Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > foot soldiers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Kevin McMullan

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi everyone

Dusting off an old topic. I'm just starting to think about getting an Agincourt longbowman's kit together myself. Nice photos Ben! Is that a yew bow or a bow coloured to look like yew?

I've made bows and arrows, bought a 9 inch buckler, making a shortsword and I'll make the belt and sheath to go with it, I have leather footwear that'll do for now - I still need updated hose, arrow bag, and the helmet (open faced salet?) is the big single expense, but my main query is the practical use of a long sleeved gambeson/jack when shooting a bow.

I imagine that if you were doing the traditional "shooting in the bow" draw style, where you pull back to your ear, the triangle of bow arm, bow hand and drawn string would make a clear path for the string to be released unimpeded. I'm skinny but tall, so that would require a bow of ~33 inch draw length which I'm yet to make (soon, once I can find a 205cm long stave!).

I'm concerned that those historical but long padded sleeves will get in the way of the string's path using a slightly more traditional draw style as it makes for a much narrower triangle. I anchor to the corner of my mouth, but do use a semi-period open footed, chest-on stance so I'd describe my string path triangle as "medium", not exceptionally narrow or wide.

Does anyone have much practical experience with shooting a longbow whilst wearing one of these 15thC style long sleeved gambeson/jacks?
I suppose I could just get the sleeves made nice and snug for my skinny arms, which would still make for a fairly narrow arm/hand/string triangle....but I still have to have good arm movement for swordfighting.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Experience?
James Martin

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These are some really great example pictures posted in this thread.
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh MacNeil wrote:
Ben - I would really love to meet the person who had the balls to stand directly in front of a man with a drawn bow to take a picture. They must have some serious trust in you. Eek!

The trick is to not notch the arrow. Hold it between your fingers, next to the string. That way you can even aim at a person with no worry of damage:

I've never had a problem with shooting while wearing a gambeson. I tend to put mine on rather than bother with a bracer, but if you think your one is too baggy, then split it to the elbow, cut out a triangle and add in buttons so you can have it very tight and still take it on and off. Or just get a bracer to put round it. A nice one, mind, not one of those horrible £5 ones that look like they were made by a 12 year old in an after school club.
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, people here have some interesting kits!
Maybe I should try to put one together.
Ben van Koert

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kevin McMullan wrote:

Dusting off an old topic. I'm just starting to think about getting an Agincourt longbowman's kit together myself. Nice photos Ben! Is that a yew bow or a bow coloured to look like yew?

Hi Kevin,

It's a yew longbow by Steve Stratton. Unfortunately I can't tell you much more about archery or bows. I have one because of an old promise I made ten years before and because I like to shoot occasionally at the evening of events if a range is set up. Just to relax, not for sport.

To answer your other question, I see lots of guys (and girls too!) shoot with a jack, so it seems it isn't much of a problem. I can imagine you'd want a good fitting one, but that's favourable anyway, if you want to make a good presentation.

Great photo Zac! It looks really spectacular!
Kevin McMullan

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:

Close up of a basic Scottish pike of the 1380s

A period illustration of the basic 15th century look (Note the simple skull cap, simple jack chains, bare hands, use of what might be a spear, bare neck, no lower leg protection, maille shirt under a quilted jack that has open arm pits (!!!) and what I find quite odd is the way he's rolled up his hose to his ankle on his left leg... period hose has a fitted foot that should keep him from doing so. Confused )

A 15th century English archer look

Hi David, great photos.

Do many other of your archers use mail or similar splints on their arms? I first noticed the reference to mail sewn onto the arms of the jack in the Osprey book, then saw your photos. And I've got to shorten my hauberk on my Norman kit so thought I'll stitch the strips onto the sleeves of my planned jack.
T. Hamilton

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague, I'm completely jealous! Every time someone wants a pic of something, you have a complete kit! It makes me feel like such a slacker for not even having one kit done! Laughing Out Loud
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Tue 19 Oct, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all, please excuse my necro-ing of this thread as I feel I'd better post my kit (finally assembled! Big Grin ) considering I started this thread.

Attachment: 66.96 KB
FB newkit1.jpg

Attachment: 75.73 KB
FBnewkit2.jpg

Attachment: 65.8 KB
FBnewkit4.jpg

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Tue 19 Oct, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

nice kit nathan! congratulations on finishing your kit, i'm assembling my own 15thc kit myself and have the same jack and chains that you do. I see you have the same problem with the chains sticking out on the forearms like I did, I had to remove the top strip so mine would fit. Worried

Where did you get that civilian hat? its one of the few 15thc hats i've seen thats not weird looking lol, and also where did you get your leg harness?

P.s. It's nice to see someone who's actually YOUNGER than me in this hobby. Razz

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Tue 19 Oct, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well It's not completely finished, I still have to paint the sallet, get a period liner & strap for it, and get a tabard to match the sallets (future) pattern. But minor stuff, and I finally have something presentable.
How did you get the strip off the chains? It seems to be dang thick metal to me.
The hat is a favorite of mine, It's from Historic Enterprises. Its seen in pics from the 13-15th cent period. Popular with the commoners. Very versatile, don't look weird, and it goes with my social class. It's also about 10 bucks, which is awesome.
The leg harness is from Allan at MercTailor.
And yeah, im 15. lol, and I hate competing with all you guys with jobs..... Laughing Out Loud

Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Tue 19 Oct, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sweet, don't see too many painted helms around.

Well, it took me 20 minutes of trying different things but I finally got it off using a pair of cutting nippers, or "nail cutters". My pair is about 13 3/4 inches long, and it took a moderate amount of strength, I just put them over the part that overlaps to connect it to the ring, cut it and then pryed it open a little bit with a wedge, but the nail puller on a regular hammer should work just as good if not better.

If you wanted to do that though you should dry run it first and tie the jack chains to where they would be if you removed the top strip (bottom strip might work for you aswell), and see how it fits your arm tied in that way. When I took my top strip off the elbow was a little bit high for my elbow, but I fixed that by loosely tying the arming point that was just a few inches below the elbow strap to the elbow strap. Thus pulling and keeping the elbow farther down and also pulling the sleeve higher, which was good for me because the sleeves are a little bit too long for my arms lol.

Seeing your pics, it kinda looks like taking the bottom strip off might be better than taking off the top strip, but you'll have to see which would work better for you.

so thats the medieval felt hat? yours looks better than its pics on the HE site...gotta get me one of those.

Is Historic enterprises where you got your shoes too? They look like their ankle boots i've been thinking of getting.

Well at least you don't have car insurance yet, lol. I'm 18 and it's hard to juggle car insurance, saving for college AND trying to assemble a kit...

Thanks for letting me know where you got your hat and leg harness, hope my jack chain mutilation instructions helped you out a bit. Happy

ps. I tried posting pics of how I took off the top strip because I know i'm not good at explaining things, but it wont work for me for some reason, sorry.

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Fri 22 Oct, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, thats why I plan to paint it. Unique, historical, and WAY under-represented.
And thats very helpful. And my original thoughts were to remove that bottom piece. After you cut it, how did you put those holes in it to tie to the arming jack?
And yes, thats the felt hat. I was a little worried at first too, but I rather like it.
and the shoes are actually revival clothing.
And that is true, I really should keep assembling kit whilst I don't have to pay all of that stuff too. Laughing Out Loud

Here's another look at my kit, worn for school costume day, and taken by my history teacher.
No cuirass, and the maille skirt is underneath the jack.

Attachment: 66.51 KB
FB Stots album CDay.jpg
I'm on the right of course......

Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Fri 22 Oct, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I just point it to the ring I took the strip off of now, which seems to work well for me. But if you wanted you could cut the strip 1/3 down from the ring (or whatever length fits you best) then sand it down so it wouldn't nick you, and drill 2 holes for attatching it.

Revival clothing eh? thanks.

Nice pic, and the maille skirt kinda looks better under the jack as opposed to on top of it, but then again thats just my opinion.

Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Fri 22 Oct, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, that would seem to work too.
Just wondering, say someone was adamant about that drilling, would you need any special tools and such to get through that 14g steel?
And yeah, I like the look of the kit w/o the cuirass better. It's alot cooler and easier to wear too! Razz

Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Fri 22 Oct, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I asked my dad who repairs boilers and does alot of work with metal, and according to him you'll need to oil the bit your using and try different speeds. You will also probably need to use more than one bit since they will probably get fairly dull after a short while, but I don't think you'll need 10 bits or anything like that tho.

Reading up on the subject of drilling thru metal would probably help you out a bit too.

Hope this helps.

Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all, prepare for the awestriking power of my Necro-Necro-ing!!! Mwa-ha-ha
Anyway, it's the kit. I'm working on getting a late 15th cent man at arms look, and her's the start. Happy

Attachment: 70.97 KB
15thcentNK FB1.jpg

Attachment: 55.41 KB
15thcentNK FB4.jpg

Attachment: 68.22 KB
15thcentNK FB2.jpg

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > foot soldiers
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: