New NYHFA cutting video
Hi all,

Here's another cutting video. This one has schielhau and krumphau, as well as cutting from the draw. It also shows some students cutting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKbohLx3T-M
Re: New NYHFA cutting video
This is imo the best longsword tatami test cutting video out there with a complete curriculum demonstrated. Thanks a lot! I'll share it around. :P

Michael Edelson wrote:
Hi all,

Here's another cutting video. This one has schielhau and krumphau, as well as cutting from the draw. It also shows some students cutting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKbohLx3T-M
Michael, thank you for posting these. I really enjoy watching both cutting, but also attitude. Seems like you had a good time :-)
Hey Michael,

I'm suprised you find the XV (ie, the Talhoffer) especially hard to cut with? Obviously its not the tatami laser that the Baron or even the Brescia are, but I thought it was still a decent cutting sword. Especially given the damage you see similarly proportioned swords in the manuals do.

I'm actually in the process of sourcing some freshly culled feral pigs to test mine on, so that should be interesting. :)
I have to agree with Peter here. I really like your videos! Keep up the good work.
/E
Thanks guys! Yes, we really do have a lot of fun. If HEMA isn't fun, why do it? :)

Taylor,

I don't find the Talhoffer especially hard to cut with, though it offers substantially more resistance. I don't think it's any harder to cut Tatami with it than something like the Earl, and it may even be easier. But swords like Brescia, Duke, etc. offer much less resistance and are easier to cut with.

If you have someone that can cut tatatami with one of the better cutters but just barely, and you hand that guy a Talhoffer, Earl, etc., then he's not going to cut. I see this all the time, and if I'm doing a cutting class/seminar whatever and someone who has never cut before shows up with a XV or other thick war sword, I say "oh boy".

Now if you just swing like a mad man it's not much of an issue, but if you try to limit your movements to stay "tactical", then it can be a challenge to get the extra power and velocity you need for swords like this.

But then...who cares? The XV was not designed to be a wicked cutting machine, and it does its historicaly correct duties quite well. The fact that it can also cut tatami, and not horribly, is a perk.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: