Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Excellent post! I love seeing the in process work shots...carvings one of my favorite.
He must have great eyesight and a good steady hand to go with it. The pommel itself is a work of art, I can't wait to see the sword its attached to.
David Etienne wrote:
Hello Kirk,

Thank you for posting these pictures! I don't want to hijack your trade, but I just want to say that Vladimir Cervenka is not only a very talented swordsmith, he's also an extremely kind person and it's a dream to work with him...

David

P.S. By the way, it's your reviews about your swords from Vladimir that decided me to order him a custom sword ;-)

Hi David...

I agree 100%.

Would really like to see that Cervenka sword of yours when it comes in...

I have started on the "relic." I think I have decided on a fragment of biblical text. I might put a drop of martyrs blood on it and maybe a few strands of hair. I am now trying to define the layout for the Greek text. I also need to try and find more information on script forms in the late first century. I found some thin raw hide I had from a previous project that has the texture of parchment. I think it will work fine.

take care

ks

Attachment: 144.64 KB
RelictBeginWeb.jpg

Hi Kirk,

That's a neat idea. Do you know how to write aramaic?

I don't know whether you're trying to recreate a particular type of embedded relic I'm unaware of, if so just ignore me, but something that struck me looking at your pictures is that relics are rarely that neat and tidily round.

If you got a scrap of parchment from somewhere like pergamena and wrote out a passage of text then tore the parchment so you got a fragment with text that went right to the edges you'd have something that was a lot more like a fragment of a gospel.
Hi Kirk,
sorry, I've got no relic to offer, not even the smallest fragment from the Cross, a tooth of mine maybe but I'm far from being a saint ;)
Stephane Rabier wrote:
Hi Kirk,
sorry, I've got no relic to offer, not even the smallest fragment from the Cross, a tooth of mine maybe but I'm far from being a saint ;)

Hi Stephane...

Yeah, I know. I would just use some of my junk, but alas... I'm not a saint either :D

take care

ks
Al Muckart wrote:
Hi Kirk,

That's a neat idea. Do you know how to write aramaic?

I don't know whether you're trying to recreate a particular type of embedded relic I'm unaware of, if so just ignore me, but something that struck me looking at your pictures is that relics are rarely that neat and tidily round.

If you got a scrap of parchment from somewhere like pergamena and wrote out a passage of text then tore the parchment so you got a fragment with text that went right to the edges you'd have something that was a lot more like a fragment of a gospel.

Hey Al...

These are all great suggestions. I decided on Greek because I really like the look of 1st century Greek script. Aramaic seems a bit ancient looking for this particular relict ,although I know it was used in the first century.

I took your suggestion on fraying the edges to make it look more authentic. I also extended the lettering to the edges so that it looks like a fragment of a gospel (or in this case the epistle of Hebrews). The problem was when I frayed and scorched the edges the lettering along the edges was aged away for the most part.

I also have a nice crystal cover cut out and polished. Though it doesn't show in the photo, it has a nice blue inclusion streak at it's center.

take care

ks

Attachment: 142.5 KB
RelictBurnedWeb.jpg

Do you have any plans concerning the recess on the other side of the pommel, or will you leave it blank?
I'm intrigued by the crystal. Can you tell us more about how you did that?
Wow. Some top notch work here. Thanks for sharing. It is always funney how even the smallest details on a piece can inspire me. These pommels are works of art by themselves. I like to refer to pieces like these are relic items. I can't wait to see the finished pieces now.

Love the hand engraving work. I also love his vice with the soft jaws. Just like our shop! This forum is a special place. One can learn so much in so little time.
Roger Hooper wrote:
Do you have any plans concerning the recess on the other side of the pommel, or will you leave it blank?

Hi Roger...

Up until recently I was not sure what to do. I think I am going to get the a German single strike St. Peter coin for the other side. I think that it would fit in well. Especially considering we know that St. Peter could use a sword... at least he was able to "do in" someone's ear... temporarily... "it got better." ;) :D

take care

ks

Attachment: 69.35 KB
m7.jpg

Sean Flynt wrote:
I'm intrigued by the crystal. Can you tell us more about how you did that?

Hi Sean...

I would love to tell you how I did it... Actually it was really simple. I just called a friend who is into lapidary ;)

A couple of years ago, I found a nice flat quartz crystal pendant at a rock shop that had a sky blue cast in the center. I really like the look so I bought it. It just loitered around my office for a few years. It is this pendent I ask my lapidary friend to cut down to size. I did not see how he did it... however I saw other cabochons he was working on. It look like he cut out a square with a diamond cut-off wheel and the ground off the corners on a grinding wheel... then ground the top into a dome shape, then polished the surfaces.

Its shape acts as a sort of magnifying glass which shows the detail of the "relic" better.

I'll try to get some better pictures....

take care

ks
Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:

I'll try to get some better pictures....

take care

ks

Did this project ever get finished? I really like the progress so far.
Hi Myles...

As with most of my projects, I often stop for a while to make sure the design is really want I want before I proceed. I've been known to redo work I have already done if I decide it's not exactly what I want. So now I tend to wait until I am sure.

Currently I have all the parts for the pommel and I am trying to decide if I want a crystal cover on the side with the coin as well as the relict side.

I've attached a picture of the pommel parts. The crystal lens covering shows the blue sheen I mentioned earlier...

oh, and I have a cross too. :D

ks

Attachment: 137.97 KB
RelictArbedoCrossPom.Web.jpg

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
Hi Myles...

As with most of my projects, I often stop for a while to make sure the design is really want I want before I proceed. I've been known to redo work I have already done if I decide it's not exactly what I want. So now I tend to wait until I am sure.

Currently I have all the parts for the pommel and I am trying to decide if I want a crystal cover on the side with the coin as well as the relict side.

I've attached a picture of the pommel parts. The crystal lens covering shows the blue sheen I mentioned earlier...

oh, and I have a cross too. :D

ks
Kirk,

I have to say this is one of the most original ideas from a maker I've seen in a very long time. I wish I had thought of it first! Cervenka's pommel is just plain cool to begin with, and it's going to hold two very cool objects, then covered with a very cool crystal. I can't wait to see it done.

By the way, I think I like it with the crystal on the relic side only. Just my input. Keep us updated! :lol:
Myles Mulkey wrote:

...I can't wait to see it done.

By the way, I think I like it with the crystal on the relic side only. Just my input. Keep us updated! :lol:

Hey Myles...

Sorry I am so late in responding. I have had alot on my plate and have not been able to work much on this project. Also I am waiting to finally settle on what I want to do... I think you are right about the crystal. I plan on keeping the crystal only on the relict side of the pommel.

I am now trying to figure out how to attach the crystal to the pommel.

Oh...

And there is a blade to go with the pommel and guard. :D

take care

ks

Attachment: 143.02 KB
CervenkaRelictArbedoCompone.jpg

What an exciting project! Your DIY stuff is really good Kirk. Please post pics when you get the whole thing put together, I'm sure it will be breathtaking.
Ohhh, that's a beautiful blade!
Very nice! I'm eager to see it finished.
A rather old topic. Any progress on this magnificent sword Kirk?

Vladimir Cervenka did the pommel, who made the blade and cross by the way?

This is potentially one of the most beautiful Castillon sword I've seen (I don't think I've seen any examples with elaborate pommel engravings but who cares really).

Really looking forward to see this finished!

J
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: