Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Viking Movie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anders Backlund wrote:

Basically, it would be nice to get a viking movie with the same high standard of accuracy as, shall we say, Gladiator or Troy? I don't think that's too much to ask.

Troy had "high standart of accuracy"??? Where? Because if it did I somehow have managed to miss it totally Happy About only good thing to be said about Troy is that some of the fight scenes where ok, and Odisseus was good. Everything else was a bunch of bull-crap, although I did laughed quite a bit at the scene stolen nearly 100% from Lord of the RIngs movie where "bad guys" are breaking down the doors and Legolas (Parid) starts firing his bow like machine gun, mowing down enemies really fast Happy
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Artis Aboltins wrote:
Troy had "high standart of accuracy"??? Where?

We're talking about Hollywood. Everything is relative. And at least they got the general look somewhat in the right direction.

All I'm saying is, I'd like to see a movie with vikings who do not wear plate armor and helmets from 300 years in the future, or dress in animal skins, sport mohawks and wield hand-and-a-half swords, or generally look like something out of a Frank Frazetta painting.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin Long waiting for that one, it's yule times so here is a true saga Cool
Hem till Midgård, a brutal...comedy about viking age,
it's only in swedish but someone have translate the first episode of it in youtube.

part 1 of 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt2couJMURA

part 2 of 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNk-rM_sfL0

part 3 of 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4V5xEax_PA

part 4 of 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCSBCBa56As

God Jul guys!!

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A film featuring vikings as more than two-dimensional characters i.e. portrayed as actual people, would also be appreciated
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:
E.B. Erickson wrote:
Speaking of Viking flicks, the first one I saw was the one made in 1958, with Ernest Borgnine, Kirk Douglas, and Tony Curtis. It's not bad from a weapon/equipment perspective: not a horned helmet in sight, just nasals and eye protectors (ala Vendel) and your basic conical helmet. Not much mail, lots of leather. Swords were about right, too.

--ElJay

Hi Eljay!

"The Vikings"! One of my favorites! They actually did some research, and it shows. Even the horses are "accurate"!

Yeah, that was good. I saw it when I was a kid and bought the DVD a few years ago. The DVD has some additional materials on the research they did - including reconstruction of the longboat. I recall them commenting how they needed to space the seats and oars further apart to make enough room for modern-sized actors (they concluded that Vikings were tiny - just repeating what was said). Must find that DVD and watch it with my son over the holidays.
David Huggins

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: New Viking Movie         Reply with quote

I guess one potential positive to perhaps come from such a movie project could be for the present generation an awakening of interest in the Viking Age and a knock on effect for re-enactment groups, armourers etc.

Despite the movie tie-in merchandise, there did appear to be a surge of interest of gladiatorial groups after the 'Gladiator' movie,..

best

Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1066: The Battle for Middle Earth is probably the only film I've seen where Vikings are portrayed as people, but given time constraints and the number of characters involved, it's not exactly a "full flesh out".

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the 13th Warrior for entertainment value Viking flick, but the research that went into that film must have taken all of 15 minutes. The weapons and armor are absolutely horrible. Laughing Out Loud
J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: di caprio         Reply with quote

I've seen di caprio do some fine work in the past (blood diamonds comes to mind), but even fine actors like Day-Lewis can pick up some horrible stuff (gangs of New York !!!), but none of that disaster can be layed at the feet of either of those two actors.
I look at this from another angle, I find that the interest provoked by a major box office attraction usually brings new blood to the field of reenactment, or european martial arts ( in the broadest sense), or even LARP and SCA. Now what is attracted will always be a mixed bag, and a mixed blessing, but it can't be denied that these popular cultural events, cinema or festivals, generate interest in our activities ( again, in the broadest sense), and we do get more people to interact with,
Sometimes the interest generated by a major film, with all its' flaws and weaknesses, is the final push that an individual needs to validate his or her participation in a group interested in that particular time frame or historical group.
So, let's hope that Leonardo gets a decent script and Mel can avoid his excessive Brit-Bashing and propensity for self-agrandisement.

Bon coeur et bon bras
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
I love the 13th Warrior for entertainment value Viking flick, but the research that went into that film must have taken all of 15 minutes. The weapons and armor are absolutely horrible. Laughing Out Loud

I agree. Real fun movie.

www.viking-shield.com
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Dec, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anders Backlund wrote:
I'll be honest; I do not expect that much historical accuracy from any Hollywood movie, least of all one dealing with vikings. I just hope they manage to make one where the vikings look, dress and behave somewhat like actual vikings.

Basically, it would be nice to get a viking movie with the same high standard of accuracy as, shall we say, Gladiator or Troy? I don't think that's too much to ask.

Myrick J. Hethington wrote:
Did anyone see" Erik the Viking"?It was meant to be a complete joke but they got some of the equipment right!

I can honestly say that Erik the Viking is easily the best viking movie I've ever seen in terms of production design. But then again, it's not Hollywood - made by the British.

I swear, there is something about vikings that makes Hollywood production designers lose all sense of professionalism, taste and common.

Then again, Beowulf wasn't that bad. (Even if it wasn't strictly viking.) So, I hope they've learned something in later years.

I think Erik the Viking was directed by Terry Gilliam, who is American. Many of the worst directors in Hollywood are actually European.... but the mainstream Hollywood studios lost all sense of professionalism, taste and common decency somewhere around 1980 or so...

The other Beowulf was much better than the Hollywierd Beowulf, probably one of the better Viking films, albiet low-budget and had a few odd casting decisions / accents.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402057/

I have little hope for Mel to make a good film, Leonardo DiCaprio is a very bad casting decision, just as he was in Gangs of New York and The Departed. He must have a very good agent.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Fri 25 Dec, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Leonardo DiCaprio as a viking? Does that sounds funny only to me??? Wink

he is only 1/4 italian, his mother is East German. Rest assured he is mostly aryan ...
Adam S.

PostPosted: Fri 25 Dec, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:
Leonardo DiCaprio as a viking? Does that sounds funny only to me??? Wink

he is only 1/4 italian, his mother is East German. Rest assured he is mostly aryan ...

I think the main reason for the idea of Leo's being a viking as funny isn't his ethnicity, but the fact that he's a scrawny whiner that can't act.

I could be wrong though... Wink
David Khachatryan

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think Leo is a very good actor. One of the best today. Do I think he is a good choice to play a Viking? Absolutely not. There's something very modern about him. His expressions....his voice...just doesn't suit to be in an epic movie. Same with Brad Pitt in Troy. Great actor but not for anything beyond the 20th century.
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darryl Aoki wrote:
Scott S. wrote:
I just hope they get the horns on the helmets right. Happy

You mean with the horns on the inside of the helmets?

"We got 'em on the cheap on what the smithy was calling the 'Olaf the Hairy Commemorative Sale', sir."

Hey, nice Blackadder reference!

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

oh god, historical standards of gladiator and troy? Im not big on trojan-era warfare, but I bet they weren't using back scabbards and wearing black capes around.

and the thing that pissed me off most in gladiator was the opening battle. way to keep in formation Romans! they held the battle line a whole arrow volley before mindlessly charging in! And they all get tattoos when joining the legion now? The funniest thing though, was when Russel crowe, who is an expert at throwing Gladii with his hands bound, walks into his tent after the battle. If you listen closely, you can hear someone state in disbelief "He defeated 4000 barbarians with only 3 legions?" Someone needs a trip back to basic training, a legion has about 4-6000 men in each. The phrase should be "He needs to stop beating up on the barbarians so bad. A 3-1 advantage is overkill. He could at least do without the massive artillery bombardment"

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
T. Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Quarantillo wrote:
A 3-1 advantage is overkill. He could at least do without the massive artillery bombardment"

But he was unleashing hell, remember? Laughing Out Loud
David McElrea

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not wanting to defend "Gladiator" in any way, however...

Nathan wrote:
Quote:
"And they all get tattoos when joining the legion now?"

There is some evidence that some legionaries, at least, did take tattoos, called sphragis in Greek (literally "seal") or, in Latin, stigmata, to mark them out as belonging to a certain commander or division. Slaves could be marked similarly. Soldiers, as far as I know, tended to have the tattoo on one of their hands; slaves might be marked either on the hand or the face. The term sphragis is somewhat flexible, though, and could also refer to branding.
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jan, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

haha, I cracked up when he said "Unleash hell"

and I also really love how I seem to learn something new every time I log on to this site. Even when we are poking fun at lame attempts at recreating history. the stigmata thing being a very good example.

and another thing that really bugs me about Gladiator, is that there are so many morons totally convinced that the Romans conquered the Germans because of it. and possibly even worse, is the manufacturers such as windlass marketing props and copies as real roman historical reproductions, and not what they are, movie props.

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jan, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T. Hamilton wrote:
Nathan Quarantillo wrote:
A 3-1 advantage is overkill. He could at least do without the massive artillery bombardment"

But he was unleashing hell, remember? Laughing Out Loud

I thought Hell was the name of Maximus' dog.

I remember some shots of the dog running toward the German lines with a lot of attitude. I don't think we saw him again.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Viking Movie
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: