Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > chevalier d'auvergne sabre blade, i need your opinion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: chevalier d'auvergne sabre blade, i need your opinion         Reply with quote

hello all,

i have contacted the french manifacture chevalier d'auvergne about their sabre blade,

i have planned to buy a couple for a coutlass/hanger and sabre project, i don't know very much about their product

but the stuff on their website, www.chevalierdauvergne.com, looks very nice,

they have told me that their blade are fit for hisorical fencing ,

i need your opinion about the blade models i have chosen, the first is intended for the coutlass/hanger, the following three

for the sabre, the 1802 model is considerably longer than the previous two, all the model weight the same, 700g,:

Blade : Grooved “Briquet” sabre
Tang length: 160mm
Blade length: 615mm
Base width: 32mm
Total length: 775mm

Blade : Montmorency sabre
Blade length: 755mm
Base width: 34mm
Total length: 915mm

Blade : Sapper Revolution sabre
Blade length: 740mm
Base width: 33mm
Total length: 900mm

Blade : 1802 Hunter sabre
Blade length: 840mm
Base width: 35mm
Total length: 1000mm

your opinion will be greatly appreciated

thanks for help

Attachment: 11.36 KB
sappeur revolution.jpg

Attachment: 11.44 KB
montmorency.jpg

Attachment: 11.23 KB
grooved briquet.jpg

Attachment: 13.04 KB
1802 hunter sabre.jpg

Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

p.s,

the kind of weapons i would like to have re-create are are mid-late XVIIIth century, like the examples picture

Attachment: 70.87 KB
DSCN2368.JPG

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tangs look a bit thin to me.
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have had the same impression when i have looked at the website the first time, it is exactly the kind of imput

i wish to have, considering that i don't know nothing about the quality of their products
Pauli Vennervirta

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a 1822 sabre blade by Chevalier D'Auvergne, I made a training weapon of it. Yes, the tangs are thin. The rod is 5 mm, not the usual 6 mm! I e-mailed them about it and they aswered that all their saber blades have a 5 mm tang. I really cant figure out why.

When I saw the rod I almost returned the blade, but I found a way to solve the problem. What I did was that I extended the tang stub by grinding it down the blade, right down to the edge of the fuller. That way I got a reasonably strong tang. I made the hilt parts myself (ugly as hell but artillery proof). I secured the end of rod with a small nut and peened the end, that should keep everything in one piece. Unhistorical but works.

I have done some edge to edge training with it, it has held up so far and the edge damage is not too bad, nothing that was not to be expected. The finish of the blade is good enough and it has a distal taper, which is nice. Still, if I had to choose today I would not take this blade, it required quite a lot of work. To my knowledge there are no reasonably priced heavy training sabers available on the market now that Popinjay seems to be out of business. American fencers supply has a sabre blade but I dont know anything about its quality.
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have made a cuttoe out of one of their briquet blades - I also found the tang to be far too thin and flimsy for serious use. The blade I used had no fuller and handled like a crowbar - if I ever get one again, it will be fullered as I hope they handle better.

They look very good and are good quality, just too 'beefy' and with tangs I could never trust in action!

Julian
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Keep in mind that historical tangs for these swords were fairly slight. For a hobbyist looking to improve these without grinding the blade shoulders would be to braze on some more material if looking to chop down trees and stuff like that. Keep in mind that the blades used with baskets and often back straps displace the force to place the stress at the shoulder, not the middle of the tang. I am copying just one index here for a bare spadroon blade that will show some slimness that also carries over to period sabre blades (often sold on ebay and would be other examples).

Jonathan may pipe in here on British patent hilts and other varieties that took the full tang method to heart.

Here is that spadroon index. Joe Salter doesn't mind folk sharing these for personal use, so I wold think educational and fair use will be ok. Please download, not post as hotlinked images

http://photos.joesalter.com/12948/

Cheers

GC
J.E. Sweeney

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tangs look like soldered screws....
- JESW
Pauli Vennervirta

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.E. Sweeney wrote:
Tangs look like soldered screws....

They are not. I cleaned the tang stub and looks like they are either very well velded or of the same material as the blade. Beats me why they can't make these blades right the first time. They make theatrical fencing blades that have the 6 mm rods and are more serviceable, allthough lack distal taper.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > chevalier d'auvergne sabre blade, i need your opinion
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic