Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Thanks for the input.
I found the messer I was thinking of with the twist.
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/displayimage....fullsize=1
That is a really nice weapon, Ben. The cross guard really makes it stand out. If this is what you decide to do, or some variation of it, I can't wait to see your project finished!
Isn't there a saying about someone forming a committee to create a horse and what the committee cam up with was a camel?

So having said that, I'm going to offer an opinion. No one said I had to be consistent! :D I think the curved grip with the twisted cross guard would result in an extraordinarily good looking and probably comfortable to grip and use weapon even if it isn't absolutely historically accurate.

Just because we don't have any surviving examples of something it doesn't mean that it wasn't done. Someone here uses the line (I'm paraphrasing) that "absence of evidence doesn't indicate evidence of absence".

I too am confident that your eye will lead you to the right decision in the end.
I took the suggestions I got and made some composite sketches (on the computer) to compare the different options.
Sorry about the image quality I didn't have time to do it by hand.
Let me know what you think.

Attachment: 31.02 KB
messers.jpg

You are an amazing artist Ben\. I like the look of all of those designs. Just a thought, but, if you kept the twisted guard but omitted the sharp quillon tips, it might look a little less...."Fantasy, I guess, for lack of a better term" Dont get me wrong, I like the origional quillons , but maybe a rounded or squared off finial would help make it look a bit more of a historical design? Maybe try different finials on both a twisted straight guard and the twisted recurved guard. What do you think?
The sharp curved tips of the guard do look cool though!! We can't help that some of the original pieces lacked a true artist behind the design.
All I can say is that if some historical sword maker failed to come up with something like the messer second from the bottom, shame on them. That would be a truly beautiful weapon.
In the drawing of the four, I like the hilt of the top two but not so much of the bottom two. Can't quite place the reason, though.

M.
Of the ones shown, I vote #2.

[ Linked Image ]
I vote for number 1 or number 3
Chris Artman wrote:
I vote for number 1 or number 3

Agreed.
I'm thinking of going with something like this. (and doing more research then a "historical" one)

Just ignore the grip as it is all out of proportion, and not the right shape. I like the tighter twist, and square cross-section of the quillons.

Attachment: 23.18 KB
img111.jpg

Wow, nice combination, I vote for this. :)
I still like number one...
Ben, I like the newest one with the tighter twist. I think the really long twisted ones looked a tad out of place with a weapon this short.

M.
Here is the blade after the first day's forging.

[ Linked Image ]

I'll be forging the final bevel and the tang next.

(no, it isn't a seax , just looks like one at the moment ;) )
Hey Ben,

Just my 2 cents, but I'm thinking the curved grip would put it more into the hunting sword category. The messers seemed to have an illusion of a curved grip because of the pommel which is kind of unique to that style of sword.

The blade is looking good, I've been enjoying watching your project progress.

Cheers!
Matt
Will the blade become broader during the forging or is it going to stay around that size?

M.
M. Eversberg II wrote:
Will the blade become broader during the forging or is it going to stay around that size?

M.

Yes, the blade will gain about a 1/8 to 1/4 in in width and about 1/2 -1 in in length, as well as a curve.

I think after doing a fair amount of research I decided to go with a more historical design. NOT a reproduction but rather a compilation of parts from extent messer from museums and private collections, with my own take of course.

Hope you like it.
Matthew Fedele wrote:

Just my 2 cents, but I'm thinking the curved grip would put it more into the hunting sword category. The messers seemed to have an illusion of a curved grip because of the pommel which is kind of unique to that style of sword.

I second that + the canted hilt/grip seems to be a feature prominent on sabres rather than tesaks/falchions/messers.
Nevertheless ,good luck with your project Ben :)
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Page 2 of 4

Jump to: