Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

show us your helms
Here is my bascinet helm. It's based off of the Churburg S17 S16 bascinet, that is housed in castle Churburg in Italy :cool:

I also made a visor for it that was based off an image from the late 14th century.

Attachment: 61.1 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 74.24 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 75.02 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 69.24 KB
[ Download ]
F Hynd wrote:
my sallet with my tournament colours

sorry for the sligthy fuzzy images

That is a very cool helmet! I know where to get one for a very good price too.

How is that helmet do? H\
I bought a Dargen great helm from Andrey Galevskiy - I thought it had some nice lines. It wasn't until I compared it to the original Dargen great helm that I realized how good it looked.It's legal for "heavy" fighting, though I think I'll stick to my beater helm for that.

[ Linked Image ]

Attachment: 91.48 KB
Front.jpg

Attachment: 107.16 KB
Right side.jpg

Attachment: 82.93 KB
[ Download ]
Bascinet with aventail from del tin.

[ Linked Image ]
So far I've only got a spangenhelm made by Ulfberth from the times where we were legally allowed to import things overseas in my country. I want to have a kettle helm for my XIVth century set I'm makin', guess I'll have to make it myself too.

Attachment: 198.56 KB
ULF-HM-10b.jpg

Attachment: 81.18 KB
10371494_647642478652754_4807868026765840493_n.jpg

Hello :)

And here is mine barbuta from Metropolitan Arts Museum :)
https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0-9/600928_409593982465593_1276292278_n.jpg

Made last year :)

Regards,
Mike from Poland
My new klappvisor bascinet by Zsigmond Adamffy:

helm
Hey guys.

I love my helmet. I see why the Greeks used the style for so long
However some of yours are pretty epic to

Attachment: 72.06 KB
[ Download ]
Lance
Love the pony tails
That helm makes me want to hit you
I'll be keeping an eye out for that target
(:
My sallet. Based on an original at Leeds.
The sallet is treated with scorched cod liver oil. An experiment in metal treatment with coastal Scandinavian resources. The oil / grease should probably be from whale or seals. Cod liver oil might be a bit too labour intensive for manual fishery ...

Attachment: 213.83 KB
[ Download ]
Hi Tjarand,

I love that treatment! Can you tell us more about how you did it?
Tjarand's post prompted me to post my latest, roughly based on the sallet in the Walters Art Musuem.

The lines are different from the original, and the occularium is wider than I'd prefer it to be, but I bought this secondhand as a project piece - I added the gilding to match the original and eagle-claw crest. While the claws might not be everyone's cup of tea, it's inspired by the dozens of images of such helmets in the Pastrana Tapestries. And, as the original had holes for a crest, I decided this needed one!

(For anyone who hasn't seen them yet, many images of the tapestries are included in some myArmoury threads, including a link to a site with many detailed photos. For a more physical resource, The Invention of Glory: Afonso V and the Pastrana Tapestries is a fantastic book.)

Attachment: 248.58 KB
Walters-claw-sallet-LHS.gif

Attachment: 248.17 KB
Walters-claw-sallet-LHS-front.gif

Attachment: 247.86 KB
Walters-claw-sallet-front.gif

Attachment: 249.72 KB
Walters-claw-sallet-RHS-front.gif

Attachment: 247.93 KB
Walters-claw-sallet-RHS.gif

Attachment: 240.81 KB
Walters-Art-Museum-sallet---front-quarter-and-top-showing-crest-holes-by-thoog.gif
Inspiration: Walters Art Museum sallet; photo by 'thoog'

Last edited by Mark T on Fri 29 Aug, 2014 9:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
I like it. The way the claw is opened and pointing forward give it an aggressive, "Coming to get you" sort of look, if that makes sense.
Hi Collin,

Thanks - I like it too!

And I like your sense of the intent and 'motion' imparted by the angle. Most of the images of claw-topped helmets that we have (and I'm guessing most of these are from the Pastrana Tapestries) show the claws as all 'seated' on, or touching the helmet, and I like having something inspired by this, but not of the exact same form.

I was also curious about this choice of crest - were they slightly representative of being 'under' the domain of the double-headed eagle of the HRE? (But this doesn't account for the Pastrana helmets.) Or were they meant to somehow show some kind of affinity with the eagle itself, or an association of meanings of power, predation, and so on? Or were they just a motif of some kind, without a direct or literal connection to the content (think the ubiquity of Che t-shirts today, perhaps)?

In any case, it also dawned on me that the eagle foot could be 'read' in almost the opposite way: the suggested eagle could be more 'active' - that the wearer would effectively be 'caught' by the claws. In this way, the 'raised' claw on my repro then actually becomes a 'descending' foot, about to land.

So, whether open and 'I'm coming to get you', or descending and having a sense of motion and threat ... it gives a more engaging feel than just the 'prone' claw, I think.

On another note, it was fun to make such a modification to a helmet. I already had another sallet with pre-drilled holes for a crest. To that one, I added a double-headed eagle, which I liked a lot. But actually making the decision to drill an intact helmet all for the sake of adding a crest that I wasn't sure would work or not was a completely different decision - there was almost a sense of not wanting to interfere with the armourer's original work, and leave it 'as it was intended to be'.

Finally finding some images that showed that the original Walters sallet had crest holes helped shift this. And, having now done it, I'm not less squeamish about modding other gear. Perhaps others who've added crests to helmets can include them in this thread too!
I had custom ordered a Dargen great helm from Mardinus, 2mm spring steel. Though I can notice some riveting mistake and not the most accurate, but it is definite worth the money.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
After installed the padding lining, polishing and oiling.
[ Linked Image ]
(Sorry if the mess bother you)
Painted my kettle hat , but my hand writing is very bad.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ] Sugarloaf 3mm stainless steel. With a not that historicly correct paintjob.
But its from the Island of Roses (Wisby)
A line-up of some of my helms.
[ Linked Image ]

And my Pembridge greathelm over the bascinet w/torse mantle and crest on it.
[ Linked Image ][ Linked Image ]

And a close-up of the modified crest (Knightly Arts) w/tongue and glass eyes installed:

[ Linked Image ]
Terry,

First off, nice partial collection. :)

Secondly, your “Pembridge greathelm over bascinet w/torse mantle and crest” is very attractive! :eek:
Hey, here are some pics of my helmet done by Jacek Matera. It was produced after the bascinet of chartres.

Attachment: 88.77 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 57.3 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 51.01 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 76.88 KB
[ Download ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Page 12 of 13

Jump to: