Colada
I have been looking online today and have for out that the sword I own is a Colada. However, I cannot find out who made it. Unlike others I have seen, the only thing it says on the blade is "Toledo", and below it "MADE IN SPAIN" It does have a screw-on pommel, but no other maker marks that I can find.
Welcome to myArmoury

The Colada and Tizona swords of El Cid have been made as decorative swords for at least the past half a century. While some examples have elaborate etching and sometimes even color enameled paint, a good many others ere quite plain and as you seem to be describing it. The very plain and unadorned examples are still sold to this day, so it can be difficult at times to determine exact age and actual source/maker.

A picture or example from another site may better describe to others what you are seeing of this sword.

Cheers

GC
It has three crests(?) in the etching on the blade. One looks like a double Griffon with a shield, the second is a shield, but the images are too difficult to make out. The third is a plain shield with stipes going up and down. I am having trouble getting a picture uploaded though.
I have found the following and free download to be quite useful in sharing images.

www.onthegosoft.com/shrink_pic.htm

There are also free and easy to use hosting sites

The Colada sword is usually less decorated than you indicate, so it would be nice to better share what you have in hand.

Cheers

GC
The edges of the blade are not sharp and they look like they were not meant to be sharpened. The point is a bit sharper, and all along the flat of the blade it has these odd shaped minute pitmarks, they are more concentrated near the tip.

Attachment: 117.17 KB
019.jpg

Looks like a Toledo. I have what looks like that same guard in my scrap bin.
I'm pretty certain that that is an old Cas Iberia Colada Cid sword.

I found this image of one.

http://www.knight-ware.com/blades/iberia/1100-tl.gif

A friend of mine has one, I've seen them lots of times. They are now discontinued.
Yes, it's one of the Toledo best-sellers. It has the grip covered in wire and a badly welded guard. Any reenactor or sword collector in Spain has one hidden somewhere, it's impossible to not have one, sooner or later, someone gives you one as a present "because you liked swords, not?" ;)

BTW, never use it for anything other than hang from a wall. Never try to sharpen it, or to make any stage combat with it. I know people injured due to this... :eek:

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: