Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thoughts on AT/CF Maker's Mark Type XIV.1 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on AT/CF Maker's Mark Type XIV.1         Reply with quote

Christian Fletcher posted a new item on his site under the Angus Trim Maker's Mark line, called the "Type XIV 14th Century Sword" and showing various views of the piece. To me it seems to be a departure from the usual Atrim line. And the price is also quite a bit higher. I'm curious to hear how some of the senior members and collectors here view this offering?

http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fletcher/XIV.1.html
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on AT/CF Maker's Mark Type XIV.1         Reply with quote

Mike Harris wrote:
Christian Fletcher posted a new item on his site under the Angus Trim Maker's Mark line, called the "Type XIV 14th Century Sword" and showing various views of the piece. To me it seems to be a departure from the usual Atrim line. And the price is also quite a bit higher. I'm curious to hear how some of the senior members and collectors here view this offering?

http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fletcher/XIV.1.html

By and large I really, really like it, nice find. Two things I note, it looks to be peened as opposed to the hex nut assembly. My other note is how light it is. I normally like sword of this type to pack a bit more whallop, but that is just me.

Another thought, the COP is really close, that would be interested to feel. Makes the sweet spot pretty close and pretty wide for cuts...

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The hilt furniture is untypical of most ATrims. The pommel and guard look closer to Medieval types, something that usually isn't of the highest importance to Gus. As Mike Arledge says, the pommel is peened. It also looks like there has been some extra work finishing off the blade.

Perhaps the sword has been dressed up by CF, though usually it is so indicated if he has done that.
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like it too...... looks like one of the previous Atrim MM Type XIVs from last year but with an upgraded hilt by CF. As much as I like it though I have the accent fullered Type XII which is very similar in size and weight and is simply an outstanding sword for I.33 .......... tr

pic added of my upgraded type XII

Last edited by Thom R. on Wed 02 Dec, 2009 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently received both a CF Prestige Antioch AND a custom 1557 from Christian Fletcher and from what I am hearing this new look: peened construction, better fittings, and better polish is going to be the norm for ATrim swords from now on. my Antioch had a very nice finish although it was not as good as the Albion Norman I had while the 1557's polish was nothing short of perfect and was every bit as good as the Albion's polish, maybe even a little better as I recall the Norman not being QUITE perfect but in all honesty trying to find a difference between the Norman and 1557's polish levels would be picking more nits than I care to do.

I am very happy to see the ATrim swords going this route as I have found the feel of Gus' swords more to my liking than any other. so for me the step up in aesthetics is very welcome.

here's a few pictures of my 1557:

not to mention this sword cuts like something out of Science Fiction

she's keeper.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thoughts on AT/CF Maker's Mark Type XIV.1
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic