Go to page Previous  1, 2

white pine planks shouldn't be difficult... oh and for the linnen how much should i put? and should i display the linnen in a cross fibers pattern like this # (sorry for the english if you don't understand what i want to say is putting the first layer one way and the second one another way or if you prefer take a look at the number sign the horisontal lines are one and the vertical one is the other)
Make sure the first layer of cloth is attached like in this picture. if you have several layers, then change the direction each time.

/Viktor

Attachment: 10.04 KB
Cloth direction.JPG

If you are going to be training regularly, I wouldn't bother with a planked construction. Plywood holds up better, and no one can see it under a canvas covering anyway. Even plywood gets wrecked often enough, but it'll usually last a good season or so.

However, a planked shield is much nicer for displays and perhaps showfights.

Johan Schubert Moen
Cloth covered ply is, from extensive experience, your best choise for a figthing shield.
For an exact replica, 6mm linden boards covered with rawhide would be ideal. However, this moves your shield firmly from the hobyist price range, and requires a lot more time, tools and experience.
I am certain that I saw a source that mentioned linen facing, but I cannot seem to find it.

Help?
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: