Sword in the museum in Glasgow
Hi all,
Record on page 27 there is a sword that interests me very much.
Is there anyone who has photos? Is located in the museum in Glasgow, so it is written.
Thanks, your help would be greatly appreciated.
This the sword:

Attachment: 53.91 KB
1Gaddhjalt Oakeshott.jpg

I know the one you mean. it's on display in one of the side galleries of the Kelvingrove.
remarkably thin, lenticular section blade.

I have one or two photographs of the side profile, but if you prefer to wait a two or three weeks, I can get you more detailed photos the next time I'm there of it in particular.
its generally not my era of focus, so I've not really got a lot of reference photographs of it.

its reference number, by the way, for the Glasgow Museums is A.1966.17

Attachment: 158.23 KB
DSCF8454.jpg

JG Elmslie wrote:
I know the one you mean. it's on display in one of the side galleries of the Kelvingrove.
remarkably thin, lenticular section blade.

I have one or two photographs of the side profile, but if you prefer to wait a two or three weeks, I can get you more detailed photos the next time I'm there of it in particular.
its generally not my era of focus, so I've not really got a lot of reference photographs of it.

its reference number, by the way, for the Glasgow Museums is A.1966.17

Mister, JG Elmslie,
thanks very much, really great.
What I found strange is the narrowing of the blade under the guard. From my information it was 50 mm below the guard 54 mm the swelling and then again the taper toward the tip. It is usually straight or exactly the opposite. I see from your picture that is rather weird, at least from what I know. This is a sword that he had in his collection master Oakeshott. I look forward to your future photos.
I really enjoyed. Thank you. :)
Ciao
Maurizio
Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:

Mister, JG Elmslie,
thanks very much, really great.
What I found strange is the narrowing of the blade under the guard. From my information it was 50 mm below the guard 54 mm the swelling and then again the taper toward the tip. It is usually straight or exactly the opposite. I see from your picture that is rather weird, at least from what I know. This is a sword that he had in his collection master Oakeshott. I look forward to your future photos.
I really enjoyed. Thank you. :)
Ciao
Maurizio

youre welcome - it's going to be a few weeks until I will be in Glasgow... I'm actually at my parents' home, cat-sitting for them while they're on holiday :)

but sometime around the 14th of november, I hope I can get over there, and I'll get more details.

there is a definate taper in the first 1- 1.5cm of the blade, just where the shoulders of the blade narrow into the tang - yet it looks quite sharply defined in shape there, so I suspect that it was a result of how it was made rather than loss from corrosion or sharpening - perhaps the swordsmith started the taper in to the tang shoulder just a little too soon along the blade - it seems, if I recall, that the narrowing is more pronounced on one side than the other.

anyhow, I'll see what I can get - I cant promise I'll get access to handle it (I need to arrange a viewing of some stuff, but I should'nt get too greedy and ask to study everything :) ), but I will make sure I can get photographs and make notes.
Here is a low res version of my picture of the famous Ingelri sword. When looking at it in person, it's fun to imagine Oakeshott rubbing it with various household solvents, with his own hands, until the inscription 'fairly lept into view'.
J.D. Crawford wrote:
Here is a low res version of my picture of the famous Ingelri sword. When looking at it in person, it's fun to imagine Oakeshott rubbing it with various household solvents, with his own hands, until the inscription 'fairly lept into view'.

Yes, I remember, various household solvents... :eek:
I found this detail. You can see the famous inscription "INGELRII"
Thanks for the photo, mister Crawford.
Ciao
Maurizio

Attachment: 49.5 KB
A1966.17_02.jpg

A few more pics

http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/showExhibition....id=3#slide
http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/showExhibition....id=4#slide

Danny

Page 1 of 1