Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Anonymous, Daniel Sullivan, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New period armour acquisitions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jun, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: New period armour acquisitions         Reply with quote

Hi guys,

We just got in a couple of new period pieces. The first pictures show fingered gauntlets circa 1560-70 and the other photos are of a gothic cuisse (right leg) circa 1490. Additional Cuisse shots in second email

Attachment: 117.27 KB
inside_gauntlets.jpg
inside gauntlet

Attachment: 89.69 KB
both gauntlets [ Download ]

Attachment: 109.29 KB
etching on gauntlet [ Download ]

Attachment: 114.35 KB
thumb closeup [ Download ]

Attachment: 112.95 KB
cuisse [ Download ]
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jun, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: More Cuisse shots         Reply with quote

Here are the rest of the cuisse pictures

Attachment: 88.72 KB
inside of the cuisse [ Download ]

Attachment: 62.98 KB
rolled edge with wire [ Download ]

Attachment: 104.32 KB
slotting [ Download ]
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jun, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice looking stuff. I'm in the middle of commissioning a 15th century gothic harness with fluting, so the cuisse is of particular interest to me. Thanks for the pics!
David Quivey

Reading list: 21 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jun, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lovely, Allan! Thanks for sharing those! Those gauntlets in particular look to be in supprisingly good condition - the little I see of the leather looks fairly well preserved?
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jun, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David, the finger leathers are exceedingly brittle! We're as surprised as you are at the condition. They were "Professionally
Cleaned" before we got them but an application of BreakFree got several lames that were rust locked to free up . The rivets at the cuff that would have held the glove in place have been replaced at some time probably for display purposes
as they do not exhibit the same rust pitting as the rivets in the rest of the construction. For as dry as the leather is for the fingers several of them still exhibit latteral movement ( they swing from side to side at the point where they're attached to the knuckles ) .

Bill, the strength imparted by the ridge geometry is amazing ! You can squeeze the sides in a full two inches each (you're now exerting about maximum force ) and it returns to shape every time ( sacrilege I know, but we've been doing this since we got it ) and its made from 24 gauge steel, tops ! The strength imparted by the geometry of the ridging is truly impressive !

TOYS!!
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jun, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great pix! Thanks for sharing them. I'm surprised that the cuisse is 24 ga, but I guess we're conditioned to expect thicker metal (14-18g) due to the reproduction/re-enactment market. I really like the repousse (?) on the gauntlet cuffs.

Brian M
Jason Perfetto
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian because of the different use armour is put to today ( much heavier, fight practice every Tuesday night and a weekend long event every other weekend... that sort of thing ) modern armour is built in thicker gauges than period work . I was very
suprised at how thin the construct of period peices was myself years back when I first went to The Tower Armouries and
got to look at it close up . The gauntlets are etched in a floral spray pattern with a bird ( an eagle I think ) at the apex of each cuff . Glad you dug the pics . Oh this is Allan. Jason was logged on and happened to see your post so I just started typing .

Jason Perfetto
The Mercenary's Tailor
Armorer
Jason Perfetto
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian because of the different use armour is put to today ( much heavier, fight practice every Tuesday night and a weekend long event every other weekend... that sort of thing ) modern armour is built in thicker gauges than period work . I was very
suprised at how thin the construct of period peices was myself years back when I first went to The Tower Armouries and
got to look at it close up . The gauntlets are etched in a floral spray pattern with a bird ( an eagle I think ) at the apex of each cuff . Glad you dug the pics . Oh this is Allan. Jason was logged on and happened to see your post so I just started typing .

Jason Perfetto
The Mercenary's Tailor
Armorer
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh Brian repousse is basically the same thing as embossing . Small chisels and punches are used to raise shapes on the outside surface of metal by working from the inside surface . Etching is of course using an acid to remove metal in
specific areas to leave a pattern .
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:

Bill, the strength imparted by the ridge geometry is amazing ! You can squeeze the sides in a full two inches each (you're now exerting about maximum force ) and it returns to shape every time ( sacrilege I know, but we've been doing this since we got it ) and its made from 24 gauge steel, tops ! The strength imparted by the geometry of the ridging is truly impressive !

That's really awesome. Most armor these days is so much heavier than historical counterparts, much like the sword market not too long ago. Hopefully with the broadening study of period armor this will begin to level out. Many groups (ren fairre troupes being some of the most famous) get suited up in their all 14-12 gauge armor and start whacking each other with their 10 lbs + longswords, which will of course start to dent up the armor. Many other groups aren't using steel, but an example would be SCA combat, where the intent is to hit the armor, and hit it hard, with a rattan stick. While I'm not dismissing that type of recreation, it isn't historically correct fighting, where you tried to hit someplace the armor isn't. This is why the reproduction armor world has such hefty gauges, because the market demands it.
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Most armor these days is so much heavier than historical counterparts, much like the sword market not too long ago.

I was interested to read the page at Valentine Armouries about the weight of historical pieces versus reproduction items. http://www.varmouries.com/vweights.html
This would seem to explain the popularity of fluted armor in the late 15th and 16th Centuries, since it must have been possible to trim a lot of weight off the whole kit by ridging the surfaces.
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder if those gauntlets were from a "Black&White" suit originally?

Brian m
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Sweet Pieces!         Reply with quote

Allan;

Sweet Pieces you have there! VERY nice stuff! Thanks for not only posting the pictures, but the little comments about how the ribbing helps with the strength... something that we all may know on one level, but it's really, really nice to see original stuff doing just what it is "supposed to" do!

Sure looks like those Gauntlets are from a high-quality suit, too. You really scored with all of your new loot, now for you to make repro's of it! Nice Reiter-style Gauntlets coming up to the elbows, to almost reach the pauldrons, so you don't need the vambraces, rerebraces and couters, black-and-white paint job, etc... Big Grin

Thanks again for sharing!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bridal gauntlets AAHHHHLLLLL....( Homer Simpson drooling noise ) . Gordon I so want to make those .

Brian , black and white armours are created by either leaving the plates black from the forge and polishing the recessed
borders and any raised repoussed points or by painting the armour black ( the painted examples i've seen used a very
thick almost stove pipe type oil paint ) and polishing the "white " areas . The darkened color of the etch on the gauntlets
is the area that was slightly eaten away by the acid used so that the design stands out in relief vs etching the design into the metal . This style of etch was very popular and quite common on 16th century armour .
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Bridle Gauntlets         Reply with quote

Allan;

Well, since you seem to have some nice examples of gauntlets from the period I favor right in front of you, perhaps we should talk...

Gads, but what the heck. As they say, another day older, and deeper in debt, but gotta have more toys! Or at least complete the toy sets on hand! Big Grin

Gordon

Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon as soon as we get stocked up for faire and wade through the summer season there I think I will have to slot those
into the R&D schedual . I've wanted to do them for a long time but wasn't sure there was a market for them as we've primarily encountered folks with a medieval bent doing the renfaire thing .

Bill your comments regarding modern armour thickness were right on .
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Gauntlets         Reply with quote

Allan;

Sounds great! I look forward to seeing them listed!

Medieval Armour at Renfaires... I guess folks are just contrary. WTF?!

Gordon

Jason Perfetto
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: We just bought a mid-16th century tasset - see the pics         Reply with quote

We purchased this several weeks ago and it just arrived in the mail . Points of note are the profoundly deep etching ,
and the 450 year old finger prints rust etched into the back where the tasset was held to engage the belt from the fauld with the buckles on the tasset . The leathers were badly restored ( rawhide ) and we will be replacing them . Enjoy .

Second post will be made with additional photos

Attachment: 123.19 KB
full frontal.jpg
frontal shot of tasset

Attachment: 121.88 KB
buckle.jpg
close-up of buckle and filework on its strap

Attachment: 74.25 KB
buckles were brass cast and filed by hand [ Download ]

Attachment: 55.23 KB
very thick wire was used to roll over the bottom edge (for a deep countersink on the front) [ Download ]

Attachment: 99.49 KB
washers were made by clipping pieces of metal and punching holes in them (cut washers) [ Download ]

Jason Perfetto
The Mercenary's Tailor
Armorer
Jason Perfetto
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: additional photos of the 16th century tasset         Reply with quote

Here are additional photos of the 500 year old fingerprints

Attachment: 113.58 KB
fingerprints closer.jpg
look closely at the top right (by the corner of the strap) and you can see pitting and fingerprint swirls

Attachment: 114.16 KB
we noticed a patina color contrast on the back of the top plate [ Download ]

Attachment: 107.37 KB
The fingerprints are very evident here - Wow! [ Download ]

Jason Perfetto
The Mercenary's Tailor
Armorer
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason and his credit card aquired this totenkopf helm recently . The seller wasn't sure of its origins ( Victorian or original ) . This is a highly stylized form of this helmet type with the skull motif reposed (sp) into the face of which we've only seen one other ( lost out in an auction last year ) . Based on the construction ( skull forged from one piece , ear holes ect.) it would appear to be from the early to mid17th century but because of two construction details. We think its a funery
piece . It has no liner ( and never had one, no rivet holes at all ) and the neck lames which normally would have been articulated on rivets and leathers are fix riveted so that they don't move . This is the coolest thing we've seen in a long time and it was a struggle not to shut down production to learn how to do it . Enjoy !

Attachment: 122.88 KB
base 3.jpg
inside view of helmet - note lames on base

Attachment: 77.54 KB
Mislocated rivet hole above left eye - typical of period pieces [ Download ]

Attachment: 100.27 KB
close-up of skull [ Download ]

Attachment: 83.67 KB
front view with visor open [ Download ]

Attachment: 69.2 KB
Helmet fully open [ Download ]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New period armour acquisitions