Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > why do we buy this stuff? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 19 Nov, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, there's definitely something very personal and almost indefinable about it. For me that separates objects that I find interesting and appealing to collect, like helms for example, from swords, which are a downright obsession. For many of us modern life is full of so many abstract frustrating problems that one must deal with in very indirect ways. When I go home and hold a favorite sword in my hand, or even just look at one, somehow I just feel better. It's not that I have any inclination of 'going postal'; it has more to do with that primal symbolism that some of you have mentioned. Like: 'Now I am ready to face the Grendels of my life'. My wife does not get it, but she finds it amusing and tolerates it. -JD
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 19 Nov, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Yes, there's definitely something very personal and almost indefinable about it. For me that separates objects that I find interesting and appealing to collect, like helms for example, from swords, which are a downright obsession. For many of us modern life is full of so many abstract frustrating problems that one must deal with in very indirect ways. When I go home and hold a favorite sword in my hand, or even just look at one, somehow I just feel better. It's not that I have any inclination of 'going postal'; it has more to do with that primal symbolism that some of you have mentioned. Like: 'Now I am ready to face the Grendels of my life'. My wife does not get it, but she finds it amusing and tolerates it. -JD

All of the reasons above but it's also very much an affinity to enjoying sculpture/form aesthetically: I can spend hours just looking at swords and other arms as if I was looking at an art object.

There is also, tactile and handling pleasure also related to the sculptural.

Design: Appreciation and understanding of the design of historical weapons as well as enjoying designing my own for custom projects.

Use of arms in HEMA training: All that movement, fast sprinting reacting and physicality that Sean mentioned in a post above.

But bottom line it's a passion that one either has and can't explain in words even to oneself much less to others who don't share the same passion and even less to those who don't understand collecting at all even stamp collecting.

Passions are close to our core personality and transcends logical explanations although one can identify aspects of the why the presence of the passion in the first place is hard to explain.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Harry J. Fletcher

Reading list: 44 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Nov, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: From the Starving millions to the Sublime         Reply with quote

Thank GOD this thread has taken a different direction from the starving third world millions slaving to make our swords in their hell hole sweat shops! But frankly, we are not responsible for these conditions since we do not govern these countries which is a good thing. In any case we would not purchase or keep the shoddy junk produced in such sweat shops!

Just for the record, my last sword was a Hanwei Shinto Elite, and the one before that was an Albion Reeve. Poor starving fellas in Wisconsin sweating and slaving in their hell hole sweat shop just so I can have my Albion Reeve. As for Hanwei, their employees have a very good wage scale and high living standard at least since the last time Paul Chen addressed the issue.

...and now back to art appreciation...a worthy subject since it involves swords!!!!! Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

To Study The Edge of History
Evan Jones

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Nov, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I've read and agreed with pretty much everything everyone's said, but I feel compelled to chip in my two cents.I feel that the reason I collect all this kind of stuff is for multiple reasons, so I'll kinda divvy this up into a few (hopefully small) sections.

Specifically concerning swords: I think it's because I see the sword as a symbol of Good. I've always liked medieval arms and armor, but the sword holds a special place, you know? Whenever I see it used by a bad-guy in a film, it looks just like what it physically is, a tool for killing. But when I see the hero wield his "magnificent blade", it's like he's representing and defending goodness and truth, and all of that stuff that makes the hopeless romantic in all of us sword dorks swoon. I'm consistently told by my friends that I'm the most morally driven person they know, and that I can be counted on more than anyone else to do what is "right". I guess I'm drawn to buy swords because they're a physical manifestation of my inner self, who I can't really get to be in this extremely restrictive modern day and age.

Secondly, I have to agree with the whole "survivalist" explanation as well. We like all of these historic artifacts because we sense that they still hold a level of usefulness that shouldn't be forgotten. Though I'm only 20, and a suburbanite, I distinctly remember having a more low-tech upbringing than everybody else in the neighborhood. I didn't really watch much tv (at first), preferring to play around with my toys OUTSIDE LIKE A YOUNG BOY OUGHT TO. We didn't get a computer until I was 9, we didn't get a dvd player until I was 15 (Yeah, most of my favorite movies used to be on VHS). I can especially remember my dad putting on his old Vinyl records at christmas time. I especially smile whenever I remember myself at age ten and my brother at age seven finishing shovelling the whole driveway by ourselves (btw, I live in Michigan, and this was in the 90's when a Michigan Winter was still a Michigan Winter), then putting the shovels back in the garage, only to see our athletic 30-something neighbor sheepishly pull out his snowblower( and if the lazy sonufagun had gotten outside when WE did, he'd have seen our EIGHTY-something year old neighbor finish shovelling his driveway.LOL...) I remember my dad putting my brother and I to work in the yard, mostly pulling bushes and cutting sod, stuff like "never mind the fact that you're eight, take this dull spade and cut through that 4" taproot right there". Cute stories aside, the point is that we see a reliance on machines and even more advanced technologies as a crutch, and if you don't need a crutch, why should you use it? I have every intention of learning to shave with a straight-razor, learning the art of stellar navigation like Dave mentioned (SUCH A COOL AND PRACTICAL IDEA) I'll grow as many of my own foods as I can, hunt every now and again, and in general limit how much I rely on technology and industry. While admittedly swords and chainmail are a far cry from farming tools, they still show that there's an interest present. We just prefer these things because they at least link us to feeling like we're capable of surviving without something that runs on an electrical charge.

Thirdly, being of entirely European descent, some of it only second-generation American, I like looking at and holding all of this SUPER COOL STUFF that MY OWN ancestors very well may have used. I like to wonder if I had a Danish viking ancestor, or if there's blood in my veins from a Welsh longbowman who was at Agincourt, or a German gothic knight. Even if it's ultimately untrue, these fantasies provide a more tangible link to my heritage.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that your sword in that picture there Kirk? I saw it in a thread a day or two ago. Is it actually featured in the book you reference?

Heh, see what you did David, you turned this thread into a "back-in-my-day" fest. Wink Here're some comments on Evan's post:
My family was always thought of as weird because we didn't get a TV antenna till I was 17 or so, and then we never used it because we were out in the country and couldn't get much aside from static. Watched mostly some VHS Star Trek episodes growing up. Concerning computers again, it was also at 17 when I discovered the internet (largely because we got high speed and I started taking distance education college courses). It wasn't much before that that we got our first DVD player, but it was part of the computer package. Only in the last couple of years have we gotten any dedicated DVD players you hook up to a TV. Never had a snowblower, why do you think my parents had kids in the first place? Laughing Out Loud

Kind of funny how I hated work so much when I were little, but now I look back and find some sort of joy and glory in it. Maybe it is that it seems so simple and straightforward, I'm in control and understand what I am doing and can feel it in my hands... That's part of why the sword/weapons thing, I can grasp it and feel it move, the heft of the thing. You can't get that in a video game. (That's another thing, I cannot understand people who just love swords'n'sorcery RPG/video games but don't have any desire to learn anything about it in real life. That's like being interested in football but just watching it and not playing it... Ok, bad example. Big Grin )
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: From the Starving millions to the Sublime         Reply with quote

Harry J. Fletcher wrote:
Thank GOD this thread has taken a different direction from the starving third world millions slaving to make our swords in their hell hole sweat shops! But frankly, we are not responsible for these conditions since we do not govern these countries which is a good thing. In any case we would not purchase or keep the shoddy junk produced in such sweat shops!

I understood the remark in another way: it's not that the swords we buy are produced in sweat shops, it's that we are able to buy swords because many other goods are produced in these. There is truth in that; much of the growth and wealth that allow us to indulge in the pastime of our choice comes from the unbalance between the developed countries and the others. If the whole world had our lifestyle... Well I think this isn't even possible from the energetic point of view. It's still something to keep in mind. Even though none of us make the conscious evil decision to exploit others, the global economy only works because not everyone lives like us. If anything it gives us a duty to make the most out of our lucky lives... Not that I think I fulfill that duty myself Worried

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Harry J. Fletcher

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to Vincent         Reply with quote

Here in the United States I pay the same for a shirt produced in a third world country as I would for a shirt that used to be made in the U.S.A. which is about $50.00 at Dillards. Many jobs in the U.S. have gone overseas but the savings in buying goods produced in these countries have not been passed along to the American consumer.

It is the greed of the corporate managers which really reap the benefits of the huge profits being made while the stockholders realize shrinking dividends. The American worker finds himself displaced and able to buy less and less as American shores are flooded with goods produced overseas in third world countries.

I came of age in a world with a population of 2 billion people. Now there are over 6 billion people. The United States is being flooded with third world economic refugees mainly from Mexico to the point where the national culture is rapidly becoming Latin. We of European heritage are becoming submerged in a third world surge of overpopulation. This is the cause of global warming, resource depletion, animal extinction, rapid transmission of new diseases, and the lowering of the quality of life for everyone here on Earth.

Third world cultual mores result in high birth rates and deplete natural resources. With high populations these countries have no choice but to turn to labor intensive industries.

I suggest you put the blame squarely where it belongs, on the third world itself. In the United states we have a population of approximately 250 million with about 50 to 60 million of that due to inmigration from third world countries. If the richer nations of the world continue to subsidize the poorer nations then the result will be mass starvation for everyone on an unimaginable scale.

I would rather pay $600 to $1000 plus for a sword made in the United States by a firm like Albion than a sword made in China by a firm like Hanwei. Wilkinson Sword a few years back made survival knives for the SAS and I have one. They were Cutlers to the Queen as mine is marked. Now they are defunct and a firm in India manufactures knives and bayonets for the British military. I agree with Herber Spencer, put up trade barriers to the third world, let them starve or solve their problems.

Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: From the Starving millions to the Sublime         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
Harry J. Fletcher wrote:

I understood the remark in another way: it's not that the swords we buy are produced in sweat shops, it's that we are able to buy swords because many other goods are produced in these. There is truth in that; much of the growth and wealth that allow us to indulge in the pastime of our choice comes from the unbalance between the developed countries and the others. If the whole world had our lifestyle... Well I think this isn't even possible from the energetic point of view. It's still something to keep in mind. Even though none of us make the conscious evil decision to exploit others, the global economy only works because not everyone lives like us. If anything it gives us a duty to make the most out of our lucky lives... Not that I think I fulfill that duty myself Worried

That's right, Vincent, that is what I meant.

Harry, don't fool yourself. The third world is the way it is for two reasons. One is that those countries were (and are) technologically and socially primitive by western standards. The second reason is that western nations have been meddling in their internal affairs for our own profit, from toppling regimes to paying for favorable economic policy, and all the good stuff in between. There's your corporate greed again.

You can only live the way you live because of the exploitation of these third world countries. Forget about swords, everything from cars to computers to hardware to utilities is the way it is because of them and what we do to them. To close trade now would cause a depression that would destoy the United States as we know it.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colt Reeves wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that your sword in that picture there Kirk? I saw it in a thread a day or two ago. Is it actually featured in the book you reference?...

Hey Colt...

Yeah... It is my sword in the picture. It is an MRL Irish Ring Sword I got at a clearance sell at Museum Replicas. I have done alot of work on it however. You can learn more about it here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=5494

That is also my wife's arm in the image as the lady of the lake. It is an image I produced for one of christian Fletcher's photo contests.

Not sure if the Irish ring hilt sword is featured in Davidson's excellent book. Her book deals with more than just Anglo-Saxon swords.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Harry J. Fletcher

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: QUESTION TO MICHAEL         Reply with quote

Micahel, if I understand you correctly you are saying that WE are CULTURALLY SUPPERIOR to these poor third world nations and although we have manipulated them out of CORPORATE GREED for our own gain we must continue to do so for the good of the UNITED STATES?

Makes me wonder who is the more callous of the two of us. I advocate forcing the third world to embrace birth control and responsibility as well as protection for the American worker and consumer. You advocate continued exploitation because now it has been done it cannot be undone and so it must be continued. WTF?! WTF?! WTF?!

Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: QUESTION TO MICHAEL         Reply with quote

Harry J. Fletcher wrote:
Micahel, if I understand you correctly you are saying that WE are CULTURALLY SUPPERIOR to these poor third world nations and although we have manipulated them out of CORPORATE GREED for our own gain we must continue to do so for the good of the UNITED STATES?

Makes me wonder who is the more callous of the two of us. I advocate forcing the third world to embrace birth control and responsibility as well as protection for the American worker and consumer. You advocate continued exploitation because now it has been done it cannot be undone and so it must be continued. WTF?! WTF?! WTF?!

Hi Harry,

Well, I can't say what I really advocate without breaking forum rules (and maybe some laws, too). Happy

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For a long time the Western economy was strong. Is now in decline.
Our economy is no longer a real economy. Too much creative financing, the decline is structural.
Perhaps we delude ourselves to be still strong ... the real money is no longer in our coffers ... England is the first victim ...
I hope that will not violate any rule. Cool
Ciao
Maurizio
G Ezell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My best friend back in elementary school's father had a modest collection of swords on display at his house, mostly fraternal swords, but also a very nice dao and a few Japanese pieces. The first time he let me handle them, I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up.... Cool

Unfortunately, the knight gig never panned out, so I started making knives. Still working my way up to a proper sword.

" I have found that it is very often the case that if you state some absolute rule of history, there will be an example, however extremely unusual, to break it."
Gabriel Lebec

https://www.facebook.com/relicforge
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think socio-political discussions are best left to forums that special in them (and this isn't one of those).
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 21 Nov, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My interest in antique weapons goes back 42 years, when I was a senior in college. As a youngster I had always had an interest in the War Between the States, or as we referred to it in the South, “The War of Northern Aggression”. As I grew up that interest waned, but was rekindled by a trip to the Williamsburg, VA area over Christmas of 1967, where I saw up close, for the first time, a number of firearms from the era. This interest was boosted by the fact that I am a direct or collateral descendant of ten Confederate soldiers and I suppose that was the real reason for my fascination with the War. A short time later I discovered Dixie Gun Works, which was selling replicas of these same firearms and bought a cap and ball revolver, my first firearms purchase, which I still have. During my military service I spent two years in Great Falls, MT, where I was exposed to artifacts from the early exploration of the West, including guns. When I came home and entered the business world, my first job was in Halifax County, NC, the home of a restored Revolutionary War town and one of the centers of the subsequent Bi-Centennial. I now live within a few miles of the sites of the Battle of Kings Mountain and the Battle of Cowpens. This exposure got me into Rev War reenacting although I am too old and creaky to sleep on the ground in a cold tent any more. Through genealogical research I was able to find out more about my Scottish roots and became active in Highland games and clan society activities, which required – to my way of thinking – the ownership of lots of sharp, pointy things. All this led to an admittedly limited study of edged and other types of medieval weaponry.

I guess my point is that I am influenced mainly by history and genealogy, which makes me want to acquire replica or real artifacts of my ancestors. And, since we all have ancestors going back to Adam & Eve, or we would not be here today, I suspect that inside that may be the motivation that drives us all. It may not be readily apparent but I believe it is there. At any rate, it is an expensive motivation. I now own ten swords, several dirks, bayonets, two targes and 43 firearms of all types and from all eras. And I am not through acquiring.

And that is why I buy this stuff.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 21 Nov, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: why do we buy this stuff?         Reply with quote

Zach Gordon wrote:
Also is this just some sort of modern compulsion, why didn't people renact and buy antiques and reproduction swords 600 years ago? Why do we want to own reproductions of history rather than antiques or history books?

Zach,
We all have different motivations; that's what makes this fun. Happy

First, I own reproductions because I can afford them and because I can handle them and use them without risking damage to an historical artifact. And I do own history books and museum/auction/exhibition catalogues. A lot of them. Happy The replacement value (not my cost) of my library is less than that of my collection, but it's way up there. Books are an important source of study for me.

People seem to have always been interested in collecting (or hoarding) items of personal significance. The holy relics trade (and forgery industry) of the Middle Ages is a testament to that. Some family armouries, like that at Churburg (which has items from the 14th century), collected the items of significance to them: arms and armour of their family members.

Why no reenacting in some earlier times? Mankind has not always fully studied history. Simply look at period art from 1000-1400 of Biblical events. People are depicted in current dress/arms and amour, not anything resembling 1st century AD garb. In some ways, the study of history is a luxury; you have to be reasonably free of war, famine, and/or pestilence and have financial means to pursue that study.

People did reenact back then. Romans "reenacted" scenes from their history in plays and in gladiatorial contests. In the Middle Ages, some jousts were "reenactments" of classical events or more recent ones, or Arthurian legends. But as their understanding of these events was limited, these reenactments were modern takes on old events.

In the 15th and 16th centuries, we see Roman and Greek revival influences in arms, armour, and period art (or at least what people thought Romans and Greeks looked like). It wasn't up to current historical standards, but was better than what came before. Happy

Collecting of anything (stamps, coins, arms/armour, books, sports memorabilia, or just plain money, etc.) is a natural instinct, I think. To be able to collect, you have to have time and resources (money and/or space, etc.). It's easier to have that in many parts of the world these days than it's ever been.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Sat 21 Nov, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

a curious reason:
for the degree of his son, a friend of mine gave to him:
1 antique and original book,
1 real and historical sword.

I asked if her son loved the historical fencing. He replied, no. Are only symbols of what I taught him, the importance of knowledge, honor and justice.
They book and the sword has cost nearly 1100 euros.
These symbols must be true, a sword from 50 euros, it was not true.
Nice, I liked this motivation . Happy
Ciao
Maurizio
Harry J. Fletcher

PostPosted: Sat 21 Nov, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: REPLY TO CHAD         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I think socio-political discussions are best left to forums that special in them (and this isn't one of those).

Agreed! We will not dicusss socio - political issues in this forum...and you will not use it to peddle books! Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Sat 21 Nov, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

personally, this book is already in my collection,
if I had not, I find a good service on this forum. Happy
my post above, outside the rules. I apologize.Blush
ciao
Maurizio

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > why do we buy this stuff?
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: