Richard was an extremely complex figure.
Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jan, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Historical fashions are changeable, and the reputations of kings like Richard I, Henry V, and Richard III swing from one side to the other. And, as Craig said, what we think of as good qualities for a king are not the same ones that people around 1200 would choose. Also, ask a contemporary baron, wool merchant, abbot, peasant, or outlaw in Sherwood Forest, and I bet you would get quite a spectrum of opinions on Richard.

Contemporary views aside, I don't think Richard was good for England. He spent very little time there and regarded it mainly as a milk cow to give him money for the rest of the Angevin Empire, the Crusade, and for the ransom to free him from Leopold of Austria. Of course that is a modernist viewpoint.
Chris Arrington

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jan, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

During the holidays, I watched an old film I had never seen before. The "Lion in Winter". While I realize that the events within the movie were fictional, the characters and situations were not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_in_Winter_(1968_film)

It certainly had an interesting take on both Richard and John that I had never heard before. Especially the illict affair between Richard and Phillip. Was there any truth or even a hint of truth to that part of the movie?

Its interesting that Richard has become such a symbol of "England" today, but as stated before in the thread had little to do with his English lands (except to use the income from those lands), and its my understanding that he didn't even speak English, prefering French. Of course my understanding may be very flawed.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jan, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All Anglo-Norman nobility in England spoke French.
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jan, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Arrington wrote:

Its interesting that Richard has become such a symbol of "England" today, but as stated before in the thread had little to do with his English lands (except to use the income from those lands), and its my understanding that he didn't even speak English, prefering French. Of course my understanding may be very flawed.

I think that is largely because of him being overly romanticised by Nationalistic Victorian historians who had probably read too much Walter Scott for their own good. His mother, Eleanor of Aquitaine, was French, His Paternal grandfather was a French nobleman, and his paternal grandmother, Matilda, was the granddaughter of William the Conqueror, he had virtually no English blood and he spent hardly anytime in England as prince or king. He therefore spoke no English and had no reason to speak it since it was the language of the peasantry anyway.
Doug Lester

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jan, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad, my bad. I got confused through a link to another thread (I think) that was linked to off this thread. I'm not even sure that you were the Chad that I was responding to. Someone by the name of Chad on that thread asked an opinion of the accuracy of "The Kingdom of God". I do beg your pardon; old men confuse so easily.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Arrington wrote:

It certainly had an interesting take on both Richard and John that I had never heard before. Especially the illict affair between Richard and Phillip. Was there any truth or even a hint of truth to that part of the movie?

I haven't seen the film, but I'm assuming it alleges that Richard and Philip were in a homosexual relationship. This was a popular view in 20th century historiography, but as I understand, the evidence for it is pretty thin on the ground, and relies on particular interpretations of a few select passages from chroniclers and historians. One such passage that is often cited mentions that Richard and Philip slept in the same bed together. But, as John Gillingham points out, this was fairly common in the 12th century and isn't indicative of homosexual activities.

I can't remember the other passages cited off-hand, but none of them is a smoking gun. A rather devastating criticism of the argument is that despite the hostility to Richard from various sources, none of them accuse him of committing a sin against nature, or some other phrase used to refer to sodomy. Additionally, it is known that Richard had a bastard son (I believe he was named Philip) and one hostile writer even accused Richard of raping women in the Languedoc regions of the Angevin realm. Even if there was a good case that Richard had sexual relations with other men, at best we could say that he was bisexual- not that our modern understandings of sexual identity match those of medieval people, but that's another story.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ridley does Robinhood or "Maximus meets the Sheriff"
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: