Saint Expeditus era armour type.
Hello guys.
I was looking some Saint Expeditus statues, and i examined their armours. I have an obssesive disorder, every time i see a statue, or a movie, or something else, i tend to think if they are armed or armored properly. So, I was wondering, Which type of armour Saint Expeditus should be wearing? What about his weaponry?

He died in 303 DC, so i guess the option should be around 290 dC.
Where Lorica Segmentata type armour used during such period?

Thanks.
He probably never existed so you can put him in any kind of armour that the Romans wore at the time. If he was a lowly soldier then give him a mail shirt with short sleeves. If he was of a higher rank then he may have had a musculata of some sort. Segmentata had largely been phased out by the fourth century.
Sirs-I would like to add that Lorica Squmata was becoming more and more popular at this time. Scales are easier to make than drawing good wire for Lorica Hamata,and the Empire, espically in the west had lost many of the state arms factories,espically after the goths took over Pannonia and Moesia.
Thanks for your helpful answers guys. I´m very grateful.
What do you think about their weaponry?, Were Gladius still used?
Did helmets change dunring that time?
Rodolfo Martínez wrote:
Thanks for your helpful answers guys. I´m very grateful.
What do you think about their weaponry?, Were Gladius still used?
Did helmets change dunring that time?

EVERYthing was changing, all the time! The legionary of 300 AD looked very different from one from 50 or 100 AD. "Gladius" is just Latin for "sword", but you would not have found the classic Pompeii or Mainz styles. Some swords did have grooved bone grips pretty much the same as in the first century, an some pommels and guards haven't changed all that much, though they are still generally different enough to be roughly datable. Blade shapes and styles were changing, too, with longer blades becoming more common, fullers being seen more often, and the shape of the point getting more rounded.

I guess helmets would look superficially like first century ones, but neckguards were generally larger and deeper, and reinforcing bars crossed over the top of the helmet were standard. Not sure how common spangenhelms or ridge helmets would have been yet.

The Roman Army Talk board is a good place to poke around for better details,

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/

Just do a search on "Late Roman Army", "third century AD", or something like that.

Vale,

Matthew
Thank you very much guys.
I´m very grateful. I´ll dig for some neck guards too.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: