Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help identifying armor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
Dan, what about this museum piece?
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http:/...CBAQ9QEwAA

date of manufacture, materials used, all known and backed up with documentation from the period!
Wink Razz

Laughing Out Loud Razz
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Lawrence wrote:
Not up on my D&D but there were the coats of a thousand nails http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/Nephtys..._nails.jpg And some had plates behind and some did not.
The examples without the plates consisted of a pile of quilted layers of textiles. It is the layered cloth that provided the defense, not the decorative rivets. All the examples I've seen have metal plates sandwiched between cloth. European examples have the plates riveted to the inside.

Quote:
And of course chines armor of the same type etc
No they didn't. They were civilian garments, not armour.

Quote:
Now were all the ones without backing plates just for ceremonial e or light armor from what I can tell that is still being debated.
. Not by anyone who has made and experimented with armour. Adding studs to a cloth defense does nothing to improve its protective capability against weapons. It can help against abrasion which is why it is used on modern motorcycle jackets.
Patrick Lawrence

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any thoughts on the new images by any one. It looks clear that it does have round metal plates covering it. And I am not sure they would be just fixed over plates below from the way it looks.
Patrick Lawrence

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking at the photo of the wood carving it its interesting that the disks are below where there are normally plates. And also extend down the sleeve where there were not normally plates. At least from the coat of plates I have seen. This would make me think at least some are decorative or they were a form or armor of there own.
Kevin P Molloy

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can you tell me what Warlord book this picture is from? I have the 2004 version of Warlord Armies and this picture is not in it.
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the Ancient Sword is O'Molloy of the Freeborn Name"... O'Dugain(d.1372AD)
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you tell me what Warlord book this picture is from? I have the 2004 version of Warlord Armies and this picture is not in it.

Actually, best I can tell what he's seen it in is a third?fourth?fifth? hand reuse of the McBride pic. I've got it in Celtic Warriors 400BC-AD1600, by Tim Newark with illustrations by Angus McBride, the 1991 reprint, which is the third reprint of the 1986 first addition, so its making the rounds of publications it seems.
Kevin P Molloy

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can anyone help me Id this armour on Hugh O'Neill, is it a Jack of Plates? Or Plate?

Attachment: 59.21 KB
Hugh O'Neill2.jpg

Attachment: 54.44 KB
Hugh%20ONeill.jpg

Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the Ancient Sword is O'Molloy of the Freeborn Name"... O'Dugain(d.1372AD)
Kevin P Molloy

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:
Quote:

Actually, best I can tell what he's seen it in is a third?fourth?fifth? hand reuse of the McBride pic. I've got it in Celtic Warriors 400BC-AD1600, by Tim Newark with illustrations by Angus McBride, the 1991 reprint, which is the third reprint of the 1986 first addition, so its making the rounds of publications it seems.

Thanks, Can you tell me what other pictures of Irish warriors are in the Celtic Warrior book? If there are alot I may consider buying a copy.

Kevin Patrick Molloy
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kevin P Molloy wrote:
Can anyone help me Id this armour on Hugh O'Neill, is it a Jack of Plates? Or Plate?

Brigandine.
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Dan says, brig. Theres pics of several brigs of this type in Stones Guide.
Kevin P Molloy

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Kevin P Molloy wrote:

Brigandine.

Is he wearing chainmail underneath(ie: the sleeves)? And what exactly were these brigandines made of? Was it leather with metal plates inside? Can you help me out with a detailed description of this particular type?

Kevin Patrick Molloy
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kevin P Molloy wrote:
And what exactly were these brigandines made of? Was it leather with metal plates inside? Can you help me out with a detailed description of this particular type?

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2834
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks, Can you tell me what other pictures of Irish warriors are in the Celtic Warrior book? If there are alot I may consider buying a copy.

The plates are titled 1) Celtic raiders fall upon Greek guards at the pass of Thermopylae 279 BC
2) Celtiberian chieftan and warrior break through Roman seige works surrounding thier hill fort. Numantia Spain 133BC
3)A Belgic chariot and horse warrior harass Roman legionaries during Caesar's expedition to Britian. South east England 54BC
4) A sailing ship of the Veneti is boarded by Romano-Gallic auxilliaries from Aedui . Morbihan Bay , the Atlantic coast of France 56 BC
5) Cuchulainn of Ulster rides his legendary scythed chariot against Connacht raiders described in the pre Christian Irish saga Tain Bo Cuailnge
6)An Arthurian Romano-Celtic landlord clashes with a Saxon raider on the outskirts of Bath, Britain in the late fifth century.
7)Pict horse warriors chase an isolated scot into a deserted broch. Daladria north west Scotland seventh century
8)Murchad, the son of Brian Boru, High King of all Ireland , tackles a Viking at the battle of Clontarf, Dublin 1014
9)A Norman Breton landlord is ambushed by Welsh herdsman. The Marches of northern Wales, late eleventh century.
10) Dermot MacMurrogh, warlord of Leinster. is backed up by a Norman Welsh knight and a Welsh archer. Ossory, south east Ireland 1169
11)Scots highlanders in a schiltron hold thier ground against English knight Sir William Deyncourt. The battle of Bannockburn, 1314
12)Edward Bruce attacked by Anglo Irish warriors at Moiry Pass in Armagh, Ulster 1315
13)Owain Glyndwr and his Welsh followers are attacked by the English garrison of Caernarfon Castle 1401
14)James IV King of Scotland is cut down by English billmen , and longbowmen. The battle of Flodden, Northumberland 1513
15)A Gallowglas and his kern attendents await thier Irish lord, Shane O'Neill, during his visit to the court of Elizabeth I, London 1562
16) Irish warriors of the army of Hugh O'Neill charge upon the English at the battle of the Yellow Ford, Ulster 1598
Kevin P Molloy

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

16) Irish warriors of the army of Hugh O'Neill charge upon the English at the battle of the Yellow Ford, Ulster 1598

Can you post this picture?

Kevin Patrick Molloy
Kevin P Molloy

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:
As Dan says, brig. Theres pics of several brigs of this type in Stones Guide.

How do I find "Stones Guide"?

Kevin Patrick Molloy
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you post this picture?

Kevin, I don't have the foggiest idea how to scan things so I can't help you there.

Stones Guide http://www.amazon.com/Glossary-Construction-D...amp;sr=1-1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help identifying armor
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: