early continental basket hilt
hello, i'm interested in some pictures of early continental basket hilt, in the album section i have found many examples of germanic basket hilt, but most coming from the late 16th century or without a specific datation.
i'm looking for early examples, mainly from the decade 1540-1550, i have seen some swiss saber with complex hilt dated 1530, but my focus is on straight bladed broadsword or backsword.

thanks for help

gabriele
Re: early continental basket hilt
Gabriele Becattini wrote:
hello, i'm interested in some pictures of early continental basket hilt, in the album section i have found many examples of germanic basket hilt, but most coming from the late 16th century or without a specific datation.
i'm looking for early examples, mainly from the decade 1540-1550, i have seen some swiss saber with complex hilt dated 1530, but my focus is on straight bladed broadsword or backsword.

thanks for help

gabriele

I can't help with a source for a continental example in that time period but I do know that a three bar "basket" hilt was found in the "Mary Rose" (the Tudor battleship that sank in 1548.)

Allen
Re: early continental basket hilt
Allen Reed wrote:
Gabriele Becattini wrote:

thanks for help

gabriele

I can't help with a source for a continental example in that time period but I do know that a three bar "basket" hilt was found in the "Mary Rose" (the Tudor battleship that sank in 1548.)

Allen

Mary Rose sank on 19 July 1545.

An almost complete, if damaged, sword was excavated from the wreck. It is one of the earliest datable English basket hilts. The basket is in the form of a saltir (4 bar).

For more information look here: http://www.maryrose.org/ship/hand2.htm

(I had the privilege of spending yesterday in the MR archives, examining, first-hand, artefacts from the ship; including knife hilts, the bows and clothing fragments.)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: